TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:18:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 734008 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #960 on: August 23, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »

Hi everyone...and thanks Jude for giving me the directions to the questionnaire (and yes I,be even worked out who you are - in fact I was listening to you on my iPod just today on the Festival Cropredy 2002 album.

Anyway to fill in the blanks -

1. My name is Chris and I'm an Essex boy born & bred
2. I have enjoyed reading the posts on TAW for a number of years and thought it was about time I joined in the fun
3. I was introduced to Fairport by my very dear friend, Tracy and have since been steadily acquiring as many albums as I could. I first went to Cropredy in 2010 with Tracy and have managed a couple of other visits since
4. As with most people, my music tastes are wide and varied although my formative years of the 1970s still rule my tastes
5. Other than Cropredy my last gig was seeing the magnificent Buce Springsteen at Wembley...not to everybody's taste I know but to me he is true genius and his interaction with his audience is incredible
6. Last CD bought was at Cropredy (quelled surprise) and was a couple the Wille and the Bandits discs...well worth listening to more than once to get what they are all about Grin
7. "Tonight Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Bob Dylan and I will sing Forever Young....Bob features as his style is similar to my own (think you get my drift) and the song means a lot to me

There - I'm afraid my answers are not exactly startling but gives you some idea of me

Born to Run (but not very fast)
madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #961 on: August 23, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »

Hiya and welcome Chris  Grin
joker1961
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

Loc: Roundabout Town

« Reply #962 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:02 AM »

1. My name is John and I was born in Salford, until `85 when I moved to the roundabout town (Swindon)with my wife whom is a local Swindon lady.
2. I`ve been listening to folk music for years, but never found anyone within my very small circle of friends whom don't like folk music at all so came to the website reading a few post and liked what I read so join up to chat.
3. well to tell the truth about Fairport Convention/Cropredy wasn't the way many here may have done but it was Robert Planet stating how great they are and Sandy Danney Sing on Led Zeppelin 4. the sad part  Cry never been to Cropredy  Cry 2017 is a must go  Cheesy see.
4. My own musical taste is as wide as it is varied `50`s to 2016, classical, jazz, blues, soul, rock, roots music and much, much more. the `70`s was my teenage years so Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, Genesis, Yes, Steelyn Span, Ralph McTell ans so on.
5. wow another  Embarrassed thing its been to long ago late `80`s/`90`s The Who Roll Eyes.
6.. well this isn't easy due to the number of Vinyl`s/Cd`s I`ve just purchased Steven Tyler/Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck/Neil Young/Mozart/Red Hot Chilli Peppers which is all I can remember now!.
7. " Tonight Sir Robert, I going to be Ralph McTell " singing Streets Of London...Both mean so much to me.

well sorry my answers are the seem as many others here........LOL

Peace, Friendship, Understanding and Music...
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #963 on: August 24, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »

Welcome John.
Edd F
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #964 on: September 03, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »

Hello everyone, my name is Edd Frost and have had previous dealings with the "folk rock" world being the one time drummer of Clarion who played at Cropredy in 1993 and 1996.  Also founding member of Little Johnny England.  Wanted to make contact with Fairport friends that may be interested in framed Cropredy Posters dating back to 1983 up until 1996 (I think).  I'm on a mass clear out mission and was going to pot onto E-bay for sale but thought I'd try here first.   Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #965 on: September 03, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »

Welcome to t he monkey house(as someone once said) Ed.  Wink Smiley
SandieAnn
n3wb

Loc: Birmingham, UK

« Reply #966 on: September 23, 2016, 06:06:25 PM »

Well, thank you, Jude, for directing me to this post. It gives me that nice, warm feeling of walking into a cosy pub in a strange village and being welcomed by the locals! Grin I'll answer some of Sir Robert's questions to get me started ... I'm Sandie (SandieAnn), from Birmingham. I was curious to join Talkawhile because I want to get in touch with other Folk music fans, maybe make some friends on the big bad internet to ease my hermit existence in the real world. As for music tastes, they're very eclectic. I love Rock, Singer-Songwriter, Pop, Folk, 70s/80s Disco, Rock 'n' Roll, a big Elvis fan since childhood ... but these days Folk is becoming my main interest, especially traditional Scottish Folk, my favourite singer being Isla St Clair, who I have actually followed (music-wise!) since the 1970s. Other favourite Folk singers/bands are Steeleye Span and Barbara Dickson. Of other genres, XTC, Kate Bush, Squeeze, Aimee Mann, Indigo Girls, Genesis, to name a few, take my fancy. The last CD I bought was The Ultimate Guide To Scottish Folk. I have never been to a Folk Festival, shame on me, despite being 52 (sush!). But, it's never too late to start, eh? Cheesy I am really hoping to get to the Banbury Folk Festival on 8th October to see my beloved Isla - this is my dream before I kick the bucket! I do not claim to be an expert on the Folk scene, there are many singers/bands I have never heard. Maybe someone can recommend some, educate me a bit? Better still, any female folky who may be able to accompany me to the Banbury Festival? I have M.E., and being the loner and solitary wanderer I used to be, I feel a little vulnerable going alone now - does that make sense?! Huh Anyway, hope this is an alright introduction. It's lovely to meet you all Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #967 on: September 23, 2016, 06:49:43 PM »

Welcome aboard, Sandie Ann!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
SandieAnn
n3wb

« Reply #968 on: September 23, 2016, 08:49:54 PM »

Thank you, Jules! So nice to meet you Smiley

SandieAnn
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #969 on: September 23, 2016, 11:01:49 PM »

Welcome.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
SandieAnn
n3wb

« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »

Cheers, mickf Grin
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2016, 12:00:18 PM »

Welcome Sandie Ann.  Cool
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »

Hi Sandie Ann, check out TradArrr - many people here love 'em.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdVlBRrywI for an introduction
&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agGiGpCfybA for a great performance of "Nattamun Town".

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »

Welcome Sandie Ann

These were voted top act a couple of years ago at Cropredy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20aAts-LPCY

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
SandieAnn
n3wb

« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »

Thank you, Andy and Andy Tuck, I'll check out those links. Much appreciated Smiley
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #975 on: September 25, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

Hi Sandie Ann
You must try to get to at least one Cropredy.Its Brigadoon for Folk Rock lovers.

More of a giant garden Party than a festival at times. You are never alone there and if you join up with us Talkawhile'rs at the Pavilion on Thursday around noon and at the Toast on Saturday at 7 it's like being family.
SandieAnn
n3wb

« Reply #976 on: September 25, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »

Thanks for the info about the Cropredy, Trev. I'll certainly look into that. Would love to meet fellow Folk lovers Smiley
Hemipode Nick
n3wb

« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »

Greetings from the wild west of Ireland. I'm actually here out of desperation as this site came up with regard a wonderful radio show called 'Christmas Champions' featuring Herbie Smith. Does anyone know where I can find a recording? The BBC links don't seem to work  Sad Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.  
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »

Hello Nick and welcome!

That programme and tour appear to be 2007-2008 so a fair while ago.. but perhaps someone here will have some helpful information..

Jude  Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #979 on: December 15, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »

Welcome Nick. Cool
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: