TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726475 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: August 01, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!  Shocked  Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  Embarrassed)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

4.   What kind of music do you like?

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Thanks awfully.   Fez

Sir Robert Peel
220 years
LadyD (Sarah)
my blouse has been dispatched

Loc: UK, Essex

FanGirl - Born in the wrong century

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »

ooh I like these welcome quiz's

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
Its ladydetemps (aka Sarah)

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Curiosity

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
All I know is people keep mentioning it...and its something to do with music and Cropredy is a village and that's about it...I'd love a quick summary of what it all means.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
I have eclectic tastes anything from punk rock, pop, goth punk, Folk, Jazz, Indie, Emo, (anything from that past really)

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Leigh Folk festival. Nice atmosphere nice prawns plus it was free and local.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Well this moringing I popped down leigh and boughtThe Best of Steeleye span..haven't listened to it yet so can't give any opinions.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)
I still can't choose you'll have to choose for me. Wink

Help! I'm being repressed!
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

Sir Robert Peel and the Talkawhile Community request the pleasure of Sarah's company in the Members Only Corporation Arms.

Sherry and Nibbles will be served.

Bring your favourite CDs.  Dress:  Casual (but please leave any shoes of the C R O C variety outside the door).

Join the queue for admission by saying something in the 'You're Not on the List' topic.

No RSVP required - just join the queue for admission by saying something in the 'You're Not on the List' topic hereabouts.

Edit: Blimey - she's a quick mover.  She must have climbed through the window.  We'll have to watch her, everyone!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

She's made it into the pub already and she's been talking to Greglin and Frog..

I think she's probably doomed  Sir Bob,.. Cry

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
LadyD (Sarah)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »

Edit: Blimey - she's a quick mover.  She must have climbed through the window.  We'll have to watch her, everyone!

Someone left the back door open...and I wandered  in Wink

be afraid..be very afraid.

frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »

She's made it into the pub already and she's been talking to Greglin and Frog..

I think she's probably doomed  Sir Bob,.. Cry

Oi!.
I heard that. Angry
 Cry

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 01:05:20 AM »

Hello Sarah, you made it then. Grin

(PS she likes Bellowhead)

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:12:55 AM »

[be afraid..be very afraid.

Nah - I know how to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow  Wink

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
LadyD (Sarah)

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »

Hello Sarah, you made it then. Grin

(PS she likes Bellowhead)

Smiley Hello Annie D.

I sure do like Bellowhead...

Hey is your pic from Leigh Folk Fest?

Nah - I know how to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow

and I have my trusty sonic screwdriver

nicksmith2
n3wb

Loc: West Moors, Dorset

I just did get on with it

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »

I will answer in the order of questions asked.

I am Nick Smith from West Moors in Dorset.

I joined Talkawhile about a year ago but didn't post until I saw my name in a post by Malcolm from Hampshire.

I first saw FC at their farewell concert all those years ago, and followed that with their reunion the next year. I have been to nearly all Cropredy's including the one held at Broughton Castle.

l like folk music.

The last gig that i went to was at Bournemouth Folk Club at which Tinderbox launched their 2nd CD. The place was packed and the band played brilliantly. I bought 2 copies of that CD.

In addition to the above I have purchased "Raising Sand" by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant.

Favourite singer after judy Dyble has to be Sandy Denny and favourite song is "Farewell"

Hope that the above is all correct,

Nick
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »

Welcome Nick, an welcome Sarah! Hope you both enjoy being here and if you're going enjoy Croppers.  Smiley
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »

I joined Talkawhile about a year ago but didn't post until I saw my name in a post by Malcolm from Hampshire.

I first saw FC at their farewell concert all those years ago, and followed that with their reunion the next year. I have been to nearly all Cropredy's including the one held at Broughton Castle.

l like folk music.

The last gig that i went to was at Bournemouth Folk Club at which Tinderbox launched their 2nd CD. The place was packed and the band played brilliantly. I bought 2 copies of that CD.

In addition to the above I have purchased "Raising Sand" by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant.

Favourite singer after judy Dyble has to be Sandy Denny and favourite song is "Farewell"

Hope that the above is all correct,

Nick

Hi Nick

I saw Tinderbox at Wimborne festival, enjoyed them very much.

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »

Nick

So, it's all Malcolm's fault is it? Welcome. Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

Don't be so modest, Nick. You're the bloke who just booked the Aggies for your local village hall this year and whose daughter did her work experience placing in Woodworm.

And get your avatar up there or TAWers will be asking me to describe you. I may not make a good job of it  Grin
Sionedm
n3wb

Loc: Carmarthenshire

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »

Ahoy!

1. My name be Sioned and I live in Llanelli Carmarthenshire, although I'm actually from Anglesey, North Wales. I have also lived in Manchester for the educational period of my life.

2. I usually read talkawhile just before I come to Cropredy and decided I would finally get round to creating a profile and being sociable

3. I love Fairport, having discovered them via Steeleye Span (who I discovered from my Dad singing 'all around my hat' as a car song when we were younger. He used to change the last line to - "and if anyone should ask me the reason why I'm wearing it...it's my little ribbon and my little hat!" Don't ask me why but I grew up thinking it was the real line and was confuzzled to say the least when I heard the actual version and my words didn't fit!)

My fave fairport song has to be Crazy Man Michael, most of the liege and lief ones and also 'a sailor's life'. I am also a big fan of any of the really folky jiggy ones

I am about to go to my 3rd Cropredy and I can't wait!

4. I like folk, folk rock, some trancy electronic (but only really at the beginning of that particular journey), world music (big fan of the late junction), some rock (but not heavy), some manchester britpop, northern soul, baroque/classical/rennaisance, and a very small smattering of mainstream poppy stuff

5. I have been to a few festials this year: Big Music fom Small Nations (fab festival in Llandovery in Wales), Hawkfest (worked on roots cafe), went to a tiny little drum festival (djembe workshops) and soon CROPREDY!!!!

6. The last CDs I bought ( i bought 3 at the same time): White Chalk by PJ Harvey, A Stone Roses compilation and Led Zeppelin IV (wanted to hear the battle of evermore)

7. “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Sandy Denny and I will sing:  Fotheringay

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »

Welcome Sioned  Tiara

Come and say hello to people wearing a fez or tiara. Likely to be one of us. Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Nancy

Loc: Tring

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:50:45 AM »

I'm Nancy from Tring

I joined some time ago, but didn't post much. I'm friends with some of people on here already, and they seemed to be having so much fun at Cropredy with  Fez and  Tiara I thought I'd join in!

I've been a Fairport fan since I was about 5, via my Dad, and have been at Cropredy every year since 2001

All sorts - folk, but not too folky-finger in the ear, more lively stuff, Dylan, springsteen Tom Petty Neil Young Jonny Cash Hendrix, a bit of Elvis, Classical and Opera, and the occasional bit of Country and western when I'm in need of some cheese!

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Cropredy - it was ace, enjoyed the headline acts and one or two things during the day, but mainly laughed a lot

Johnny Cash American recordings 3 - highly recommend it, if only for a storming cover of One by U2 - better than the original

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Bob Dylan and I will
            sing: the whole of Blood on the Tracks
Barbaraville

Loc: Cromarty Firth

flonk that dwile

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »

Ah ha a chance to explain at last (hope it results in one of those lite sentences

I'm John B and I'm from Swinnow in Wild West Yorkshire but have gone on missionary work oop North where the wild things grow

That'll be the good old curiosity (I'm an elister really not a bored boarder)

Oh all sorts of rubbish - apparently there was a fire in Cropredy last month

Anything except Peters and Lee Tribute bands (It's gotta be the real thing)

Cropredy funnily enough.  Itw as of reasonable size, perfectly formed and had lots of personality)

"Piece" by Sir Tedward of the Thompson and its fair passable as they say in Occupied Yorkshire

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. Buzzy Linhart and I will
            sing:  ' Leila.'  

Now lets have a cup of tea eh?

Love and Mushy peas

John B

using only a small stick. a rubber band and some Uhu we were airbound and heading for Attercliffe........now that's what I call aviation
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »

Welcome, welcome new chums.  Do excuse the yellow Marigold Gloves and pinny, but I am currently assisting the Landlady in the Members Only Corporation Arms.  If you hurry now, you might just catch the last sitting before Thommo, our head chef, starts packing up.  

May I recommend the Full House breakfast in a Bun or the Liege and Leek soup with cropredy croutons.  

Catch you later.  I am just about to wrestle with the soap dispenser.

Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

Real name Josephine Ellis. Smiths-in-a-razz is an annoying family nickname (though if I didn't like it I wouldn't use it, would I?) Born Carlisle, now in Newcastle.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Nostalgia for Cropredy t'other week

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Four visits to Cropredy. What do i know? Ohh, lots. Matey, but muddy. A long way from Newcastle.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Anything melodic; things that are abstract or grandiose tend to pass me by, 'cos you can't sing along to them. Early Modern polyphonic choral works, particularly Byrd and Victoria. Ballads (the story-telling ones, not the slow ones). A soft spot for the corpus of tragic love songs in which one party is pregnant and the other absent or dead. Soul.        

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Some old blokes singing in the pub the other Friday night. One of them had bad breath and the grubbiest fiddle you ever saw, and this drunk woman popped up and sang along in a rich, resonant and entirely atonal voice. It was hilarious!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Family Mahone . Amusing, but not as good as live.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, my mum, and I will sing: the riff from "Smells like Teen Spirit" soprano."

It's not that she's the best singer in the world, and sometimes her choice of melody can be, shall we say, eccentric, given her style; but she taught me that if you've got a set of vocal chords you can have music wherever you go. Even if (like the drunk woman in the Cumberland) it principally gives pleasure to yourself, it might give amusement to others.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: