TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:40:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726482 times)
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #380 on: February 22, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »

Hey Dave! Nice to see you venturing into the strange world of TAW!

Whose turn is it to bring the whisky this year?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:31 PM »

Whose turn is it to bring the whisky this year?

That'd be everyone, Mike. Grin

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Rob Anthony

Loc: Plymouth, UK

Closet Vocalist

« Reply #382 on: March 15, 2010, 02:26:25 AM »

Hi,

I'm that wierd guy that stands to one side, singing along so loud I get strange looks from the band!  Everyone else ignores me, though!

Well, I used to stand - I have to sit down, these days.

RobAnt
Matt_Bentley

Loc: Leeds

Hello there :-)

« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »

Hmmmm... I just spent an hour thoroughly answering all the questions from the first post, and it lost them all when I tried to place my post.

Bum rats.

Matt_Bentley

« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »

I shall try again...

Matt_Bentley

« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I’m Matt Bentley. I’m originally from Burnley, but now I live in sunny Leeds.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I was looking for a general national folk forum to try to arrange gigs, meet folky people and have a lovely time. I know from looking about that this forum started with some specifics, but it appears to have grown into something thriving and wide ranging, so I figured “what the heck.”

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

I’ve been a fan of Richard Thompson for years, but could probably do with a bit of educating in the ways of The Fairport Convention if I’m honest.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

This is a really wide ranging question for me, as I’m quite picky with the specific artists I listen to, but quite eclectic in scope with regard to genre:
Folk:- Pretty contemporary really; people like Richard Thompson. For more Americanised stuff, I like Loudon Wainwright, Joni Mitchell, M. Ward, tom Waits etc. I also recently discovered a band called First Aid Kit, who’re great.
Rock:- I’ve always been fond of REM. I also like some of the older stuff too; The Rolling Stones, The Beatles – ranging through to things like Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin.
Dance / Electro:- Stuff like La Roux, Le Rhythm Digital, MGMT, DJ Shadow, Asian Dub Foundation, DJ Hype etc.
Metal:- Pantera, RATM etc, through to really horrible stuff like Cryptopsy.
Local:- I try to support and listen to local acts as much as possible. I can recommend a lot of my mates such as ChickenHawk (rock/metal), The Afternoon Gentlemen (grindcore), Jon Gomm (acoustic impresario), Liz Reynolds (country acoustic), Sam Airey (contemporary folk), Giles Winterton (soul and folk)…

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

The biggest festival I’ve been to was probably Leeds Fest in 2000. I was a mere boy back then, and didn’t have a great time, as I had a gippy tummy. After that I vowed never to attend another festival until I was playing it, had my own backstage area to chill in, had band only toilets, and could stay in a hotel.
I managed this in 2008 when my band (a metal band… erk, I know, but don’t worry, my stuff is very laid back and folky) played a festival in the Czech Republic to 4500 people. That was an amazing experience.
The biggest acoustic gig I’ve done recently was while supporting First Aid kit in Leeds. It was lovely, and the headline act were brilliant.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Jon Gomm – Don’t Panic. I’d definitely recommend it, as Jon is not only a scholar and a gentleman, but also one of the most gifted guitarists alive today. No joke.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer “Richard Thompson” (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  “Beeswing” (name of song)

neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »

Matt,

apologies for the delay in replying. I look forward to meeting you on the boards and getting the drinks in when you're in the Arms

Welcome

Neil

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Matt_Bentley

« Reply #387 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:37 AM »

Matt,

apologies for the delay in replying. I look forward to meeting you on the boards and getting the drinks in when you're in the Arms

Welcome

Neil

Cheers Neil; hopefully there'll be much chatting abound Smiley

H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm H, well okay I was Christened Heather, but please don't call me that - the only times I get called that is when I'm working or in trouble, or both.  Usually both, come to think of it.  I'm Derbyshire born an' Derbyshire bred.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I was browsing the web for Fairport related sites and found you.  I joined because I wanted to thank the people that had posted clips in the Fairport-related You Tube videos thread, seeing as I'd enjoyed them so much.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Fairport are probably, on balance my favourite band, but I wouldn't claim to be any sort of expert!  This year will be my first Cropredy

4.   What kind of music do you like?

All sorts.  I tend to prefer something reasonably up-tempo, and I like to be able to hear the lyrics (although I have extremely dodgy hearing, so lyrics that sound clear as a bell to most people can be unintelligible to me)

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Err, did I mention a rather dodgy memory?  Oh wait, actually it would be Hastings Jack in the Green on May Day.  An excellent day out, I attend every year.  Drums, morris men, dancers, bands and lots of beer.  To quote a mate "Christmas Day?  Nah, best time of the year is 1300 on May Day, on George St, just outside the Anchor Inn".

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Err, did I mention the memory thing?  I *think* it was Oysterband's The Shouting End of Life.  Would I recommend it, very much so, if you like your folk with a punk edge and politics mixed in.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

You want rain?  No, seriously, I have the most god-awful singing voice known to man. It has been known to cause the ears of dogs 3 miles away to bleed.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »

I'm Derbyshire born an' Derbyshire bred.

Don't worry, no-one on here would be so rude as to complete that rhyme!!! ( A pal of mine's from there, so I know it)  Grin

PS  Welcome, by the way Smiley
H (Heather Smith)

« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »

I'm Derbyshire born an' Derbyshire bred.

Don't worry, no-one on here would be so rude as to complete that rhyme!!! ( A pal of mine's from there, so I know it)  Grin

PS  Welcome, by the way Smiley

Ah, but a true native knows that the last line isn't an insult - 'wick' is local slang for quick. Tongue

Thanks for the welcome!

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »

Nowt wrong wi' abein 'wick in yed lass, I should know  Wink (Strong in th' arm as well!)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
H (Heather Smith)

« Reply #392 on: May 26, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »

Nowt wrong wi' abein 'wick in yed lass, I should know  Wink (Strong in th' arm as well!)

Ah, a fellow countyman.  Excellent news.  Bet your place is a bit quieter now Gattis' mob have moved out!

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #393 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »

A new Talkawhiler, and a Cropredy virgin to boot! Excellent news  Grin

A warm welcome to you, H. I hope you will make yourself known to us at the cricket Pavilion at Thursday lunchtime, 12th August.  We are (as we often claim) mostly harmless.  Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #394 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »

nah, still as daft as ever H, I don't why they bothered writing a script and hiring actors etc.  They could have just sent the camera crew and made a documentary over a months period especially at full moon, would have been even funnier!!!!!!  Grin Grin Welcome to the madhouse BTW

H (Heather Smith)

« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

A warm welcome to you, H. I hope you will make yourself known to us at the cricket Pavilion at Thursday lunchtime, 12th August.  We are (as we often claim) mostly harmless.  Roll Eyes

I certainly intent to, assuming I can find it.  Which is by no means a given, you are talking to someone capable of getting lost in the village she's lived in all her life...

Thanks Dave  Smiley

folk fan jimmy

« Reply #396 on: July 30, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »

I'm James/Jimmy, and from North Wales.

I signed up for talkawhile after stumbling on it a few days ago when googling for... umm, yeah. I actually have no recollection, despite it being about 12 hours ago. This is impressively poor even by my standards. Some young folk artist I saw at Warwick, probably.

I saw FC a few months ago at Shrewsbury playing an acoustic set in Theatre Severn and really enjoyed it, have never been to Cropredy but hope to get there at some point over the next couple of years.

I love lots of different types of music, mainly folk (particularly Irish) and country.

Went to Warwick over the weekend - great fun, especially the amazing Maz O'Connor, who I saw three times and just kept getting better, Tri/Niamh Boadle, great group and met Niamh who was lovely, and Jackie Oates, who I was at uni with but haven't seen for years. Oh, and Katriona Gilmore and Jamie Roberts played Hunter Man for me - fantastic!

Picked up several CDs at Warwick, Jackie Oates' Hyperboreans, Maz O'Connor's sampler, and the 2 4Square albums - would all be high recommendations.

I've changed my mind on the singing one at least 7 times over the past 30 minutes so have finally given up!

Good to be here everyone. Smiley
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »

You do realise of, that your life will never be the same again now dont you? Don't say I didn't warn you..... Grin Grin On the other hand, I dare say you're big enough and daft enough to cope!

David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »

Hello there Jimmy. You are guaranteed a warm welcome here. Please do join in. As the old saying goes, the more you put in, the more you get back...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Viv G

« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

hi Jimmy,
Good to "meet" you Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: