TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colin Meloy (Decemberists) accoustic live CD  (Read 6240 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: January 24, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

Well worth shelling out a few bob for, I reckon:

http://www.decemberists.com/news.aspx

I'm interested in what he says about Shirley Collins, and to hear his version of Barbara Allen!

Cheers

Adam
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »

Well worth shelling out a few bob for, I reckon:

http://www.decemberists.com/news.aspx

I'm interested in what he says about Shirley Collins, and to hear his version of Barbara Allen!

Cheers

Adam

The ep "Colin Melloy sings Trad arranged Shirley Collins" (or something like that) is essential, as is his ep of Morrisey covers - both sold at solo gigs only I think...but available at various sites of ill repute if you look hard enough...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

Not long until this comes out now...really looking forward it  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »

Ditto - I listened to all the Decemberists CDs yesterday on a particular tedious journey to Swindon...excellently refreshing (Decemberists, not Swindon). Mr Meloy writes great lyrics with really original tunes to match. Also good to see how the songwriting & arrangements evolve over each record. I read recently that a major tour is due for later this year - a must! Grin

Cheers

Adam
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »

Anyone bought this yet? I noticed it was displayed in a prominent position in HMV, but as I'd gone in to town to buy things other than CDs (and was already clutching 3 of the wretched things), I didn't think I could add another.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »

I listened to it yesterday for the first time. I had not heard Colin Meloy before and have not yet heard the Decemberists but I enjoyed this a great deal. Lovely songs, beautifully sung and very funny. I shall be checking out the band soon as a result.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

Oh dear; sounds like another one to spend the money earmarked for something else on then! I don't own any Decemberists stuff, but have listened to them quite a lot on Lasf fm.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »

Well, I listened to this yesterday, and I'm still puzzled as to what all the fuss is about. Yes, he does engage with the audience pretty well (that Dracula's Daughter thing was pretty amusing) but given the choice of all the versions of Barbra Ellen I've heard, this would be near the last one I would choose to listen to. I gave the Decembrists a try a while back, and now I've given this one a chance.
Oh well, we can't all like the same things.  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »

Well, I listened to this yesterday, and I'm still puzzled as to what all the fuss is about. Yes, he does engage with the audience pretty well (that Dracula's Daughter thing was pretty amusing) but given the choice of all the versions of Barbra Ellen I've heard, this would be near the last one I would choose to listen to. I gave the Decembrists a try a while back, and now I've given this one a chance.

After a hell of a lot of listens, I actually don't think this is actually that good.  

It seems very stilted compared with some of the live solo shows I've heard, and to be honest the dialogue intro sections don't work outside of the context of a whole gig, at least to me.... if I was setting off on a journey of discovery of this great talent this is not where I'd advise you starting..if you can find the two eps 'Sings Morrissey' and 'Sings trad. arr Shirley Collins' listen to them, and then put the Decemberists on....On reflection, its all a bit of a disappointment, which is the very last thing I expected.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:02:42 PM »

Interesting article from the Grauniad...

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2272333,00.html

david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »

After a hell of a lot of listens, I actually don't think this is actually that good.  

It seems very stilted compared with some of the live solo shows I've heard, and to be honest the dialogue intro sections don't work outside of the context of a whole gig, at least to me.... if I was setting off on a journey of discovery of this great talent this is not where I'd advise you starting..if you can find the two eps 'Sings Morrissey' and 'Sings trad. arr Shirley Collins' listen to them, and then put the Decemberists on....On reflection, its all a bit of a disappointment, which is the very last thing I expected.

What I don't understand is why such a wonderfully talented writer should be wasting his time on such a well-known if not hackneyed piece of the tradition.  He writes lyrics about subjects that few writers would ever think about, yet alone write, the Crane Wife probably the most obvious case in point.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »

I listened to it yesterday for the first time. I had not heard Colin Meloy before and have not yet heard the Decemberists but I enjoyed this a great deal. Lovely songs, beautifully sung and very funny. I shall be checking out the band soon as a result.

You won't regret it GubGub - I checked them out thanks to Andy L and I'm glad I did - refreshingly different stuff!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: