TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:10:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rare Broadcasts on CD and DVD"  (Read 15889 times)
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »

Anyone heard of this compilation?

I just wandered out to HMV to see if they had any Karine Polwart CDs (they didn't) but this Fairport offering caught my eye.

It promised a CD of a gig at Birmingham Town Hall in 1990, which was of passing interest, and a DVD of Cropredy 2001, which was of major interest.  I got back to my desk and put the DVD into the PC to have a look (all agog now I'd realised 2001 was a year Tull played as well), to find that all the footage I could see on the DVD was of the Birminham Town Hall (1990) gig...  Not a glimmer of any Cropredy anywhere...  Huh??

So I put the CD in, and that's the Birmingham gig too, the tracks are the same and in the same order on both discs as listed for the CD...  Weird...

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't had my Cropredy fix...  I've tried playing the DVD through a couple of different programs and get the same thing, but I'll try in the proper DVD player at home sometime just in case it's a PC thing...

The compilation is put out by a company called Storming Music Company Ltd, and there's an Editorial Control disclaimer which is reasonably entertaining - it reads "This project requires totally independent editorial control.  This film is unauthorised and is not associated or approved in any way by Fairport Convention, or their past or present management."  So there!!  That's us told then!  What is it, some kind of bootleg??  Either way, it's a bit useless putting info for one film on the box and a completely different film inside it!  Should I take it back?  Could I stand the bemused look on the yoof behind the counter's face - "you mean you want to see those old fogies...?  You're weird, you are..."  Or should I complain to "Storming Music Company Ltd" and see if they can provide the Cropredy disc...

Still, I can marvel at the amazing hair-do's that 1990 brought to us...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »

The Birtmingham Town Hall DVD was owned by Classic Rock Productions....nuff said.

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »

Who?  I guess you're meaning they were a bit useless and have now closed down/gone kaput/disappeared...

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 01:56:38 PM »

They weren't paying royalties.....

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:58:08 PM »

Not Nice.  Hence the "editorial control" ??

Doesn't help me find the mysterious Cropredy 2001 footage though... Wink

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »

Can't find "Storming Music Company Ltd", "American Icons Ltd", or "Music Reviews Ltd" on the web, very mysterious.  Where are HMV getting these things?  I reckon HMV Uxbridge have seen me coming...  'What weird and wonderful Fairport stuff can we put out this week, she'll buy anything she will..."

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »

On the same subject, I'd be inclined to be suspicious of this one too, as it uses the same picture of Ric and Chris, and looks very similar in style...  I'll wait for someone else to review that one I think, having been mugged once already today...

Released by... "Classic Rock Legends", related to Classic Rock Productions, Chris?  No direct link, according to Companies House, but I can only access the free public area of their database.

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »

Couldn't you have a word with your local trading standards, seeing as it's not 'what it says on the tin' Huh

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »

These are typical reviews of CRP's DVD's --- here of Genesis - The Gabriel era

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-Gabriel-Era/dp/B000CRSFC6/ref=sr_1_1/202-8368618-3340623?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193671351&sr=1-1

I think all of their productions have similar reviews and I understand the artists to be unhappy....

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »

I'm well warned off that lot then, all promises and no delivery.  Thanks Jude & Chris.

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »

On the same subject, I'd be inclined to be suspicious of this one too, as it uses the same picture of Ric and Chris, and looks very similar in style...  I'll wait for someone else to review that one I think, having been mugged once already today...

That is the Cropredy 2001 DVD, along with the Brum Town Hall footage. I can't seem to find the Cropredy 01 DVD anywhere, but this may be of some interest to you. The Cropredy 01 DVD is very good, apart from it annoyingly, at some points, plays the warm-up gigs over the footage in black & white slow-mo  Sad Drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do...

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »

Can't find "Storming Music Company Ltd", "American Icons Ltd", or "Music Reviews Ltd" on the web, very mysterious.  Where are HMV getting these things?  I reckon HMV Uxbridge have seen me coming...  'What weird and wonderful Fairport stuff can we put out this week, she'll buy anything she will..."

Storming Music Company does exist - check here, but appears to be dormant (oh yeah?)

American Icons also exists - check here

Music Reviews Ltd also exists - likely to be the same owners too - check here

And yes, Classic Rock Legends is a trading name of Classic Rock Distribution Ltd, which is overdue on filing its accounts - check here

Classic Rock Productions Ltd appears, very oddly, not to be a registered company in England & Wales.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:31:14 PM by Chris » Logged

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »

I saw a copy of this in our local HMV.  Here it is being sold as a two DVD set - the Birmingham show and Cropredy 2001.  The catalogue number is CRP something, so it is Classic Rock Productions, who seem to be issuing stuff and not paying artists anything.  I will be avoid..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Phil Bellingham
n3wb

Loc: Margate

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 07:28:30 PM »

Hi Anna, Thanks for starting this issue up as I thought I was the only (mug in the village?). I would go down to HMV to give them a piece of my mind but I'm sure I can't spare it.

(The link from "The Baked Bean" seems really good. I have just started on the site and adjusting...calling a complete stranger the Baked Bean seems really disrespectful!)

Phil

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »

Hi Anna, Thanks for starting this issue up as I thought I was the only (mug in the village?). I would go down to HMV to give them a piece of my mind but I'm sure I can't spare it.

(The link from "The Baked Bean" seems really good. I have just started on the site and adjusting...calling a complete stranger the Baked Bean seems really disrespectful!)

Phil

Don't worry! I don't mind. My name's Ollie BTW. Welcome to TAW, Phil.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Phil Bellingham
n3wb

Loc: Margate

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »

Hi Ollie, Thanks for your Welcome.

I had a look at you link an I like your choice of songs. Raynard the Fox, one of my favs!

Phil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: