TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726665 times)
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #700 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

Hi Jude and thanks for info. OK, I've added child boards to my settings now and that's opened up all sorts of archival stuff. What prompted my request was I was looking for reports from Cropredy 2009 (which I missed) but a search revealed nothing. Cropredy 2011 reports all present and correct but nothing beyond that. With Cropredy being the big event in the year, I assumed you guys would have reviewed all of them since TAW started, but I can't find anything... Thanks for your help and it's nice to be here, by the way!

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #701 on: June 21, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »

Hi Jude and thanks for info. OK, I've added child boards to my settings now and that's opened up all sorts of archival stuff. What prompted my request was I was looking for reports from Cropredy 2009 (which I missed) but a search revealed nothing. Cropredy 2011 reports all present and correct but nothing beyond that. With Cropredy being the big event in the year, I assumed you guys would have reviewed all of them since TAW started, but I can't find anything... Thanks for your help and it's nice to be here, by the way!

Nice to have you here Gouty  and incidentally the bar is to the left I will have a pint of something to keep the rain out..  Grin
Faulty (Andy)
n3wb

« Reply #702 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:03 PM »

Hello Talkawhile Members

Newbie here.

I'm Andy and I play percussion in Green Fortune (www.greenfortune.co.uk) , we are based in South Derbys, NW Leicestershire, gig a fair bit and will be playing a short live broadcast for Hermitage FM from Moira Furnace Folk Festival this weekend.

We are looking for a bass player if anyone out there is interested.

thanks

Andy Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #703 on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

Hi Faulty..and welcome to Talkawhile..

First thing you should do is get yourself unanonymised.. for you there should be a section titled in Red about anonymous members, Read that and do what it says and you will then be ok.

Do join in with the board and talk about the music that interests you, try not to use us just as a band-promotion place Undecided  Smiley

Jude (newbie welcoming mod)

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Faulty (Andy)
n3wb

« Reply #704 on: August 15, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »

Thanks Jude
Much appreciated, I'm now unanonymised I think.

Can't seem to find the tab where I can start a new topic, unless that is I'm not allowed yet!

Thanks
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »

I think you have to have posted a number of times before you can do that. 10 times rings a bell but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #706 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

Thanks Jude
Much appreciated, I'm now unanonymised I think.

Can't seem to find the tab where I can start a new topic, unless that is I'm not allowed yet!

Thanks

Hi Faulty you do need to have made 10 posts before you can start new topics, add photos and start polls. And the posts must be in the main part of the board, not in the (other) New Members section. I see you are now unanonymised, as that would have been another requirement  Smiley

So start talking to us all Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #707 on: August 15, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »

You can also ask an Admin to enable that feature for you, but the final part of the jigsaw is that on this board you must have your real first name as part of your displayed name (if only in brackets).

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Paul@Vanda
n3wb

Loc: Weston-super-Mare

« Reply #708 on: August 22, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »

1. I am Paul Horton (Paul@Vanda on the forum). I am a professional photographer from Weston-super-Mare.  Find me with Julia at Cropredy under the twirly balloon flag pole.  

2. To meet and chat to kindred spirits and to try and overcome the post-Cropredy withdrawal symptoms.

3. I have grown up and grown older with Fairport.  They were regulars on our gig circuit back in the 60s and 70s when we say them several times.  Have bought all the albums on vinyl, tape, cd and now digital. Always go to the Weston-super-Mare Playhouse gig.  Have opnly been to the last two Cropredys (just never got round to it before, but having been initiated can't imagine I will miss it again. Buy our tickets for Christmas and it has become the high point of the year.

4. Wide and eclectic taste from jazz to rock and world music.  Always veer towards the "folky" side of things though and am very interested in collecting traditional folk songs and tunes and learning their history.  I play various things with strings (guitars. mandolins, fiddle etc), Native American flutes, piano and anything else that takes my fancy at the time and I can sneak into the house.  Far too many instruments and now under a strict one in/one out rule imposed by Julia.  

5. Last gig was Cropredy, but this year also went to the Bristol Folk Festival (Cara Dillon the high for me) and have seen Bellowhead (three times), Frank Turner, Stornaway, Laura Marling.

6. Last CD bought - two actually:  

Young Man in America - Anais Mitchell  (would definitely recommend)
Penguin Eggs - Nic Jones (lent my copy to somebody ages ago and never got it back - I WILL track you down thief!)

7. "Tonight Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Joni Mitchel and I will sing Night Ride Home.  (OK I need the sex change first, but if it comes to an all time favourite, Joni is way out there on her own.  Always loved her, so guess this will make me slightly narcissistic too......oh well!)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #709 on: August 22, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

Welcome Paul.

From your flag description I think I might have been sitting quite near you at Cropredy at one point.

You may get away with the Joni song. Her voice was beginning to deepen a little by then.  Wink
Paul@Vanda
n3wb

Loc: Weston-super-Mare

« Reply #710 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »

Welcome Paul.

From your flag description I think I might have been sitting quite near you at Cropredy at one point.

You may get away with the Joni song. Her voice was beginning to deepen a little by then.  Wink

Thanks Al.  I think there were a couple of similar flags in the field. We were to the left of the mixing desk tent as you look at the stage.  You're right about Joni's voice - too many fags over the years).
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #711 on: August 22, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »

I think there were a couple of similar flags in the field. We were to the left of the mixing desk tent as you look at the stage.  

Yep, that's where I was.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #712 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »

Don't give up on the Joni Mitchell covers. Apparently there's a JM impersonator/transvestite who plays shows in America, singing falsetto.  Grin
Artyfarty
n3wb

« Reply #713 on: August 26, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »

Hello, I'm Ann and new to this forum lark so be gentle with me please ....

I've been a Fairport fan since about 1969 and am now lucky enough to be working at Cropredy putting on the mobility hire service - I say 'working' but it's a real pleasure meeting great people and hearing some terrific music.  I like all kinds of music (with the exception of Lieder and 'posh' pretend folk music). Cropredy 2012 was the last festival I attended and because of work I wasn't able to see much of the stage, but I did sneak down to watch Squeeze and of course Matty and MOTL which cannot be missed no matter what! As it happens the last CD I bought was Fairport By Popular Request which I bought on their Wintour (I do listen to other music honest, just not bought any recently).  And finally, just because it keeps running through my head today - “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Simon Nicol and I will
            sing:  ' The Hiring Fair'   (if I can grow the beard in time)
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #714 on: August 27, 2012, 04:07:18 AM »

Cheesy Good to see you Ann and well done for putting on the Mobility Service ..
If i don't see you before ..then its next years MOTL but I'm always hopeful of meeting fellow TAWers in between. (If its at hte bar its Stowfords or XXXXXX)  Cool
 Roll Eyes Take no notice of the rough and wild members on this forum .. Most of them are OK really (just lacking finesse you know!!!) I am sure we will benefit from your particular stance on music, methods and merriment and i look forward to your posts and comments

DaveP Fez Tiara
Artyfarty
n3wb

« Reply #715 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »

Thankyou Dave P, what a lovely welcome.  I shall avert my eyes if anyone gets too rough for my delicate sensitivities  Shocked
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #716 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

Hello Ann...  good to have you here...

I love your choice of fave song!

We are all (mostly) friendly.. just watch out for the Pirate and his mate that eats Pasties....

(Oh yes and be careful of the Frog too  Grin)

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Artyfarty
n3wb

« Reply #717 on: August 27, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »

Thankyou Amethyst- I've heard tell of the Pirate and Odd-Shoe Pastie, but the Frog? - no - should I be afraid?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #718 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »

Oh yes... be very afraid.....  Shocked Wink

Nah  he's a pussycat really....  Tongue

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #719 on: August 30, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

He may be a pussy cat, but beware, his bottles hold tigers...
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: