TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:36:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour reviews  (Read 60354 times)
Les Worrall

Loc: Market Rasen - Lincolnshire

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »

Went to Cleethorpes tonight.

Really enjoyed it and Anthony John Clarke IMHO did a great support act.

Downside, was it was bloody freezing and the serving at the bar  was very slow.

The publicity for this gig left a lot to be desired. When I phoned up this afternoon and asked if tickets were left, they said they had only sold 120 tickets.

Anyway its nice to know FC didn't miss us out in Lincolnshire. Thanks guys.

20/12/08 Steve Tilston with Dave Bowie, 17/01/09 Vin Garbutt, 14/2/08 Pete Coe, 21/03/09 Maclaine Colsten & Saul Rose @
http://www.faldingworthlive..co.uk
Les Worrall

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »

Hey guys, you made the earth move.

Really glad we didn't have the earthquake whilst we were on the pier :-)

20/12/08 Steve Tilston with Dave Bowie, 17/01/09 Vin Garbutt, 14/2/08 Pete Coe, 21/03/09 Maclaine Colsten & Saul Rose @
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »

We always knew those chaps could make the earth move!!

Grin Grin Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »

Having been slightly disappointed with the set (B?) at Weston Super Mare a couple of weeks ago - the sound wasn't too good, too much reverb and a bit harsh - I am pleased to say redemption came last night at St George's in Bristol. A splendid evening, the sound was very good (I was really afraid of a repeat of the excessive echo which, in St Georges is really not necessary as it has it's own unique reveberating sound) the set list was the alternative set (A?) once they got going. Simon mistakenly announced the opener as Happy Man causing much confusion on stage, embarrassed, he gave in to do "the song on the list".  The chaps' humour and banter was great fun. We had a slightly obscured view from the balcony so couldn't see much of Ric. Looking left constantly resulted in the onset of an aching neck. So half way through the second set we moved to stand at the back of the stalls, much better and could even have a bit of a shuffle about, couldn't call it dancing!! Thanks Fairport, for a great evening.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

great show last night at Fairfield Halls.we were in the front row on the aisle right between Ric and Simon .Anthony John Clarke  was very funny but i can do without the constant attempts to get the audience to sing.

nice version of Reynardine,i didn't realise (ducks) that Chris Leslie was such a good singer.i also enjoyed the Babbacombe Lee songs and Eynsham Poacher amongst others.

Croydon is a good venue for us - back home in about 15 minutes.the only sour note was the bloke sitting next to my wife who played about with his all singing/all dancing mobile phone/camera far too often for my liking.we left our camera at home so as not to annoy anyone.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »

Aaahhh.....I know who you are billy....I was sat just up the row under Simon's nose last night.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

No one at Cleethorpes then?.....

Worked out which night that was? And what else happened that night?...

Some amusing tales from the band & crew....

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »

Aaahhh.....I know who you are billy....I was sat just up the row under Simon's nose last night.

come and shake hands next time and call a truce ? i noticed another chap,or at least his massive camera.was he an official photographer ? like i say i would have liked to have  taken  a couple of photos but  didn't want to bother anyone.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »

The chap with the big camera was me! NOT the guy to my left that you complained about....

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

The chap with the big camera was me! NOT the guy to my left that you complained about....

i would have said hello but i couldn't see you behind the camera ! the other blokes was all flashing blue lights.i am too old to argue with these people any more so just suffer in silence.

i rounded off a good night by picking this up on ebay for £3.19....................

Fairport Convention Cropredy Festival 2001 (DVD 2002)
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

Good DVD that apaart from the annoying slo mo black and white bits, youll see what i mean. Wink

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
Les Worrall

« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »

I went to Cleethorpes. It was last Tuesday night.

I enjoyed the show very much.

I am not in on the in so to speak, but personally, I think it was badly publicised. So many people didn't know it was on. I was told 120 tickets sold. I got 90 at Faldingworth Live which is very rural, for Jez Lowe & Kate Bramley and I could have sold more, but we have a limit on numbers. So I was very surprised at the numbers there. I am only 30 minute drive from Cleethorpes, so it was an excellent venue for me.

It was bloody cold in the Pier building and serving of booze very very slow.

Managed to get a chat with Anthony John Clarke and Peggy (one of the first things he said to me was "which part of Birmingham are you from"). Just can't get rid of the accent :-)

I am glad I went.

Wished I was back in good old Brum now, so I could go to the show tonight.

Les Worrall

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »

How did it go in Brum then?

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »

Absoloutely wonderful!!

The gig was as bril as all the rest of them this tour.. I loved every minute.

Maart came out to play Simon's electric on MOTL; Ian Campbell was spotted in the bar and later hauled on stage also for MOTL.

There were a few spare seats and we went and sat at the back because of playing bobble heads all through the first half.

There was a small handful of TAWs there.. that we saw at least...  Diane was with us; Mr Bates was there with his trusty camera; Martin Driver came and chatted; Graeme H and Simon Frisby too.  Last (although we met him first) but by no means least was a very very happy BIG DAVE!!

The journey home was a bit hairy in places due to the strong winds and very heavy rain.. but we rolled in at 1am.

How soon will I get wintour withdrawal symptoms I wonder.

Thanks chaps for a really superb wintour!!

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »

..and now can we have the dates of the Springtour Roll Eyes Grin Tiara
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »

31st May at Chipping Norton Theatre is their local one - tickets on sale tomorrow for friends of the theatre, Monday week for everyone else.

What a simply superb tour that was - I think the best one this century! Both band & crew workedtheir ar*es off - and it showed!
Congratulations from me, and I suspect from everyone else here. Anthony John Clarke is now a favourite, I shall certainly be looking out for hissolo dates.....

Now, I'm getting withdrawl symptoms already.....can't go to the Spanish date, so Scandinavia here I come....

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »

Any of your photos for us Chris..please??

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »

All that I am going to say is .........WOW!  Grin Best I have seen/heard in ages.  After the physical setbacks I have had over the last 18 months or so it was good to be out and about again.  Sorry to all if my enthusiasm proved a bit OTT.
 Fez Fez Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »

We'll forgive you BD...  Wink Wink Wink

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »

Good gig at Brum - saw Chris and said hi and I think I may hacespotted som eothers across a crowded bar but was with some other chums so sorry for not saying hello.

Just a few comments about the chaps IMHO:

Simon's electric was too far down in the mix for my liking - maybe due to the limitations of the room but if you're going to bring out the strat lets hear it properly.

Ric seemed a bit marginalised - especially at the end in Best Wishes, but I thought his playing was more sensitive and incorporated  into the whole band sound than in ages.

Chris is an astonishingly good singer now, he's really come on since joining Fairport and the Cropredy ticket price will be worth every penny as long as they do Reynardine with him singing it - an amazing performance.

Peggy is simply sublime - he makes the bass so much more than simply a rhythm instrument throughout. The man is a genius, and looking great and happy to boot.

Gerry - the man sings, he plays bass (ish) and he still looks embarassed when he has to introduce song. Oh yes, and he 's a damn fine tub thumper as well.

All in all as good as I have seen them in many a year - cheers chaps.

David W
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: