TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:49:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 732551 times)
Greg E

« Reply #640 on: November 23, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »

A week or two late.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
Greg, near Bath & Bristol

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Browsed for a while keeping up to date, mainly Steeleye. Set up a user a year or ago but lost the login details, and changed email account but only posted a couple of times. And not using my real name, which is not allowed now!

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Always been a follower of 'Folk'. Love early FC and Sandy. Not a big festival goer.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
A good melody is key. Love Trad folk, Old folk rock (All Steeleye, old FC, Spriguns, Little Johnny England, the Men they COuldn't Hang, etc) Folk blues (John Martyn, Bert etc), Some 'normal' Rock (Santana, Late 60's British Rock - cream etc), Heavy metal - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (!), A fair bit of Electronic (New Order, OMD etc), Some Dance music and Dancehall reggae. Snoop Dog.  I think that about covers it.  

Don't Like:  Pompous msierable long music, Pink Floyd, Anything remotoely Prog. (apart from Folk Rock - its a fine line!), Radiohead, Coldplay, A lot of modern FolkRock (gets very boring and very insipid very quickly) but I do try, I really do try to want to like new stuff. Run of the mill female singersongwriters who will be forgotton in 5 years but are the 'next big thing' for a while.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Steeleye Span 6 months ago. I don't get out enough!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Trees - Jane xxxxx Garden (something like that). Anyway, bloody brilliant. Long overdue purchase.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

oh, impossible to choose!

8. In conclusion:

Quite miserable about modern music but really really trying.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #641 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »

Welcome Greg, The Garden of Jane Delawney was probably what you were trying to remember..

Wonderful band, I was very delighted to have Celia sing on my last album  Grin

Cup of tea?

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #642 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »

Welcome aboard, plenty to explore

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Greg E

« Reply #643 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »

Welcome Greg, The Garden of Jane Delawney was probably what you were trying to remember..

Cup of tea?

Wow, I'm glad to hear she is still singing, a wonderfully evocative voice. Dare I ask if she still has that amazing range? And where can I check out your album to hear her (and your good self of course Smiley ) ?! Ah, scrap that, just seen your links...

I had the Trees 'On the shore' cd since it was re-released a few years ago and instantly loved her voice. The whole ambience of Trees I find wonderful. I have never really explored that area of Pysch folk but if there are more bands like Trees then I may have to!

Milk no sugar.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #644 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »

Cup of tea?

Wow, I'm glad to hear she is still singing, a wonderfully evocative voice. Dare I ask if she still has that amazing range? And where can I check out your album to hear her (and your good self of course Smiley ) ?!
I had the 'on the shore' cd since it was re-released a few years ago and instantly loved her voice. The whole ambience of Trees I find wonderful. I have never really explored that area of Pysch folk but if there are more bands like Trees then I may have to!

Milk no sugar.

Apologies for the self-promo here, you can hear bits on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Talking-With-Strangers/dp/B002FMH8TC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1322075769&sr=1-1

'C'est La Vie' has Celia singing beautifully on that, her range is still extraordinary Grin

She also contributes to Harpsong along with Julianne Regan, Jacqui McShee and many other notable bods from my past... but you will have to buy the CD to hear that track as it's 19 minutes long (proper prog)Cheesy

Greg E

« Reply #645 on: November 23, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »

Cup of tea?

Wow, I'm glad to hear she is still singing, a wonderfully evocative voice. Dare I ask if she still has that amazing range? And where can I check out your album to hear her (and your good self of course Smiley ) ?!
I had the 'on the shore' cd since it was re-released a few years ago and instantly loved her voice. The whole ambience of Trees I find wonderful. I have never really explored that area of Pysch folk but if there are more bands like Trees then I may have to!

Milk no sugar.

Apologies for the self-promo here, you can hear bits on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Talking-With-Strangers/dp/B002FMH8TC/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1322075769&sr=1-1

'C'est La Vie' has Celia singing beautifully on that, her range is still extraordinary Grin

She also contributes to Harpsong along with Julianne Regan, Jacqui McShee and many other notable bods from my past... but you will have to buy the CD to hear that track as it's 19 minutes long (proper prog)Cheesy

Excellent, thanks for the link and no apologies needed! I have downloaded the C'est La Vie' track, sounds good!
Very intruiging CD. Its now on my 'to get' list!
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #646 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »

welcome to our soiree Greg

Jude does serve exquisite blends of tea in the best China tea set Cheesy

If you can get through the initiation ( don't spill it or dunk bikkies until the hostess has dunked hers) Shocked

Then you can get yourself into the bar, join the beer club and happily sample and learn the secrets of fine beers and ciders. We do enjoy the odd pint or two, especially when its your round Grin

You will I am sure find yourself gravitating toward the lure of good music .. We are pleased to welcome virgins to the many chances to take part that are offered ( More virgins frequently needed)
i assure you that you will be encouraged to join us in a field in Oxfordshire on the second weekend in August Fez Tiara

Good to see you

Dave P
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #647 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »

Cup of tea?

Ditto re Trees:GOJD. That and On the Shore are in my top 100. Are Trees ever going to do anything else?(it's been rumoured).
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #648 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »

Trees rock!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Greg E

« Reply #649 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »

welcome to our soiree Greg

Jude does serve exquisite blends of tea in the best China tea set Cheesy

If you can get through the initiation ( don't spill it or dunk bikkies until the hostess has dunked hers) Shocked

Then you can get yourself into the bar, join the beer club and happily sample and learn the secrets of fine beers and ciders. We do enjoy the odd pint or two, especially when its your round Grin

You will I am sure find yourself gravitating toward the lure of good music .. We are pleased to welcome virgins to the many chances to take part that are offered ( More virgins frequently needed)
i assure you that you will be encouraged to join us in a field in Oxfordshire on the second weekend in August Fez Tiara

Good to see you

Dave P

Thanks for the welcome! I am indeed easily lured to good music!
nick wright
n3wb

« Reply #650 on: November 25, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »

I used to visit a folk club in Macclesfield, where one of the regulars sang an unusual song about two miners.
By day they worked together at the mine.  By night they lived together as "man and wife".
Does anyone know the name of this song?Huh  
Thanks
(I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place!)
bigredsteve55 (Steve Bennett)
n3wb

Loc: Nr Portsmouth

« Reply #651 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »

Hello all yet another newbie,

the answer to the question of 'the two miners who went home as man and wife' could well be a reference to one of the many versions of 'Drag Queen Blues' as originally written and performed by none other than Richard Digance.

Steve Bennett
bigredsteve55 (Steve Bennett)
n3wb

Loc: Nr Portsmouth

« Reply #652 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:44 AM »

Hello all

I'm Steve Bennett from Horndean Village (Late home of Gales Ales)

I was a Lurkawhile before deciding to join

Cropredy is the centre of the civilised universe and fairport started the big bang!!!

An ecelctic mix of folk, rock, blues,, progressive, Early metal, Classic.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Last CD was Pete Artkin the lakeside sessions its wonderful

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer..Leonard Cohen and I will sing:  ' Sisters of Mercy'

Steve Bennett
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #653 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »

Hi Steve, from another Pete Atkin fan.Love Lakeside Sessions, esp. the History and Geography disc.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #654 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:28 AM »

welcome Steve good to have you here

Dave P
sheri
n3wb

Loc: LAMBOURN

« Reply #655 on: January 16, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »

HELLO THERE!!

OK FORGIVE M IF IV TYPED THIS IN WRONG BIT LOL
HI MY NAME IS SHRI ,AN IAM IN A EAST GARSTON MORRIS GROUP CALLED THE GARSTON GALLOPERS,IV BEEN IN THE GROUP JUST OVER A YEAR NOW ,AND THEY HAVE BEEN RUNNING ABOUT 2 OR 3 YARS,THEY ARE A LOVELY TEAM,AN JOINING THEM CHANGED MY LIFE,GAVE ME A REASON TO LAUGH Grin

SHRI
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #656 on: January 17, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »

hiya Shri

Nice to have you here have you met the barlady yet?? She knows what drink
I like at the appropriate time of day (wink wink Wink)

Morris men ( and women) get a special deal in the Arms

You are welcome anytime

DaveP Afro

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #657 on: January 17, 2012, 05:52:54 AM »

Hello and welcome!
Hang yer bells up on the way in, don't hit anyone with yer stick, but keep the hankies handy cos Pb's jokes might make you cry.
You posted in the right place but maybe take your capslock off and STOP SHOUTING!
Our hearing trumpets make it terribly loud Wink

Enjoy your time here!

it'll be fine.......
Phil 1982

« Reply #658 on: January 21, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

Hello Folks - pleased to be here on this fine forum and meet your aquaintances.

Please see my answers to the questions below.

My Name is Phil Daniels, originally from Cambridge, however for the last 20+ years have been living in Bracknell, Berkshire.

I'm both a musician, and a promoter of folk/roots and acoustic music in the Bracknell area. Our main show is a showcase event called Folking Live at South Hill Park Arts Centre in Bracknell, with a second event at Jagz in Ascot where we host national touring acts. I will be using Talkawhile to promote events, however in my short time here I have already noticed what an excellent community it is for all things folk and will no doubt contribute to discussions etc. I have no idea why it's taken me so long to get here!

I first heard Fairport listening to my Dad's cassettes (yes - I'm a folky under 30.....just!), and over time have enjoyed many of their records. Through writing for www.folking.com I have been lucky enough to both review the band and also see them live a couple of times - including a very intimate show at The Half Moon in Putney. Tragically, I'm yet to experience a Cropredy Festival - but this will be rectified at some point I'm sure.

I've been involved with music from the age of 5 and have over that time built up rather a large music collection spanning more genres than I have time to list here! I go through phases of liking different genres, however the one constant in the 25 years of listening to music has been folk and acoustic - and that is the reason I both perform and promote in that genre. My top 5 favourite acts (to give you an idea) are Runrig (my all time favourite), Tori Amos, Great Big Sea, Show of Hands and The Levellers.

I obviously promote and perform at live shows every month, however the last event I paid to see was Bellowhead at Shepherds Bush Empire. Suffice to say it was worth the money.

I'm lucky enough to be given quite a number of CD's - however the last one I purchased was the most recent Natalie Merchant album. I love her voice, all the way back to 10,000 Maniacs but especially her solo stuff. Yes - I would recommend it - as good as anything she has ever done.  

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to have a sex change and be my all time favourite singer Tori Amos and I will
            sing: 'Winter'

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #659 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »

Welcome Phil, I'm sure you'll find a lot to natter about here.. Grin

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56   Go Up
  Print