TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726403 times)
Yvie
n3wb

Loc: Kent

« Reply #580 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »

Hi all, thank you for the welcome! Im really nervous but so excited about our first Cropredy. Im making a list and checking it twice.....oh..no...thats the Christmas one, oppps! : )) Hope to meet you all next week : )

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Without Chocolate
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #581 on: August 05, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »

Don't be nervous Yvie.. be very very excited...  if you are like most of us here your first Cropredy will lead to an obsession...  you will be drawn to that field as if by magnetism year after year, decade after decade...  Grin Tiara Smiley

See you there!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #582 on: August 05, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »

Don't be nervous Yvie.. be very very excited...  if you are like most of us here your first Cropredy will lead to an obsession...  you will be drawn to that field as if by magnetism year after year, decade after decade...  Grin

See you there!!

Its magnetism is it?  Cheesy

not addiction  Roll Eyes

I'll tell my shrink Wink

Dave P Fez
AndrewPothecary

Loc: Lincoln

« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »

1.   I am Andrew, living at present in Lincoln.
2.   Initially it was to get advice on selling the Cropredy tickets that I am now unable to use, but it seems a friendly sort of place to hang around online.
3.   Only been to Cropredy a couple of times, but I’ve seen Fairport quite a few times over the years, since 1987.
4.   All sorts of things. Folk (obviously), progressive rock, jazz, blues, &c. &c.
5.   Actually I think the last live music I attended was Cropredy two years ago.
6.   I’ve never bought a CD. The last record I bought was Hugh Laurie’s “Let Them Talk”. Yes, I would recommend it.
7.   “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Roy Harper and I will sing:  'When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease’... but tomorrow it might be Peter Hammill and “Black Room”, or Jello Biafra and “Holiday In Cambodia”, or...
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »

1.   I am Andrew, living at present in Lincoln.
2.   Initially it was to get advice on selling the Cropredy tickets that I am now unable to use, but it seems a friendly sort of place to hang around online.
3.   Only been to Cropredy a couple of times, but I’ve seen Fairport quite a few times over the years, since 1987.
4.   All sorts of things. Folk (obviously), progressive rock, jazz, blues, &c. &c.
5.   Actually I think the last live music I attended was Cropredy two years ago.
6.   I’ve never bought a CD. The last record I bought was Hugh Laurie’s “Let Them Talk”. Yes, I would recommend it.
7.   “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Roy Harper and I will sing:  'When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease’... but tomorrow it might be Peter Hammill and “Black Room”, or Jello Biafra and “Holiday In Cambodia”, or...

That's interesting. I wonder how many others there are on here who haven't ever bought one? So do you just buy vinyl then? Downloads? Eight track?  Smiley

Anyhow, welcome. I think I might go to youtube and find some Dead Kennedys as a result of your reminder.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #585 on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »

I don't think Andy Tuck has brought a CD...............................

in the last 30 minutes  Grin

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
AndrewPothecary

Loc: Lincoln

« Reply #586 on: August 08, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »

That's interesting. I wonder how many others there are on here who haven't ever bought one? So do you just buy vinyl then? Downloads? Eight track?  Smiley

Anyhow, welcome. I think I might go to youtube and find some Dead Kennedys as a result of your reminder.
[/quote

Yes, if I buy music it's still on vinyl. I've never downloaded aything either, but I did once briefly own an eight track. The only cartridge I had was by the Doobie Brothers though, and never seemed to sound right.
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #587 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »

(edited...)

I think that's a really interesting question, Albie (maybe worth a new thread?). For myself, I still buy CDs but I tend to rip 'em and get rid of them (sell, swap or give them away). I digitised all my old vinyl, cassettes etc a long time ago. I still have a turntable and cassette player, but I mostly use them as recording sources for the PC.

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #588 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »

You jest but there was a time not that long ago when he didn't have a CD player, let alone any CDs!  Now he appears to be attempting to use them to make wallpaper redundant Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #589 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »

You jest but there was a time not that long ago when he didn't have a CD player, let alone any CDs!  Now he appears to be attempting to use them to make wallpaper redundant Grin

Man spends more on CDs than I do on comics, and that takes some doing!

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
John The Hat
n3wb

Loc: Havant

« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »

Greetings from the sunny south coast (well it is at the moment.)
As to the dressing gown and slippers, I think a drovers coat and wellies may be more appropriate  Wink

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm known as John the Hat and most just call me JTH. Originally from the north east (Jarrow), but forced to emigrate aged 3 (parents moved south)

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I've been meaning to join for a few years, but never got around to it until now.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

I can't remember how old I was when I first heard Fairport, but it was probably Liege and Leaf.
Always wanted to go to Cropredy but didn't make it until 1994, and then a break until 1999

4.   What kind of music do you like?

If it can be played live then that's what I call music, but anything just about except 70's disco or 80's cheese.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Bemis, it was a wedding and I was doing the sound for the band, but it was great  Grin

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Wishbone Ash - Illuminations, heartily recommended for anyone who has lost their 'Ash

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Robert Plant and I will
            sing:  'Dazed and Confused'   (if only I could sing)

See you all on the field of joy, I closely resemble my avatar but may be wearing my summer hat.
Remember now Richard Thompson is NOT the rain god, John Lydon is (if we can convince enough people this may become true Cheesy)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #591 on: August 10, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »

Welcome John (with or without Hat)

See you at Cropredy I expect  Grin

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #592 on: August 10, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »

Hi John

I think we may have met you at Southwell FF. See you in the field.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
northseajoe

« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »

I'm known as John the Hat and most just call me JTH. Originally from the north east (Jarrow), but forced to emigrate aged 3 (parents moved south)

Welcome, John. Nice to have another Jarra Lad around. Hope you're not a mackem...
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #594 on: August 10, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »

Marvellous to finally see you on here, John !  Smiley
John The Hat
n3wb

« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »

I'm no makem, I'm a Sand dancer (born in South Shields)
Unfortunately the accent didn't have time to develop, so I sound like a shandy drinking southern softie  Wink
John The Hat
n3wb

« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »

Hi Dan O, yes I finally make it!
northseajoe

« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

Unfortunately the accent didn't have time to develop, so I sound like a shandy drinking southern softie  Wink

Never mind, John. I've been away from Jarrow a long time and learnt to understand my cockney daughter...
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »

You need to practice :-)

Welcome, John.
Chris Line

Loc: Essex

Smile! - They're free!

« Reply #599 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »

Hi John glad you could make it!

I agree with making John Lydon the cropredy rain god.

Does anybody read these bits?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: