TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:18:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any news on new Tull record?  (Read 5611 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: March 14, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »

Morning all

I seem to remember that Ian Anderson said the new Tull record would be out early 2008. As the 40th anniversary tour is nearly upon us, I thought that there would be some news, somewhere...their website is silent, and a quick google didn't reveal anything either...have any of you good people heard anything>

Cheers

Adam
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

Being the self appointed Tullist I should say that I have also heard IA say 2012. The 3 new tracks I can think of are all excellent, many that like Tull would disagree, but on the other hand they do not seem to be of a quality where I can't wait to hear it. The 3 I'm talkin about are The Donkey and the Drum, somethin about Dunsinane, and the reworked piece that I think had belonged to both Leonard Bernstein and the Nice, America. I do think both IA's and Tull's studio output since 95 has been there most consistent of the whole career, but I am years from awaiting a new Tull release with the anticipation I had for A Passion Play, which I ended up not even liking that well.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »

I like passion play and the chateu disaster tapes. They fit next to Thick as a brick well. I think that my favorite era is the songs/wood and heavy horses. I haven't found much of the newer material riveting, but it is not bad.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »

Rumours on another board I frequent of a re-master of 'This Was'.

If so, I hope it contains the 'complete' version of 17.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

Now I see on some link from TalkTull of late this summer but it sort of doesn't matter, though likely I will love it. Remaster of This Was? The entire catalogue has been remastered over recent years, This Was, of course, being the first, and probably dedicated to either Mick Abrahams or John Gee, the guy who gave the Tulls a break at the Marquee Club. 17 comes from the Stand Up remaster, personally  out of the 10,173 songs that Tull have recorded that would make a solid case for my least favorite, apparently IA agrees judging by the treatment it received on the 20 year box set. But of course if you like it, please show me the way, I don't like to miss out on any Tull. Anyways Tull records don't come alot more classic than Stand Up. A little funny when I remember that 20 year tour when Ian came bounding out of a wheelchair, with a backdrop that said "Oh no, not another 20 years of Jethro Tull." 19.1 and counting!

tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »

I like passion play and the chateu disaster tapes. They fit next to Thick as a brick well. I think that my favorite era is the songs/wood and heavy horses. I haven't found much of the newer material riveting, but it is not bad.
I love the Chateau stuff, it had the essential Tull element of humor I guess that was too often missing from the Play. I adore Passion Play in the right setting, but that seems to only come up about once every seven years, possibly the most difficult Tull album for me to listen to, but of course, I love it dearly. Even the live show I was disapointed in, would love to see it again and not on You Tube. We had shite seats in a hockey barn, reverberation abounding, and were uncomfortably drugged. Friends who saw it from the front row and are at best moderate Tull fans count it as the most profound evening of entertainment they have ever witnessed. I am quite sure their take was the accurate one. 35 yrs ago, so grateful they are still in the game.

Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »

I suppose I beeter play devil's advocate here. Passion Play is my favourite ablum, not just by Tull, but anyone, by quite a long way. But next is Songs From The Wood. Plus ca change etc.
The last decent Tull ablum was Crest Of A Knave and the last three albums were atrocious.
IMHO.

tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

Vot! Ye Dunnah like Gift of Roses, Bends Like A Willow or Dog Ear Years off Dot Com? Or Secret Language of Birds? The Christmas Album? Just kidding, entirely possible that it is boring and I wouldn't even notice. Love your take on the Play, it probably is that good. I was told at the end of the Chicago show, I am certain I don't remember, that Ian picked up the holdout phone from the Brick tour at the end of the show I guess and said 'The Play's on you". Cryptic eh? Or not. Love the instrumental parts at the beginning and preceeding and following the Hare, and it was likely the best Ian has ever sounded vocally. Having heard a few boots from that tour never heard him make that comment, but he is heard to say "Its for you."

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »

I like the "Donkey and the Drum" as well.  I saw them last December, the first time since "Catfish Rising" tour in early '92.  I thought they were great.  Yes, Ian's voice has lost some of its power, but I think he compensates for it well.  The only song I wasn't that thrilled about was their version of "America."  Didn't hate it, but thought the Nice did a better job at it, and of all the songs in their back catalogue, why do a cover?  On the other hand, you know, if the band like it and enjoy playing it, isn't that the point of playing music?

As far as Tull's and Anderson's recorded output lately, I love his solo stuff and wish he'd play more of those songs on tour.  "Catfish Rising," "Roots to Branches," and "Dot Com," I'm lukewarm on.  The great songs are great and the rest are unmemorable.  On the other hand, I listened to "Crest of a Knave" and "Rock Island" for the first time since I had them on record, and liked them a lot more than when I first bought them.  I liked them at the time, but now I like them even better.  So maybe those three have improved with age and distance.      

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »

"This Was" remaster tracklist;

The tracklisting:

Disc 1
01 My Sunday Feeling (1-10: Orig. Alb. In Mono (Unreleased on CD))
02 Some Day The Sun Won't Shine
03 Beggars Farm
04 Move On Alone
05 Serenade To A Cuckoo
06 Dharma For One
07 It's Breaking Me Up
08 Cat's Squirrel
09 A Song For Jeffrey
10 Round

11 So Much Trouble (11-15: BBC Session: John Peel, Top Gear,23.07.1968)
12 My Sunday Feeling
13 Serenade To A Cuckoo
14 Cat's Squirrel
15 A Song For Jeffrey

16 Love Story (16-19: BBC Session: John Peel, Top Gear,05.11.1968)
17 Stormy Monday
18 Beggars Farm
19 Dharma For One

Disc 2
01 My Sunday Feeling (1-10: Original Album In New Stereo Mix)
02 Some Day The Sun Won't Shine
03 Beggars Farm
04 Move On Alone
05 Serenade To A Cuckoo
06 Dharma For One
07 It's Breaking Me Up
08 Cat's Squirrel
09 A Song For Jeffrey
10 Round

11 Love Story (Album Bonus Track)
12 Christmas Song (Album Bonus Track)

13 Sunshine Day (Add. Mono recordings) (A-side Single MGM 1384, rel.on MGM in Feb 1968)
14 One For John Gee (Add. Mono recordings) (B-side 'Song For Jeffrey' Sgl. WIP 6043, rel. 1968)
15 Love Story (Add. Mono recordings) (A-side Single WIP 6048, rel. on Island in Nov 1968)
16 Christmas Song (Add. Mono recordings) (B-side 'Love Story' Single WIP 6048, rel. 1968)

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 11:07:50 PM »

Ah, for once the CD I've been meaning to buy forever gets re-released in a better version before I buy it.  Usually after I buy the CD, the new, improved, with extra tracks, etc., etc., gets released.

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: