TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 01:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jethro Tull tour review (possible spoilers...!)  (Read 5139 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »

Well, that was all a bit odd....

Went to see Jethro Tull for the umpteenth time last night at the Bournemouth pavilions. The show was sold out (must seat 1000 ish) and expectations were high. Definitely a show of two halves..

The Good:
1. A few rarities given a good airing, such as Nursie and Sossity
2. Proper full length versions of Heavy Horses (rather than the recent trend for a medley) and an excellent Aqualung - I must have heard it hundreds of times, but last night was particular good.
3. Ian's voice in the second half (always seems to come up when talking about post 1984 Tull). Strong, clear and impassioned.
4. Clive Bunker bashing his bongos (!) during Fat Man
5. The appearance of the lead singer of the Dayglo Pirates on stage in full 'Minstrel' era clothes, singing 'Reasons for Waiting' (never heard it live before) - fantastic!
6. Mr Anderson's energy levels - I hope I'm as active at 60!

The bad:
1. Song choice in the first half - personal opinion, I know, but heavily drawing on blues/jazz era Tull - not my fave, and a bit dull (if well played)
2. Ian's voice in the first half was pretty shot
3. Abrupt end of show after Locomotive Breath.

All in all, I think I really enjoyed it...now, I wonder what a full show with Dayglo Pirates bloke singing, and Ian and the rest of Tull playing....hmmmmm Grin

Must check out Dayglo Pirates.......!

Cheers

Adam  
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »

Dayglos are very good, seen them a few times.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

42. Ian's voice in the first half was pretty shot
3. Ian's voice in the second half (always seems to come up when talking about post 1984 Tull). Strong, clear and impassioned.

All in all, I think I really enjoyed it...now, I wonder what a full show with Dayglo Pirates bloke singing, and Ian and the rest of Tull playing....hmmmmm Grin
Must check out Dayglo Pirates.......!
Cheers
Adam  

its been noted before about his voice and suggested that he might be miming!
any fear that it might have been this time?

The Dude abides
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »

Quote from: Jim

its been noted before about his voice and suggested that he might be miming!
any fear that it might have been this time?
[/quote

I didn't notice any obvious miming, although my eyesight is pretty ropey....however, there was a marked difference (IMHO) between first and second half vocals. Could be just warming up as the gig progressed.
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »

I didn't notice any obvious miming, although my eyesight is pretty ropey....however, there was a marked difference (IMHO) between first and second half vocals. Could be just warming up as the gig progressed.

He chatted with Clive during the interval, maybe that made the difference  Grin
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »

I really wanted to see Tull. Maybe next time Sad

Imponderable Joy
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »

1969-75 was the time to see Tull

The Dude abides
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »

1969-75 was the time to see Tull

Fat Boy Stan saw them in 1971, and we won't stop telling me Angry Angry Angry

Imponderable Joy
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »

I really wanted to see Tull. Maybe next time Sad
Hey man, if you really want to see them, unless they have already passed through, and they are playing within,say, 40 miles of your home, take it from me who has seen them 85 times, every tour starting with 72 Brick, roughly half those shows, probably all sell outs, I have gone, usually solo, (like alot of people my age, most old friends left Tull in their late youth for the far more timely world of things like the Eurythmics or Bruce Springsteen and I ain't sayin their wrong, just that they're not me) without a ticket, and have NEVER been shut out. Ian himself has said, not just as regards Tull, to go to ticket offices shortly before showtimes and frequently there are suddenly very good tickets available. I usually get mine by making up a crude little sign. Do not pay more than list, most Tullies wouldn't do that anyway. As to Jim's not incorrect comment of their critical and box office heydey of 69-75 that is more difficult to say. For years and years they were so reviled in the press of major US cities, beginning in 73 with Passion Play, in more recent years this has toned down, but often not reviewed at all, but unlike whatever the flavor of the year is, you can count on it being a sold out show, for 40 years running. Mere nostalgia? For many, actually yes is the answer. I like what Ian has said about recent tours and critics and new records and such as "Saving them the boredom of writing yet another bad review. I must say the reviews I have seen of this tour have ranged between very good and brilliant, and last years run through the UK I twice saw reviewed as the best show in any genre ever seen. So clearly to me they are not a spent force, and Ian Anderson would NEVER bring such a thing to the stage. And the best Tull tours I have seen were 72, 75, 76, 79,80, 84 (the oddest of the bunch since I was not overly fond of that years record) 92 and 06. Trust me the magic still can happen in spades but it depends who you are. Doubtless they can still bore the lights out of millions. I wouldn't wait that long to see them, although I do believe they will be around for a long time yet, I also believe I will live forever.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

The Bournemouth gig is up at Dime.  The guy who recorded it is pretty disparaging about it (and in particular the vocals and use of Paul Forrest)......

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: