TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:48:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Convention Starter suggestion  (Read 30599 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »

But what I said was - seeing them live will tell you what they ARE about- not what they were about 30 or 40 years ago.

Surely if someone is interested in FC as a band and their music seeing them live is key?

David W
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »

lets face it FC's glory years were 30+ years ago so thats the real quality stuff done before 77
 FC today, while an admirable institution, would struggle without the back catalogue
start at the beginning, work forward

The Dude abides
vikki rose
Sleeves rolled up

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »

I'm not so sure Jim, the current line up of fairport are ceratinly different (and to be quite honest I'm glad that no one tried to take Swarbs place, no one could have) but the addition of Chris & Rick brought new character and new musical direction to the band. Like all the best bands (and Darwinism) they have evolved to survive, long may it continue.

Right back on topic, did you get liege & lief Adam what did you make of it? If you like it the possible next step is the best of as it has all the singalong anthems on it (perfect for rehersing for croperdy, you'll be there before you know it, take it from one what knows  Wink)

Vikki xx

Friends of the Oxford Folk festival. F OFF in the nicest possible way......
www.oxfordfolkfestival.com
www.oxfolk.org.uk
Adam L

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »

Liege and Lief hasn't arrived yet, but I'll give you a shout when it does.  I'm already trying to figure out a way to be at Cropredy in August.

a
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »

So if you liked Michael Jackson in the Jackson 5, you must go see what Michael Jackson is doing now to appreciate him? Or maybe you think McCartney's new material superior to his Beatles work? Would you suggest a Beatle cd or a new solo cd for a new listener? I would suggest Abbey Road before anything else. Even if he does have recent cd. Things change. You might like certain eras or sounds. If I heard the new FC cd 1st, I doubt I would be a huge fan. Luckily, I heard L&L first. I like the trad. folk rock sound. I do like them in concert, but it is certainly not the same. Nor do I think the new material is a good starting point. I agree with Jim. Start from the beginning and move forward.

But what I said was - seeing them live will tell you what they ARE about- not what they were about 30 or 40 years ago.

Surely if someone is interested in FC as a band and their music seeing them live is key?

David W

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Linda Watkins
too loud and lairy for 'em

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

At the risk of being lambasted by Fairport diehards I'd suggest Jewel in the Crown - it brought Fairport firmly into my hubbie's musical sphere and I think covers a real variety of styles and material.
(My first experience of Fairport was via "Unhalfbricking" and my first live concert was the 70's Farewell Farewell Fairport event at Cropredy - yes I really am that old - I even still have the t-shirt which strangely doesn't fit me anymore Wink
I digress - just immerse yourself in whatever Fairport material you can get hold of and enjoy!
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 12:13:12 AM »

I think Unhalfbricking and Liege and Lief are definitely good starters, but like some of the others have said, you would need to go for a range to get a feel for the way FC have progressed through forty years. Lots of people still associate Fairport with Sandy Denny / Richard Thompson / Dave Swarbrick  etc..etc.. despite the passage of time, but since Maart left Fairport they have been a totally different animal altogether (despite Simon and Peggy's long-term presence) - I have to say, I find the different incarnations equally enjoyable and Over the Next Hill is one of my favourite albums. Oh, and I like the increasing, gentle influence of Chris Leslie's compositions.
Enjoy, Adam, it's dead good stuff!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31:58 AM »

So if you liked Michael Jackson in the Jackson 5, you must go see what Michael Jackson is doing now to appreciate him? Or maybe you think McCartney's new material superior to his Beatles work? Would you suggest a Beatle cd or a new solo cd for a new listener? I would suggest Abbey Road before anything else. Even if he does have recent cd. Things change. You might like certain eras or sounds. If I heard the new FC cd 1st, I doubt I would be a huge fan. Luckily, I heard L&L first. I like the trad. folk rock sound. I do like them in concert, but it is certainly not the same. Nor do I think the new material is a good starting point. I agree with Jim. Start from the beginning and move forward.

Well said.  I can't argue with any of that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »

Don't start with "Gottle 'O Geer" may well be the only universally accepted truth in this topic.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

"Gottle 'O Geer"

much maligned masterpiece
what do you think gabriel?

The Dude abides
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

Well said.  I can't argue with any of that.

Jules

I could but can't be bothered.

Adam, Fairport always say they're a current band - not one simply living on past glories. If you want to know about past glories buy the "CLASSIC" albums - this though will only give you part of the story.

I repeat my suggestion to go and see them on the Winter Tour if you can.

David W
Adam L

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 11:54:27 AM »

I'm gonna try to see them in St. Albans on 1st of Feb.  That's practically in my backyard.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:55 AM »

I'm sure you'll have a great time - and probably meet up with a few board members there as well.

David W
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »

Adam, Fairport always say they're a current band - not one simply living on past glories. If you want to know about past glories buy the "CLASSIC" albums - this though will only give you part of the story.

For me they are very much a current band.  I love the history but I also love what they are doing now.  Maybe I have just matured (not sure if that's the right word) along a parallel path. Undecided  Despite the apparent lack of enthusiasm for Sense of Occasion in these parts it seems, I really enjoy listening to it.  Give it a go Adam.  I'd also endorse going to see them on the Winter Tour - FC live are at their best!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »

Nevertheless, this seems absolutely right to me to cover all the bases in a digestible form, more or less up to the current line up (sorry Gerry!)

For a newbie, I'd recommend
Meet On The Ledge - The Classic Years, the 2CD set. Forget any other compilation album, this is the definite one as far as I am concerned, even though it only goes to 1975. But it covers excellently what FC is about. A huge variety of music. Yes you can get Liege And Lief, or Unhalfbricking or any of the classic albums but in this period the band changed so often that none truly "represent" what makes Fairport Fairport. Get L&L and you're in for a surprise when you get the next album, etc etc. But this is a fab overview. If you don't like it, don't bother further. If you do, well, better warn your wallet.
also, if you like the former-
The Cropredy Box. Cropredy 1997 on 3 CD's and as davidmjs said, can be found very cheaply but don't be fooled by the price. Wonderful live album, maybe made more special when you were there (this was my favourite Cropredy I think). Very emotional event, or that's what I remember of it anyway; the CD takes me right back. Yes you do have to wade through rather lengthy introductions by Joe Boyd and Ashley Hutchings, but I for one am glad they are on the album - again maybe because I was there, I don't know how it would translate into newbie ears.

To start with, these 2 I would recommend to any newcomer.
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »

I'm just curious about why you can't be bothered? I love a good spirited discussion. I saw them last year and everytime they have been locally since 1986. I enjoy the summertime  medley and the beatle copy song. I was very happy when they played Now Be Thankful. I beleive that was the only old song besides meet o the ledge. They are warm friendly story tellers and very talented musicians.  They are much sweeter and softer now. But it does not resemble the FC that I fell in love with. I listen to music from all ages. I have no problems with past/present. If it makes my hair tingle, I am happy. The new FC cds do not make my hair tingle. I do not think they are folk rock anymore and it would be better to call them Friends of Fairport or Fairport (minus the Convention). I have no problem with the band thinking themselves as current. It is just not my cup of tea. I would just recommend what I think is their strongest material, not what they are doing now. If you want folk rock with lead guitar, look in the past. If you want a softer sweeter, almost adult contemporary sound, see the current line up or buy the current cds.

I could but can't be bothered.

I repeat my suggestion to go and see them on the Winter Tour if you can.

David W

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »

Hi adam. It's all been said BUT for OLD stuff History of FC as an intro and then Liege and Lief and for later stuff Jewel in the Crown as a taster BUT people will dsagree with me
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 07:10:53 PM »

Harry Smith's Smithsonian folk anthologies... NOW you're talking... Have you got the new Levon Helm ("Dirt Farmer")? Very Harry... Cool

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Adam L

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »

Harry Smith's Smithsonian folk anthologies... NOW you're talking... Have you got the new Levon Helm ("Dirt Farmer")? Very Harry... Cool
Yeah the Harry Smith anthology is amazing.  Thanks for the recommendation, I'm off to get Levon Helm right now!

a
Adam L

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »

Hey y'all, I got Liege and Lief for Christmas.  It's like Jefferson Airplane with Celtic roots, innit?!? Thanks for the tip, everyone. It's beautiful (especially Reynardine).  I don't know how I managed to go this long without hearing any Fairport, but...there you go...

I also got Emmylou Harris, Pieces of the Sky; and Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.

What did you guys get?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: