TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726672 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #860 on: August 03, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »

Glad you decided to join us....I was impressed by your user name. Also glad you liked Alice...she's still going strong for an old lass.
And while I'm here... Temperance Movement at Greenbelt? Sure has changed since I were a lad.

Well I never did..
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #861 on: August 06, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

hello Barbara ..ohh dear Anstey ... still you have messrs Tuck and Henderson to comfort you ..I do hope you aren't a Foxes Fan...one more would be just tooo much to deal with  Cheesy Its good to welcome you though Some of my best friends are from Leicester  Cheesy I look forward to reading your contributions  Fez Tiara

Oi Dave, I am not a Foxes fan. Much POSHer in fact.

Cheesy Grin
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #862 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »

Lots of new TAWers - welcome one and all.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #863 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »

Lots of new TAWers - welcome one and all.

They wont stop

The Dude abides
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #864 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »

won't stop as in won't hang around, or won't stop as in there are millions more on the way?
I think I know what your answer is....

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #865 on: August 07, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »

Welcome, Redmond and Derek.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #866 on: August 07, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »

won't stop as in won't hang around, or won't stop as in there are millions more on the way?
I think I know what your answer is....

Well, you see, this happens every year around Cropredy and very few ever bother again unless they want something

The Dude abides
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #867 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

Agreed, but have to say that due to the sell-out this year it has generated quite a few more than in previous years

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #868 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »

Agreed, but have to say that due to the sell-out this year it has generated quite a few more than in previous years

It has sold out before.

The Dude abides
dcmissen(david missen)

Loc: Mid Norfolk

« Reply #869 on: August 10, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »

Good evening. I am David Missen and am based in the Far East (ie Norfolk)
I thought joining Talkawhile might let me get more out of Cropredy another year- it would be good to get the gossip in advance.
I first saw Fairport at Reading Uni in 1978ish, again in about 1988 and at Cropredy in 2010 and yesterday
Pretty wide ranging tastes. Folk definitely, but prepared to give most things a go (see below)
Cropredy, and prior to that Maddy Prior & Friends- or possibly Al Stewart
I would like to say "The Full English" (which I would thoroughly recommend and have in the car), but actually it was a bargain bucket "Best of Pat Benatar" bought yesterday - a bargain at 2 quid!
Tonight Sir Robert, I will be Al Stewart and will sing "Old Compton Street Blues"
-
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #870 on: August 10, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »

hello David and welcome to here  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
dcmissen(david missen)

« Reply #871 on: August 10, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »

Have I just passed the initiative test by working out that new posts come at the BOTTOM of the page rather than the first screen you see? It only took me about 30 minutes (you wont hurry me- I come from Norfolk).
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #872 on: August 10, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »

Have I just passed the initiative test by working out that new posts come at the BOTTOM of the page rather than the first screen you see? It only took me about 30 minutes (you wont hurry me- I come from Norfolk).

You can change that if you like... but I'll leave you to figure out how  Wink  Grin

Welcome to Talkawhile!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Viv G

« Reply #873 on: August 11, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »

I've never figured out how to change it, and I've been here a while.When you suss it out can you let me know!?Ta! Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #874 on: August 12, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »

As an AS fan, I'm prepared to hear anyone sing 'Pld Compton Street Blues.'  Cool

Welcome.
dcmissen(david missen)

« Reply #875 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »

As an AS fan, I'm prepared to hear anyone sing 'Pld Compton Street Blues.'  Cool

Welcome.

Hmmmm. you may regret that one day. I can even do the clicks where my 1970s vinyl version is scratched...
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #876 on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »

Welcome.

Hmmmm. you may regret that one day. I can even do the clicks where my 1970s vinyl version is scratched...

Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
dcmissen(david missen)

« Reply #877 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »

You can change that if you like... but I'll leave you to figure out how  Wink  Grin

Welcome to Talkawhile!

Cheers

OK I give up - I reallly can't see how to change it and it is driving me nuts. Any chance of the teeniest little clue...please...nice kind  moderator
Nick
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #878 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »

Welcome to Talkawhile!

Cheers

OK I give up - I reallly can't see how to change it and it is driving me nuts. Any chance of the teeniest little clue...please...nice kind  moderator
Nick

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
JimmyU
n3wb

« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »

Hi there!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

Jimmy, I'm a student and freelance web developer from the northern parts of Sweden. That is to say a place where the sun never shines and you need skis in the middle of June Wink  Well, not really. Actually it's pretty nice here, but I wouldn't mind having less cold winters (below -30*C sometimes) and a bit longer summers.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I'm a really big fan to folk music in general. I'm also planning for a radio project which I will probably write about here to get some feedback.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Uhm... I'm sorry, but not much to be honest. Wink

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Folk music in general. Especially Celtic though as I play the tin- and low whistle myself. I'm also singing in a couple of choirs. I'm not only listening to folk music, I tend to listen to various types of music. Though I try to stay away from the annoying pop music that all the local radio stations here seem to love...

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Well.. That's a good question. There aren't really many festivals/gigs here with the kind of music I enjoy listening to. A couple of days ago I went to listen on a military bagpipe band though.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

The very last CD wasn't really for myself. So I'll take a previous one: Swedish Folksongs by the (not very well-known) Swedish tenor Dagfin Malm. Yes, I would recommend it. It's a quite old recording but he's a good singer and of course I would like to hear some Swedish music as well Wink

7.  I'm afraid I can't really answer this question. I've never been able to tell which singer I believe is "the best". Right now one of my favourite songs are "Kilkelly" performed by Robbie O'Connell
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: