TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 731333 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #780 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »

Hi Paul

Think it's fine to talk about your CD in  'Active '.. You have enough posts that you should be able to start your own topic

As for smileys, you should be able to click on whichever smiley you want to use and it will appear. No more than 6 smilies per post though  Grin

And if you are doing a link to your CD then use the hyperlink the blue one above the 'winking' smiley to enclose it ([url ][ /url] ) otherwise it won't work  Cheesy

Although you probably know all this anyway...

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
hurdygurdyman (Paul)
Banjo music is happy music

Loc: Shrewsbury, Shropshire

« Reply #781 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »

Thanks Jude. I like to observe the protocols. javascript:void(0);

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got swing
hurdygurdyman (Paul)
Banjo music is happy music

Loc: Shrewsbury, Shropshire

« Reply #782 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »

Smiley That's got it. I was dragging when I should have been clicking  Grin

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got swing
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #783 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »

Smiley That's got it. I was dragging when I should have been clicking  Grin

Always catches people out that  Grin Roll Eyes

ThomasB

« Reply #784 on: September 07, 2013, 02:25:38 AM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? Thomas from New Jersey

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? It seems to be the place to chat all things Fairport.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? I've been a Richard Thompson fan for 15 years now and about 7 years ago I decided to delve into his past which led me to Fairport and all of its related treasures. I attended my first Cropredy(and warm up show) in 2012. I would say I am the biggest fan in my town here in NJ...but nowhere near the hardcore level as some on here I would imagine.

4.   What kind of music do you like? If I had to give a better answer than a little bit of everything I would say classic rock/progressive rock.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? Ian Hunter at one of the last shows at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ. It was packed, sweaty, loud...fantastic.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? I just got an order in today of Home and Unity by John Tams and Swaddling Songs by Mellow Candle. Playing them as I type this and like what I hear so far, so I think I will recommend them.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Freddie Mercury and I will
            sing:  ' It's Late'   (I can thank Queen for opening my ears to more things than what was played on Top 40 radio back in the 80's)

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to a lot of reading and picking my head up over the parapet every once and awhile.

Thomas
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #785 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »

Hello Thomas and welcome  Cheesy

ThomasB

« Reply #786 on: September 10, 2013, 06:22:32 AM »

Hello Thomas and welcome  Cheesy

Hello....thanks for the welcome.
beatnick(Maurice)

Loc: Kent

« Reply #787 on: September 24, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »

Hiya everyone .Only recently joined .The forum looks like the ideal place to hang out. Fav bands and artists ? Well  here are just some .Beatles ,Donovan, Fairport  ,Roy Harper  ,Dylan, Pentangle, Byrds, Beach Boys (
Pet Sounds era),Hendrix and a few of the acid folk people like Trees .Also blues and Northern Soul. Smiley

I might know nothing about art but I know what I like.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »

Hiya everyone .Only recently joined .The forum looks like the ideal place to hang out. Fav bands and artists ? Well  here are just some .Beatles ,Donovan, Fairport  ,Roy Harper  ,Dylan, Pentangle, Byrds, Beach Boys (
Pet Sounds era),Hendrix and a few of the acid folk people like Trees .Also blues and Northern Soul. Smiley

Hi. You should find plenty of friends around here with tastes like that. Welcome. Cool
beatnick(Maurice)

Loc: Kent

« Reply #789 on: September 25, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »

Thanks Alan.I forgot to mention that apart from music,my other great love is comedy.My fav's being Monty Python,Peter Cook and Spike Milligan.Also like Python off shoots,ie Ripping Yarns and Fawlty Towers.

I might know nothing about art but I know what I like.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #790 on: October 07, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I am Ronald and I live in Rotterdam

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I like birdwatching and cycle around a lot but unfortunately fell about 3 weeks ago and since then I am stuck at home so what do you do then, well read a lot and surf the net and I don't remember how but then I found this site and find it interesting, fascinating and amusing to read many of the posts because Fairport etc are some of the main topics. Did join to get some info as well.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

From the moment I bought their first lp until 1978 I did not only buy all their albums but read every article I could lay my hands on. I know of the festival but have never been there.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

I shall explain. Somehow when I discover something I really do like I  go for it which means I virtually stop listening to other types of music. At the end of the 1960's I did buy a lot of rock albums but after the third Fairport album I got interested in Folkmusic and for several years I only listened to that, did buy a lot of records in the Dobells record shop on Charing Cross Road London. Around 1975 I became addicted to Reggae but still did buy some Folkmusic. In 1981 I was in Madagascar for 6 weeks and while staying with a family there I heard (at 6 in the morning) very nice African guitar band music. Later when I  got home I started looking for this and discovered that the music of Congo was the best there was and did go to Brussels many many times to buy records (Congo having been a Belgian colony). This addiction lasted about 30 years and in 2007 my wife and I started own forum called Vibes d'Afrique but it was closed by the provider last July because we had (according to them) broken the rules but they never told us what we did wrong. At first disappointed but now I am quite happy with it, it gives me much more time to do other things but most of all the modern Congolese music changed very much the last couple of years and I did not really like it anymore. The main reason was the Mabanga or name calling. Several years ago Congolese artists started advertising that if you wanted your name mentioned in a song you had to contact them and when you paid about 500 to 1000 Euros they would call out your name, so a lot of rich people did this and whole albums were spoiled by the endless naming of names in between the singing. Congolese singer Werrason called out around 1000 names on a double cd which meant that even before the cd was released he had earned a lot of money but for he listener it is most annoying and many people got put off by it. So now I am listening again to a lot of Folkmusic, I did sell all my Rock albums and most of my Reggae collection but somehow could never part with my Folk collection

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

I think it was the 50 years of Congolese music show in Brussels a couple of years ago. It was very good because old and new artists from both the Congos were there backed by some of the best Congolese musicians.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Zanzibar by Luciana Demingongo from Congo Brazzaville. I would recommand it but only to someone who is interested in that type of music. (Congolese pop music not being everybody's cup of tea)

7.   Complete the following sentence:

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Martin Wyndham-Read and I will
            sing:  ' Copper and May
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #791 on: October 07, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »

Hello Ronald!

Hope you get better soon  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #792 on: October 07, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »

Welcome Ronald.  Cool
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #793 on: October 07, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

Hello Ronald

And welcome! So glad you like the 1st FC album  Grin Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #794 on: October 07, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »

Hello Ronald

Poor Ronald probably has no idea why you're winking at him like that.......Ms Dyble.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

Hello Ronald

Poor Ronald probably has no idea why you're winking at him like that.......Ms Dyble.   Grin

Jules

Grin

Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #796 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

Bridgwit, Alan and Jude, thanks for the welcome!

Jules of course I know who Jude is  Smiley

Jude I have always liked that album and still do.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #797 on: October 08, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »

Hello Ronald

And welcome! So glad you like the 1st FC album  

Jules

you surely can't mean........................................................ Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool

The Dude abides
matthewpiano
n3wb

« Reply #798 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »

Hello everyone!

Just signed up so thought I'd start by saying hello.

I'm here because I love folk music (amongst other genres) and am always interested in keeping up-to-speed with what is going on, and chatting about favourite bands, singers and albums.  My favourites include Ralph McTell, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Heidi Talbot, Bella Hardy, Lucy Ward, Richard Thompson, as well as more rock-focused bands Barclay James Harvest, Strawbs, and Moody Blues.  I'm also a musician myself (piano).

Looking forward to some interesting chats along the way!

Matthew :-)

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #799 on: November 03, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »

Welcome Matthew, glad you found your way here  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 56   Go Up
  Print