TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726562 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #500 on: February 26, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

Welcome, PeteN.  Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Mr. Clive

Loc: W. Yorkshire

« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »

Hello, I'm Clive and I live in W. Yorkshire. But grew up in Shropshire.

Sometimes I like to have my say.

Been to Cropredy 4 years on the trot now. Very chilled and quite addictive. I've seen FC a couple of times at festivals other than Cropredy. But I have to say that I'm not a big fan.

I like most music. I do have issues with jazz (you know the type where 4 guys on stage all playing different tunes?) and cheesy C&W. I am getting more into folk though. Whatever that is?

I went to see Horslips in Glasgow in Jan. Top, top show. Don't know why they aren't higher up the billing at Cropredy though. Then saw Imelda May in Leeds a couple of weeks ago. Great energy and great tunes from lass well worth seeing .

Imelda Mays new album Mayhem, very good indeed
Band of joy, it's getting better the more I listen to it.

For one night only, I shall be Paul Heaton singing Blackbird on a wire.

Sorry if it's a bit to the point, but I can't type for toffee.

Music and ale are what I live for  Cool
Richard Singleton
n3wb

« Reply #502 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »

Hi all!
     My name is Richard Singleton, and I am from and reside in the mid Hudson Valley region of New York State in the U.S.

I joined Talkawhile because it seems like a group of kindred spirits who may share some of my musical tastes.

I have been a fan of Fairport Convention since the early 70's and have seen them live many times over the years with varying lineups. I attended Fairport's Cropredy Festival  in 1986 with my wife Shellie, we were the honeymooners that year with Nancy Covey's Festival Tours group. (Though Shellie and I were actually married the year before)  It was the trip of a lifetime for us, we thought back then we might get to go to Cropredy many more times, but alas so far no. We have a 16 year old daughter who I would love to be able to bring there in 2012 on Nancy Covey's next scheduled Cropredy tour, should health and finances allow. I have some English cousins and like to do  genealogy and old cemetery restoration in addition to playing and listening to music. My father's dad was born in Dowlish Wake in Somerset.

I love British folk rock (Fairport, Steeleye Span and others), American and British folk and traditional music, also Irish and Scottish traditional music and bluegrass as well as classical music.

I participate in an Irish trad session locally every couple months, play a little mandolin. Play tenor banjo, octave mando/zouk a bit, too, though at home. Am fairly active on Mandolin Cafe website, the past few years. I am also very interested in folklore and folk traditions and mythology and religion. Last concert I went to was by the Gibson Brothers, sponsored by the Hudson Valley Bluegrass Association, of which I am a member. They play wonderful bluegrass and bluegrass gospel songs with those "brother type" harmonies that recall the Louvin Brothers.

The last CD I bought was Farport Convention's "Festival Bell', and I do recommend it! Also bought just a couple days before it Bert Jansch's "Edge of a Dream"; Ashley Hutchings "Five", and Paul Brady's "The missing Liberty Tapes". I have a large collection of old vinyl and am starting to catch up on my CD's.

"Tonight Sir Robert, (and Talkawhile folk) I am going to do my best Richard Thompson impression and try to play/sing "Sloth". I just received in the mail today a black finish Epiphone MandoBird electric mandolin, that I had purchased on eBay. My first non acoustic instrument after all these years! I would likely turn it up to "11", but I can't buy an amp for it til later in the week, so I shall make my folk rock debut rather quietly."
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #503 on: March 30, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »

Welcome Richard and Mr Clive Smiley

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #504 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
Ian Collis, 50 years old, from Stoke-on-Trent

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
I'm hoping to drag my reluctant wife to Cropredy for our first ever festival and first ever camping trip (unless we do one before Cropredy). We're both fairly new to folk music and are looking for guidance.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
I'm a long standing Jethro Tull fan, so I know a bit about Dave Pegg. I know Cropredy is Fairports folk festival. We've both read the Virgins guide to Cropredy and are hoping to become part of it.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Started off liking Prog rock - Gabriel era Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes etc, went through heavy rock, got into Jethro Tull big time, then classical. I still like ALL of that stuff, now i'm hoping to add folk to my likes.
A few years ago, I used to listen to a Thursday night folk music programme on BBC local radio. I liked lots of what I heard, but there was also quite a bit I didn't like. Then I think they changed the schedule and I haven't really listened to folk since.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Peter Gabriel with the New Blood orchestra at the Hammersmith Apollo. It was fantastic !!!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
With the growing availability of music on the net, I haven't brought a cd for ages.
Thats actually made me feel quite sad - and guilty. It's going to have to change

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Peter Gabriel and I will
            sing Signal to Noise. (That track played with an orchestra is stunning !)
I know It's not folk, but as I like lots of music, it's very hard to pick one.
If it had to be folk, it would probably have been something like Stars by Janis Ian.
But as I can't sing, I could have put anything  Huh

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #505 on: April 04, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

If it had to be folk, it would probably have been something like Stars by Janis Ian.

It most definitely doesn't have to be folk. It is a pretty broad church around here.

Welcome. You will certainly get plenty of...er...guidance!  Smiley
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #506 on: April 04, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »

Good taste in music Ian. You'll find plenty of kindred spirits on here who also like Prog and Heavy Rock/Metal. In fact you should check out some of the folk metal bands, such as Eluvitie, you then get the best of both worlds.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »

I love British folk rock (Fairport, Steeleye Span and others), American and British folk and traditional music, also Irish and Scottish traditional music and bluegrass as well as classical music.

I'm fond of a bit of bluegrass too. Have you heard Jonathan Byrd's album Cackalack? He's from North Carolina but the album was recorded in Canada with some Canadian musicians he'd been touring with.

For Scottish folk music, check out Greentrax Recordings http://www.greentrax.com/. Recent releases by Rua MacMillan, Stevie Palmer and Ewan Robertson are worth a listen.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Richard Singleton
n3wb

« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2011, 03:44:06 AM »

ColinB, I have one Greentrax CD "Gentle Giants -A Celebration of the Clydesdale Horse in Song" which is terrific, an anthology celebrating the breed, which has the great Davy Steele song The Last Trip Home. I haven't heard the Jonathan Byrd album you mention but will look for it. Am looking forward to attending a concert by Tony Rice in May sponsored by our local bluegrass association.

Collstoke/Ian, Janis Ian's "Stars" album is a favorite of mine as well.
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #509 on: April 30, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »

Um... dunno if I'm doing this right, but I answer ye thus...

1.   Who are you and where are you from?  

Joe, living in Hertfordshire but originally from the North East.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Idle curiosity

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Been to Cropredy a few times. I bought 'What We Did On Our Holidays' in 1969 and Fairport were one of my teenage favourites. However, back then I was more in love with hippie rock and US blues than with traditional folk and my interest waned as Fairport returned to their roots and got inspired by punk.  RT though is still a particular favourite of mine, and my family have been going to Cropredy forever.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Oh my fur and whiskers, what a question. I have always loved Blues, but have lent an ear to folk in many forms, punk, reggae, world, techno, jazz, indie, dubstep. I know it's a poncey answer, but I like anything that is interesting and good. I still listen to old John Peel tapes for sheer variety.  

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

How embarassing, I don't think I've been to a gig since Cropredy last year.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

CD? CD? Do people still buy CDs? Last album I downloaded was Stephanie Dosen's Lily for the Spectre, though since then someone lent me some Unthanks albums they'd bought, which were terrific.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am definitely NOT going to be my all time favourite singer who is Aretha Franklin and I will
            sing nothing, for which you should be grateful"
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »

Oh my fur and whiskers, what a question. I have always loved Blues, but have lent an ear to folk in many forms, punk, reggae, world, techno, jazz, indie, dubstep. I know it's a poncey answer, but I like anything that is interesting and good. I still listen to old John Peel tapes for sheer variety.  

I had some from back in the 70s with all sorts of good stuff on there, threw 'em away a few years ago, wish I hadn't.

Anyway, hello.
northseajoe

« Reply #511 on: May 02, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

I had some from back in the 70s with all sorts of good stuff on there, threw 'em away a few years ago, wish I hadn't.

Anyway, hello.

What a shame, Albie - a lot of my best musical memories date back to the early 70s and there are too few radio recordings from that period around. I guess you know that there are a few good websites which you can  monitor for John Peel rareties?

Edit: Link to bootleg site removed. Sorry - not allowed on this board

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:14:49 PM by Barry » Logged
northseajoe

« Reply #512 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »

Anyway, hello.

What a shame, Albie - a lot of my best musical memories date back to the early 70s and there are too few radio recordings from that period around. I guess you know that there are a few good websites which you can  monitor for John Peel rareties?

Edit: Link to bootleg site removed. Sorry - not allowed on this board

Oops, sorry, won't do it again - in my defence, I think the web-page in question has only publicly broadcast material, mostly over 40 years old.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »

Hi Robert,

I've been directed here by Jules and hope I'm doing right re your questions - this is from memory.

-I live in the North East, and don't support football, I'm afraid. This is to forestall inquiries as to how the Mags are doing - I've no idea.

-Never been to Cropredy - not a festival person, but i do think it's a fine thing, and have some Cropredy stuff on CD and home tape.

-Liked Fairport for a long time, but really only listen to classic - i.e. up to around '75. Thereafter it gets a bit bland for my taste, and  new Fp album raises only the very slightest interest in my old ears.

-Lots and lots and lots of other music - good proportion of it is acoustic, but plenty of '60s and '70s rock and prog in there too. Even some jazz and other. I also frequent Progressive Ears, which in spite of its name is a very diverse forum, and very popular with Americans.

My last gig was Robin Williamson and John Renbourne. I like the ISB probably even more than Fp-  they're another of the 'big 3' for me-  the other being Pentangle.

Last album bought: Home: Home. '70s country/soft rock group who made 3 albums.  Recommended if you like such things, and a very good CD transfer. (Esoteric). They were about the first band i ever saw live, I think.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »

I've been directed here by Jules  

Which Jules?  Me?  If so, which Alan are you?   Huh

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »

My last gig was Robin Williamson and John Renbourne. I like the ISB probably even more than Fp-  they're another of the 'big 3' for me-  the other being Pentangle.

We have a three strikes and you're out ruling on getting the names of folk-rock superstars wrong (Nichol is an instant dismissal btw)... Cheesy

Welcome aboard Alan..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »

I've been directed here by Jules  

Which Jules?  Me?  If so, which Alan are you?   Huh

Jules

Sorry - meant Jude.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »

We have a three strikes and you're out ruling on getting the names of folk-rock superstars wrong (Nichol is an instant dismissal btw)... Cheesy

Welcome aboard Alan..

You know, that's one i still get wrong from time to time - in spite of having numerous records and CDs with his name on them.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »

Welcome aboard Alan..

You know, that's one i still get wrong from time to time - in spite of having numerous records and CDs with his name on them.

I went to school with Joel, his son, and I still get it wrong from time to time too (it feels like it should have an 'e' on the end, doesn't it?!)...and don't let's get started on the pronunciation of Bert's surname...they can't even agree upon it within his own family  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »

You have some great taste there Alan! Welcome to you  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: