TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 13, 2018, 05:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Cast your vote for the Best Original Song  (Voting closed: February 05, 2008, 01:10:58 PM)
Bitter Boy by Kate Rusby - 10.2%
Dad's Gonna Kill Me by Richard Thompson - 33.9%
Never Any Good by Martin Simpson - 15.3%
Three Black Feathers by Bella Hardy - 4.2%
Tam Lin Retold by Benjamin Zephaniah - 36.4%

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Original Song  (Read 28710 times)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« on: December 28, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »

Hancock Award The Hancocks 2008  Hancock Award

The Talkawhile Awards for Folk Music

In this thread we cast our vote for

Best Original Song

The nominations for this award were:

• Bitter Boy by Kate Rusby
  • Dad's Gonna Kill Me by Richard Thompson
  • Never Any Good by Martin Simpson
  • Three Black Feathers by Bella Hardy
  • Tam Lin Retold by Benjamin Zephaniah

The Talkawhile nomination for this category was Tam Lin Retold by Benjamin Zephaniah.

Cheers!

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »

...And the winner is...

Tam Lin Retold by Benjamin Zephaniah!

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »

Great! Smiley

is this the first time a drum and bass song has won a Hancock?

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

Loc: Stockport

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »

Yeah Mun!!!!  
AnnieD
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:30:41 AM »

Well, Benjamin turned up and he was duly presented with his award by Sir Martin and Ellie. But sadly they didn't get to speak, Martin Carthy did the intro (they were very pushed for time).

What a great gig.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Ellie
Access All Areas

Loc: Newcastle

...is a festival tart...but not in a bad way

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:16:44 AM »

Good morning Talkawhilers...

I write to you from the Cambridge Folknet Cafe - still in my Bellowhead Pajamas, folk hoodie, last night's shiny eyeshaddow smeared across my eyes and resembling somehwat a folkie banshee with silly red hair poking out in every direction and the feeling of one too many whiskeys behind my eyes.

Here is a brief report:

We were due to meet backstage at 9pm but both Sir Martin and I had many hurdles to cross before stepping into the Imagined Villiage.  As part of my job as a tutor here I have a sticker to the guest area - a tent with a bar with a blanket of stars for a roof, an enclosure at the left hand side of stage one to view the sweaty masses and shining stage from relative comfort, a place with toilets with wall paper, pictures on the wall, soap in little bottles and TWO taps at each basin!!!  It truly is a different world.....  But even in my magical place there was a barrier - an open bit of tent laeding backstage guarded by a security guard...if you don't have the lanyard, you're not getting in...

Things faired a bit worse for Sir Martin.  He couldn't get through to the guest area (you practically have to be branded with the mark to get in) and so, with Delphini, he rang me from the lost children's post (and HQ) where he was valliantly trying to convinse them of his credentials.  I had to sswipe the backstage pass of Bella Hardy to come and find them and we were led by a helpful steward to the main entrence where we were presented with Saturday backstage passes under the names 'The Imagined Village'.  After sneaking in around the back, returning Bella's pass to her and finding the marvelous Ceri Wade and Simon Emmerson we found tha we would be on after a 'Hailly Night', but because of time constraints we wouldn't be able to speak.  (Such a shame, I had practiced my best speech giving voice and wasn't even going to ramble...Ok, I'll get on with it...)

We wondered back into the guest bar - I got told by a slightly tipsy* Mike Harding that my hair would catch good trout, I saved the boys from 6 Day Riot from losing out on £2 and reunited Brian Finnegan and Sam Pirt with their pints.  Time well spent I think.

Our cue came and we wandered backstage with Claire, my chum and honorary Talkawhiler for the weekend who was going to be let into the press enclosure to takephotos of the presentation.  Unfortunately I had forgotten to get Claire a pass so we were having to blagg our way round and asked the wrong security guard for which side to go on from....

Eliza was singing away and we were wondering if we were going to make it on time when Ceri came to our rescue (told you she was marvelous) and a slightly senior security guard said he wouldd take the rap if we stagedived or anything. (hmm tempting...)

We were introducecd to Benjamin, who seemed genuinley pleased to be receiving the award. and waited at the side of the stage, whilst the Young Coppers danced around above us.  The time to go on came and Martin Carthy announced some breaking news(!), that we were from Talkawhile and that the award was for best Traditional song (never mind).  He introduced the surprise guest, Benjamin, then me and Martin.  We shook hands, handed over the trophy, kissed cheeks etc and stood politely at the side with Eliza whilst Benjamin proudly announced he was a 'Rasta Folkie'.  (For those fashion insiders I was sporting a new £12 Primark balck tea dress with white apple design, red flipflops, Ellie's patented festival hair and copious ammounts of glitter after being attacked by Noah and the Whale, and Martin had shrots, shirt and a rather fetching hat.  For a similar look try www.asos.com).  Then we trundled off stage, watched the performance of Tam Lin from behind the screen, joined by Claire, who took a couple of photos 'cos it looked cool from back there before making our separate ways.

Thanks go to Simon, Benjamin, Ceri, Martin, Alan Bearman and Billy Bragg (who signed my sister's birthday card).

I'm sure Martin will have more to add.  I'm off to the showers because I found some secret ones...hooray!!!
Photos to follow one day.

El x

www.myspace.com/ellieskinner

soon to have music...
www.myspace.com/skynte
so still a little quiet, but the logo's good!!!!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »

Well done Sir Martin, Delfini and Ellie, surmounting such hurdles in order to present this Hancock to BZ.

Lovely cliff-edge teetering stuff Ellie Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
AnnieD
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »

Thanks for the report Ellie. I am determined to track you down today and meet you! So even for you it was tricky getting backstage - well done for succeeding!
(I appreciate your and Martin's efforts but I'm so glad I got to see the whole show this time - it was absolutely brilliant being among the 'sweaty masses'

More tonight - time to get ready to set off again - hope the rain stops soon.   Shocked

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »

Ellie, you should be a kind of folkie 3am girl (or whatever they call themselves!). Great report, and the quest to get backstage to present surely deserves a broadside ballad of its own  Grin.

See you at Towersey

Fi x
Ellie
Access All Areas

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:20 AM »

Ellie, you should be a kind of folkie 3am girl (or whatever they call themselves!). Great report, and the quest to get backstage to present surely deserves a broadside ballad of its own  Grin.

See you at Towersey

Fi x

Oh that would be cool.....although much of it unreportable.  Other 'highlights':
Convincing Mike Harding to buy me a drink by standing by the bar and offering to buy him a pint but, unfortunately am skint,
Quite possibly being vaguely insulted by Adrian Edmonson and getting rather dissapointed that the 'youth' that I am teaching don't know who he is.
Accosting Stuart Maconie yesterday when he was trying to eat the hugest hot dog you have ever seen and discussing the delights of spicy cider. (Also trying to find Mark Radcliffe to do a mini interview entiltled 'What My Hancock Award Means To Me'...or something)
Seeing the afformentioned boys of 6 Day Riot this morning after their very late night session right outside my tent...they were awoken at 10 by the junk percussion band.  Not laughing.  No, really, I'm not.
Knowing that there is going to be an impromtu Seth Lakeman gig (possibly) happening at the Hub at a secret time today...
Having a shower.
Hugging Pete Flood, Brian Finnegan, Sam Pirt, Jim Causley...ah all of them...possibly more reports later.

el x

soon to have music...
www.myspace.com/skynte
Ellie
Access All Areas

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:20:03 AM »

P.S. to original report....

Thanks also goes to the slightly slack security guard between the guest bar and backstage for not noticing that we snuck Claire round there in the first place.  Ok. Done Now. I promise.

soon to have music...
www.myspace.com/skynte
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »

I really enoyed that report From Our Own Correspondent.  Nail-biting stuff.  Grin
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Local Moderator

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »

Hugging Pete Flood,

Grrrrrr (mutters jealously)

Seriously, well done Ellie.  It all sounds tremendous fun!  You'll have plenty of material for your memoirs.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »

Ellie, Martin, Claire you are stars! Excellent stuff  Grin  Tiara  Hancock Award  Fez

Fantastic story! I feel quite exhausted after reading that. Ces would be grinning from ear to ear at that tale.

And big thanks to Ceri, Alan and Simon Emmerson for making these presentations happen in the first place and for helping everything through.

Cheers

Nick

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »

Sounds like you had a brilliant time Ellie! Shame you didn't get to do your speech but you did a whole lot else to make up for it!

Wish I'd been there  Smiley I'd have cheered like anything  Cheesy

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »

Just got home - some details tomorrow perhaps, but many thanks to Ellie - without her its likely this one would have been a 'no show'.

Oh, and to add that BZ, Billy Bragg and Eliza (who tried to get us to stay on stage and dance) are all really friendly people, 'and not a bit stuck up'.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »

Second attempt at this picture thing.

I noticed that Martin Carthy got it a little wrong with ststing the award was for the best traditional song. Did he not remember that "they" won that also for CHRN?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »

Another one- He genuinely semed happy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »

Wow - lovely snaps.

I think I might get the Lady Peel to knit me one of those Rasta bonnets.  It would be a great improvement on this darn fez.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »

Great photos Tommy! Thanks!

I noticed that Martin Carthy got it a little wrong with ststing the award was for the best traditional song. Did he not remember that "they" won that also for CHRN?

Mind you, Talkawhile went through a fair old discussion before we decided that the song should go in the Original Song category  Grin

Cheers

Nick

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: