TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726380 times)
Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #680 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »

You can't do much worse than wikipedia or allmusic.com
[/quote]

That's true. But if I want to do Wiki, Google, Yahoo, or any cookadidledoo.... I just go there and avoid human interaction altogether.

I am overloaded through work and tired and can't go on any Internet search.

Au revoir.

P.

dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »

Hello everybody,

I've been listening to FC for many, many years - they were one of my favourite bands when I was growing up.  Been to Cropredy quite a few times (about a dozen, I think).  I did sometimes wonder why some people were wearing a fez and now, having seen your smilies, I guess I know.

Most recent gigs - Show of Hands at Cecil Sharp House (decided to go for the warm-up show, rather than the RAH concert); Pentangle at the Half Moon

Last cds - Judy Roderick: Woman Blue (only came across her recently, great voice); the Byrds: There is a Season box set (a mixed bag, but superb value)

Last festival - The GBFF at Butlins in Skegness.  Great fun, as was the previous one.  The ideal antidote to Xmas shopping

Favourite track - changes all the time, but probably the Byrds - Eight Miles High, followed by Blue Nile - Tinseltown in the Rain (can't beat a decent bit of doom and gloom).

Ian
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »

Hello Ian  Cheesy

Welcome to Talkawhile. If you attend Cropredy this year, you must come up to us Fez and Tiara types and introduce yourself.  Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Eugene K

Loc: Los Angeles

« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »

Hi all,

Pleased to be a new addition to the forum!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

My name is Eugene - I was born in Latvia (USSR at the time), which explains the uncommon name Wink Grew up in New York; recently made the move to the US West Coast.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I have a hard time finding friends who are into this particular genre and I needed a place where I can chat about Fairport/RT/folk without getting confused looks  Grin

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Let's see - been a fan for a couple of years now, obsessively so. It's my dream to go to Cropredy; I've never attended (let alone been in the UK.) The chances for making it this year are slim, but I'll see if I can convince the girlfriend at some point down the road.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

A wide range; trad-folk is definitely on the list. I was big into classic rock for a long time until I needed something new. I'd say for the most part, I listen to folk, some current indie-rock, and the greats (Young, Dylan, Zeppelin, Floyd, etc.)

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

That would be a Ryan Adams solo show (not to be confused with Bryan) in San Diego. For those of you that aren't familiar, he's an alt-country singer/songwriter. I had a great time - Ryan was in great spirits, constantly joking with the audience, telling stories and ad-libbing - which is great, because he's been known to be "difficult" at times!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

That would be "Through Low Light and Trees" by Smoke Fairies. I certainly would recommend it. The band consists of two girls from Sussex, who draw on unique influences, from Sandy Denny to delta blues. Very haunting melodies that creep up on you; although there are a couple of lulls in the album.

7.   Complete the following sentence:

Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, David Gilmour and I will
            sing: Wish You Were Here.

I hope to get to know all of you better!

Cheers

Thinking your mind was my own in a dream
What would you wonder and how would it seem?
Living in castles a bit at a time
The King started laughing and talking in rhyme.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #684 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »

Welcome to Talkawhile, Eugene Smiley
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »

Hello Eugene. Hope you can persuade your girlfriend to come to Cropredy.  Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #686 on: April 16, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »

Hi, definitely agree with you about the Smoke Fairies. The new album is out soon as well.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Eugene K

Loc: Los Angeles

« Reply #687 on: April 18, 2012, 05:12:21 AM »

Welcome to Talkawhile, Eugene Smiley

Hello Eugene. Hope you can persuade your girlfriend to come to Cropredy.  Tiara

Thanks guys!

Hi, definitely agree with you about the Smoke Fairies. The new album is out soon as well.

I didn't know that - I'm certainly looking forward to it now!

Thinking your mind was my own in a dream
What would you wonder and how would it seem?
Living in castles a bit at a time
The King started laughing and talking in rhyme.
Claire M

Loc: Brampton

Lifelong Spanner

« Reply #688 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »

Hiya,

1. I’m Claire but everyone calls me Lovey, so I tend to answer to Lovey as well.

2. I joined to check tour dates because Steeleye Span have no website.

3. I know I couldn't pronounce “Cropredy” for ages.

4. Blues/folk with a bit of heavy metal thrown in; would've been the other way 'round about 5-10 years ago had I not gone off that a bit, even though I look like I haven't sometimes.

5. Martin Simpson @ Saxon Hall with Melrose Quartet (who really reminded me of Steeleye) and there was blues played in between. I was actually glad to be near the front then Smiley Really wanted the boots on the stage too.

6.  Melrose Quartet's EP – no, I hate it Wink Seriously, it's brilliant, wish I’d been aware of them before Sad

7. I'd sing some old blues standard while a slide guitar went waow in the background.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #689 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

Good to meet you lovely . Please feel free to partake of the fruits available in different topics and don't be afraid to contribute .. The freidns we have in here are ok in the main but don't be scared to give them a slap if you feel you need to
Hope to meet you at gigs and festivals over hte  next few months

DaveP
Chris Wade

« Reply #690 on: June 07, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »

Hello there  Grin
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #691 on: June 07, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »

Hi and welcome

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #692 on: June 07, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »

Hello there  Grin

Hi Murdoch and welcome  Grin

You may have noticed that you have 'anonymous member' under your name, which means you should be able to see a section entitled 'Anonnymous members please read this' or something similar in the About this Board section.. Have a look at that and it will tell you how to unanonymouse yourself. Until you do that there will be certain bits of the board and certain functions that you can't access... Shocked

Hope you will enjoy being here, tell us a bit about yourself and be welcome Cheesy

Jude Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Chris Wade

« Reply #693 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

Thanks Jude. Grin
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #694 on: June 09, 2012, 07:18:32 AM »

There are bits of this board that very few people access .. Its scary dark and you need someone to hold your Hand!!
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #695 on: June 19, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm Gary and I registered with Talkawhile in 2008 but this is my first posting...! I have, however, enjoyed reading your jolly banter as a guest over the years. I've been a Fairport fan since the 70s when I saw Swarb on TV (my Elvis or Beatles on Ed Sullivan moment) and have been to all Cropredys bar one since 1988. Before that I used to see Fairport at the Half Moon, Putney whenever they played. I like folk/traditional/acoustic music obviously but also dub, reggae, jazz, classic pop and indie. Last gig I went to was The Blockheads at The Lexington pub in London last week. (They were good but I preferred them at Cropredy last year. All you folkies should check out their support act that night, though: Skinny Lister - brilliant). Other recent gigs - Elvis Costello, British Sea Power, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Last CD? Well, it's all downloads round our way now but I'd recommend the Alabama Shakes album and Yours Truly Cellophane Nose by Beth Jeans Houghton And The Hooves Of Destiny. Oh, and 90 Bisodol (Crimond) by Half Man Half Biscuit is a joy.

Well, that's me. I've gone on a bit, as is my wont. Is there a limit to how long these postings have to be?

Nice to meet you.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #696 on: June 19, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »

Welcome Gary (from another gouty bloke).
Agree with you re the Skinnies. I was looking forward to seeing them at Cambridge next month, but they've decided that touring the US is a priority.
Hope it isn't another age before you post in here again!

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #697 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »

Welcome Gary (from another gouty bloke).
Agree with you re the Skinnies. I was looking forward to seeing them at Cambridge next month, but they've decided that touring the US is a priority.
Hope it isn't another age before you post in here again!

Thanks. No, look, I'm back again now! Must get back to work in a minute though...

Actually, I've been gout-free for about 18 months now, touch wood, but the memory lingers on. I had to give up vegetarianism - 27 years of lentils and kidney beans weren't helping - and since I've varied my diet I've been pain free. Which proves what I'd said all along, that it was nothing to do with the beer...

Skinny Lister were described as being 'like the Pogues but with better teeth...!'

Bye for now.

Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #698 on: June 20, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »

Hi again TAWhilers,

Is there an archive of old posts on this site? Or do old topics/threads get deleted after a while?

Thanks

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #699 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »

Hi again TAWhilers,

Is there an archive of old posts on this site? Or do old topics/threads get deleted after a while?

Thanks

Some parts of the board go back a long way, the Talkawhile guests for instance and the Fairport Sections both go back to 2004 when the board started.

Look for the child boards, or if you are looking for something in particular use the search facility.

In the Corparation Arms, which is the opt in bit, the threads do get pruned occasionally if they get too unwieldy..
Are you looking for anything in particular?
 Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: