TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 27, 2021, 11:56:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Music for Old  (Read 11526 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« on: January 04, 2008, 07:44:28 AM »

now this is not a new phenomenon by any means, but it's about time i brought it up.
the first time we really noticed it was with Arcade Fire, who are NOT The Bunnymen.
then came Biffy Clyro, who are NOT the Queens of the Stone Age.
what about The Editors, who are NOT Joy Division or The Wedding Present.
or The Enemy who are not The Jam.
and The Feeling who are not any generic 70's pop/rock band.
oh and that Kate Nash who definitely is NOT Lily Allen.

i'm not saying that any of these bands are bad, in fact i like some of the aforementioned so much i bought their albums, but it seems to be so apparent at the moment.

all this was sparked by a good little band from Northampton called 'Olly Dabblers' who we went to see last night, and who at no point sounded anything like the killers, kaiser chiefs or indeed the kinks.

so what have you noticed?

(i'm sure more will come to me as the day goes on- Foals for one, but i can't put my finger on who they don't sound like..........)

it'll be fine.......
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »

cant say ive noticed the bunnymen/arcade fire similarities yet(ill have to have another listen)
and while not knowing a great deal about biffy and qotsa i have a son who does , so ill ask him
but the editors are a jd ribute band with their own songs in the style of...... and ms nash  is following, closely behind,in the footsteps of ms allen
i dont know who the enemy or the feeling are, and am quite happy for that state of affairs to continue
i dont listen to music radio any more its just too depressing

The Dude abides
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

Practically everyone I see on 'Later...', particularly if they're under 30 years old, and even more particularly if they're boys with guitars, sound like someone else to me  Shocked.  And then when I can't hear the words, I start to wonder if it's due to my age... Undecided Wink
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »

that age thing keeps cropping up with us too lately Undecided Lips Sealed Tongue

it'll be fine.......
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »

I loved all the 'originals' in your initial post, groove, and this is why I've ditched a lot of interest in any 'indy' music - all the stuff that used to be up for the NME 'brats' awards (Nirvana, Suede, Therapy, Bjork) all that has become mainstream and dilluted now. For a while the fashion was for Radiohead-lite bands like Coldplay (although I liked some of their music, it seemed very 'pop' to me). Unfortunately I don't pay enough attention to music radio to be able to put names to bands, but I can't hear anything which isn't obviously derivative - there probably is a John Peel Show' on the radio somewhere, but I haven't found it, and until I do I'm sticking with my first love, the "fiddly diddly" stuff, as my daughters call it  Smiley
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »

I like pop music.

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »

Shoobie doobie do wop
I wanna dedicate this
Pop pop shoo wop
Everybody made it
Shoobie doobie do wop
Infiltrate it
Pop pop shoo wop
Activate it

New York, Maldon, Paris, Munich
Everybody talk about pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Pop pop pop pop musik

Grin I like moose sick but then again goats eat anything Lips Sealed

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »

I like pop music.

I like Hard Handbag, especially on a Friday.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »

I don't mind new bands sounding like old bands, just so long as they're:

a). playing their own instruments
b). playing decent (imho) music

It must be really difficult for new bands to be completley different to anything that's come before, especially as most people are influenced by existing bands to pick up a guitar anyway.

I wonder if people used to say "that Gracie Fields - she's just trying to sound like Vera Lynn..."in the war!  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »

Somewhere there's bound to be a Nick Hornby-High Fidelity type muttering about ".....that Joanna Newsom, she's a total rip-off of the Hungarian Thrash Arse-Harp scene of the early Eighties"
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »

i know what you mean bridg and i agree, maybe i am just getting old, but it seems to be so in my face at the moment!!  it's every other new band!!

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

I know what you mean  Wink

Totally agree about not being able to understand what they're singing tho - although I've always had a problem with that.

I can still hear my Dad commenting on the Beatles: "Why can't they sing yes instead of yeah?" He couldn't see that "She Loves me yes yes yes" just didn't have the same ring to it  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »

I know what you mean  Wink

Totally agree about not being able to understand what they're singing tho - although I've always had a problem with that.

I can still hear my Dad commenting on the Beatles: "Why can't they sing yes instead of yeah?" He couldn't see that "She Loves me yes yes yes" just didn't have the same ring to it  Smiley

That reminds me of my Grandad asking me if 'We don't need no education' was Punk, because it was 'protest music'. My mother was a teacher and it didn't go down too well with her either.  Roll Eyes
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 01:16:37 PM »

I went to see Barclay James Harvest (I was young and innocent - forgive me!) at Southampton Gaumont in about '83, and my poor old Ma told a very confused group of neighbours that I'd gone to see the Beatles.  As far as she was concerned it was 'all the same old thing anyway' after about 1960.  Although by the time I got into Crass I think she'd started to realise that wasn't necessarily true  Smiley

She always used to ask how I enjoyed my 'conventions' when I got back from Cropredy or seeing Fairport as well!!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Oasis yet.... Roll Eyes

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Oasis yet.... Roll Eyes

Yeah, they're like the Beatles but more original.
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

I went to see Barclay James Harvest (I was young and innocent - forgive me!) at Southampton Gaumont in about '83, and my poor old Ma told a very confused group of neighbours that I'd gone to see the Beatles.  As far as she was concerned it was 'all the same old thing anyway' after about 1960.  Although by the time I got into Crass I think she'd started to realise that wasn't necessarily true  Smiley

She always used to ask how I enjoyed my 'conventions' when I got back from Cropredy or seeing Fairport as well!!
Although if my fading memory serves me didn't BJH (to give them their full title) have a lyric that was purely Beatles song titles?

It all comes round again I suppose.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »

Although if my fading memory serves me didn't BJH (to give them their full title) have a lyric that was purely Beatles song titles?

Hmmmm...'Titles' i believe that is called.  They summed themselves up rather better on 'poor man's Moody blues' or whatever it's called... Let's face it, they were pretty rubbish weren't they?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »

This debate sounds remarkably similar to one that has rumbled on over the years - Sex Pistols basically New York Dolls with UK attitude, Duran Duran were Roxy without the panache, Iron Maiden = every 70's rock band but a bit more punky etc etc.  One of the disadvantages of getting older is that when new bands "explore", i.e. rip off, ideas from older bands, it seems so obvious, yet to the younger music listener it probably sounds completely new and refreshing.  I realized the years were marching on when I read an interview with the singer of Hot Hot Heat saying that he got into music via his Dad's XTC albums!

Thank Drunk I'm God
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

Hmmmm...'Titles' i believe that is called.  They summed themselves up rather better on 'poor man's Moody blues' or whatever it's called... Let's face it, they were pretty rubbish weren't they?!
Had a friend who was really into them back in the early eighties. So much so he became a bit of a completist for a while.

Was speaking to him recently - about Fairport actually - and he told me that he'd been to see BJH but they were Les Holroyd's BJH and John Lees tours with his version.

Still the music of youth. There are bands around today bland enough to be mimicking any number of bands from years ago.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: