TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726310 times)
col foster

« Reply #600 on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »

Hi, i'll do my very best to answer these questions but some answers may sound a bit ambigious but here goes
1.   Who are you and where are you from?
My name is Colin and I live in Swanley, Kent

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Looking for more info on Cropredy and some others feedback on the festival

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
I've been a fan for many years and have been to many FC concerts but Cropredy was my first ever festival

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Anything with a tune and even better if I can play along. I've a very eclectic taste in music, anything from Thomas Tallis to Pagan metal with Folk somewhere in the middle

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
FC acoustic set at Dartford a few months ago, it was excellent except I felt a bit faint halfway through had to get some air and missed the festival bell section

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
I honestly cannot remember but I got a record deck transfer system for my birthday and am now revisiting all my old records but i keep playing Broadsword and the beast by Jethro Tull

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

This is one I truly cannot answer
vanessa

« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »

Here goes with my answers......

1.  My name is Vanessa and I come from Rochester in kent.

2.  Joined Talkawhile several years ago to keep in touch with what Fairport were up to and also get the heads up on any local gigs by anyone who might interest me.

3. Taken by a long-time fan to a wintour in Canterbury 1998ish and became hooked! Have managed to catch one or two of the wintour dates since then and also acoustic if possible. Attended Cropredy 8 times in the last 13 years.

4. Tull, Dylan, Floyd, Dead, Stones, Zappa, Steve Harley, Joan Armatrading, Oysterband, Nick Harper, Warren Zevon, Jackson browne, Fleetwood mac. etc etc etc ....

5.Joan Armatrading. Other Half is a big fan so finally got to see her and she was amazing. Totally exceeded all expectations. Superb musician and performer will not miss her again!

6. This Charming life (see above) and yes!

7. Tonight , Sir Robert I am going to be The Band and I will sing The Weight ( the Robbie Robertson bits!).

7a. Re 7. This does change frequently and I may be Bob Dylan or Frank Zappa by the end of the week!
pete bennett

« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »

Pete from London, urban folk!

Wanted to find out whats going on in the folk world. Have just released an album called "just urban folk!"didn`t think of the songs as folk songs when i was writing them, but a few friends have pointed out that they may be well, folky!

heard a few fairport tracks in my time, know nothing of the cropredy till now, catching on fast.

just love all sorts of music;punk,rock n roll,rock,grunge,dance,pop...good songs come in all shapes and sizes.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
saw billy bragg and crowded house last year,loved them both

Adele 21, great songs

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (Johnny Cash) and I will
            sing:  ' ..Folson prison blues..............................'  
Rootytoot {Ruth}
n3wb

Loc: Walton-on-Thames, Surrey.

« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »

Thank you for the lovely welcome... and yes, I am now extremely relaxed and comfortable in my considerately provided clothing !
As far as the questions go, I'll do my best...

I AM RUTH (aka) ROOTYTOOT -  A "NORTHERN LASS" AT HEART HAVING COME FROM YORKSHIRE ORIGINALLY, CURRENTLY RESIDING IN SURREY VIA SPAIN, GERMANY AND THE USA (BUT THAT'S A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC !)

I DISCOVERED YOUR EXISTENCE THROUGH MY HUBBY, WHO ENCOURAGED ME TO "PUT MY TWO PENNETH IN" SO I FINALLY GOT ORGANISED AND HERE I AM !

WE MOVED BACK TO THE UK IN 2004, WHEN I WAS DRAGGED ALONG TO CROPREDY KICKING AND SCREAMING (ONLY KIDDING, ALTHOUGH I HADN'T A CLUE WHAT TO EXPECT), AND I HAVE BEEN GOING EVER SINCE, SO NOW CONSIDER MYSELF A DEFINITE FAN OF THAT SACRED EVENT  Grin

MY MUSICAL TASTES ARE VERY VARIED, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE NOW DEFINITELY SKEWED TOWARDS FOLK.  I ESPECIALLY LOVE KATE RUSBY AND FAIRPORT (OF COURSE), AND HAVE BEEN QUITE IMPRESSED WITH AHAB AND BLAIR DUNLOP OF LATE.  HOWEVER, I ALSO ENJOY ARTISTS LIKE CROWDED HOUSE, SUPERTRAMP, BILLY JOEL, BRYAN ADAMS, THE BEATLES, THE CORRS, DEL AMITRI, E.L.O, 10CC, GENESIS, AS WELL AS MANY MORE VARIED AND UNUSUAL GROUPS (NOT TO EVERYONE'S TASTE, I'M SURE)  Wink

THE LAST FESTIVAL I ATTENDED WAS OF COURSE CROPREDY, I ENJOYED MYSELF, AS ALWAYS, AND FOUND THE RANGE OF MUSIC QUITE VARIED THIS YEAR.  NOT ALL TO MY TASTE, BUT IT WAS GOOD TO EXPERIENCE SUCH A WIDE RANGE OF MUSICAL STYLES AND TALENTS, OLD AND NEW.

I HAVE TO CONFESS THAT I DON'T REALLY BUY CD'S - THAT'S USUALLY MY HUBBY'S JOB, ALTHOUGH WE DID GET AN EP OR TWO AT CROPREDY THIS YEAR - BLAIR DUNLOP'S AND AHAB'S.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer KATE RUSBY and I will
            sing:  ' AWKWARD ANNIE' OR 'LITTLE JACK FROST' OR 'CRUEL'.  - SORRY, BUT COULDN'T DECIDE AS I REALLY LOVE THEM ALL ! Wink

WELL, NOW THAT YOU KNOW ME A BIT BETTER, I JUST HAVE TO LEARN A BIT ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE.... (EASY  Wink

Enjoy life on the open road, but take care of what's around the corners !
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #604 on: August 28, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »

STOP SHOUTING RUTH!!!   Wink  Welcome to you.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #605 on: August 28, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »

STOP SHOUTING RUTH!!!.

Indeed Kiss  Welcome to the asylum.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Musicport
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #606 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »

My name is Jim English, I grew up in the North West (Wigan) but now live in North London
I studied in Leeds and have put on and promoted concerts for years.

I joined Talkawhile because I have been a lifelong folk and accoustic fan and I find it difficult to find the time and people to discuss music with. Also, I thought it would be the perfect platform for me to spread the word about some of the amazing concerts and festivals I am lucky enough to be involved with. (Hence the 'Musicport' Username.)

Not a huge amount, however, I do know that the amazing Iain Matthews will be playing at Musicport festival this year!

I love a whole bunch of different types of music. from Rock and Indie to folk, acoustic and more recently, a whole range of World music. I am currently listening to Mercedes Peon, Mari Boine, Blair Dunlop and High Masekela.

The Last gig I attended was Wooden Shjips and Wolf People at the Scala in Kings Cross. Wolf people were particularly great.

'Matthews' Southern Comfort' - Yes, I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Although, rather than make that recommendation, i'd make the suggestion that you go to see him live! Haha.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Nick Drake and I will
            sing:  'Which will'  (name of song)

I hope the Talkawhile community will take me under their wing. I would really love to to get the word out about Musicport festival, build the excitement and the anticipation, and ultimately, hopefully meet some of you lovely people at the festival!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #607 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »

There is a problem accessing your website from your profile page. The screen reads 'about:blank'.

Beyond me to know why, but plenty of IT folk on here. Welcome, by the way.
Musicport
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #608 on: September 08, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »

Hi Malcolm, thanks for the heads up!

Hmm, not sure why it doesn't seem to be working  Huh I'll have a look and see if I inputted it incorrectly.

In the meantime, here is the site URL, hope it works!

http://www.musicportfestival.com/

Thanks again,

Jim English (Musicport)
Zebbie
n3wb

« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.  I've been a Fairport fan for years, ever since I picked up their debut album at Camden Market somewhere back in the mists of time (the first two albums are still my favourites).  I've been to Cropredy most years since the early '90s.  Not this year though, sadly (campervan fire).

Most recent gig: Diesel Park West.  I saw them at Butlins last year, when they turned up as a last-minute (and rather welcome) replacement for the Unthanks.  They mainly performed CSN/Byrds covers that evening, so I thought I'd like to hear them performing their own material.  Very enjoyable.

Last cds: Alison Krauss - Paper Airplane and C.W. Stoneking - Jungle Blues.  Both wonderful in their very different ways.

Anyway, hope to dust off my fez and maybe meet up with some of you at a future fest.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #610 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »

Hi Zebbie, yes this is the perfect place to say hello and welcome Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #611 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »

Most recent gig: Diesel Park West.  

Welcome Zebbie.

I keep forgetting that the Diesels are still going. If you don't have it and can get hold of a copy I urge you to get their debut album, "Shakespeare Alabama", an underated and overlooked classic.
Zebbie
n3wb

« Reply #612 on: September 14, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »

Thanks, Al.  I got it a few years ago, when the remastered version came out.  Marvellous album.  They do seem like a forgotten band.  They were certainly disappointed at finding themselves in a half-empty pub in the suburbs of London, after travelling down from Leicester.  Still, they put in a very professional performance.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #613 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

Welcome Zebbie, good to see another CW Stoneking fan around. Also saw DPW at Butlins and enjoyed them.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Adrian B
n3wb

Loc: Cork, Ireland

« Reply #614 on: September 15, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

Hi everyone, I am Adrian (aka Spacepig). I come from the far north of Scotland, but have lived in Cork, Ireland for the last 4 years.

Nothing made me join, but, I have some Fairport clips up on youtube and I noticed that some of the hits were coming from here. I got interested and after a few false starts finally got registered. I had never heard of this site before then.

I have been to Croredy about 6 times, first time in 1987, last time in 1994 (shame on me I know). First stumbled across Fairport (in 1987) when a friend asked me if I wanted to come to Cropredy with him. As I had nothing else to do that weekend I went along for the heck of it. That weekend changed my life and I have followed them ever since.

The million dollar question! Apart from the obvious, some psychedlia, blues, a bit of jazz, lots of folk, really anything out of the ordinary

Space Ritual (ex Hawkwind) in Cork a few weeks ago. What was it like? have a look at my youtube clips and you will see. We had a grteat time, Nik Turner is a real gent. Going to see Seasick Steve next week.

Comus - East of Sweden, most definitely, yes

Alex Harvey, Next
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #615 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »

Welcome Adrian  do sit down... Cup of tea? Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Adrian B
n3wb

Loc: Cork, Ireland

« Reply #616 on: September 15, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

Hi Jude, tea would be lovely (beer would be better). Sorry I can't stay for long just now, I am working right now (or supposed to be).
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #617 on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

First stumbled across Fairport (in 1987) when a friend asked me if I wanted to come to Cropredy with him. As I had nothing else to do that weekend I went along for the heck of it. That weekend changed my life and I have followed them ever since.

Me too! WOW Grin

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #618 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:47 PM »

A neat and brave choice of song mon ami... Hi from me too.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Bill Forwell
n3wb

Loc: London

Bass player for Flutatious

« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »

Hi,

I am new to this forum and would just like to say hi and intoduce myself. I am the bass player for Flutatious, a 6 piece folk, rock, dance band from NW London. You can check out what we do at www.flutatious.co.uk

Hope you like what you see and hear.

Respect....Bill

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: