TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson Band Tour  (Read 59167 times)
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »

The Richard Thompson Band are on in Liverpool tonight but I don't think I can justify paying the cost of the ticket.

Don't get me wrong I want to go but the Phil for all the fantastic acoustics it is hardly an intimate venue and £22.50 for the cheapest seats is a little much at the moment especially as I saw him at Cropredy this year and John Prine is at the Phil Tuesday, although he is £2.00 more expensive.

Dilemma eh and oh yeah I want to go to Aintree on Sunday.

Why is it that there is very little happening and then three come along at once!

I could just say sod it and go to all three but I'm a student!

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »

Was going to post this last night but was just too tired. With crushing inevitability the M25 was a nightmare in both directions and the M11 coming home was closed too. Four and a half hour journeys that should have taken half that.  Angry It is a good job that I love RT so much and that he was so very good last night.

In fact there is a danger that these shows are so uniformly, routinely excellent that we can take it for granted. The back catalogue and the current material are so rich that it is hard to put a foot wrong. Whilst it may be possible to carp at what wasn't played (and personally I wanted to throttle the two idiots shouting for Beeswing, not for their song choice but for the aggression with which they were demanding it), it is hard to be disappointed by what was.

WKWTTG was beautiful and enhanced by the little polka like guitar figures that RT built around the melody line. Hard On Me was just incendiary with another one of those guitar solos that leave you open mouthed in pure astonishment. Come November 5th, forget the the fireworks. Light up the sky with one of these please.

The new material sounded strong in a live setting and I think Guns Are The Tongues is probably going to be a keeper live for many years. My personal highlight though was probably A Bone Through Her Nose. I am not sure that I have ever heard him play it live before. It is a real favourite of mine and what a great version.

A wonderful night then despite the travel. I wish I had chance to catch him again on this tour. Still, never mind. Ian Hunter next week and Oysterband twice after that!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:35:07 AM by GubGub » Logged
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »

(and personally I wanted to throttle the two idiots shouting for Beeswing, not for their song choice but for the aggression with which they were demanding it)

Indeed. But why is it always Beeswing? It's not his best, by a long chalk, nor is the story in the lyrics particularly stand-out?
Is it just that it's the song with the name easiest to remember?

RT is quoted as asking the same questions & doesn't understand the requests either - in fact, he's fed up of playing it, having acquiesced too many times to the request.

Oh, and he only ever plays it solo, but a lot haven't worked this out yet...intelligent fans, has RT....

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »

(and personally I wanted to throttle the two idiots shouting for Beeswing, not for their song choice but for the aggression with which they were demanding it)

Indeed. But why is it always Beeswing? It's not his best, by a long chalk, nor is the story in the lyrics particularly stand-out?

RT is quoted as asking the same questions & doesn't understand the requests either - in fact, he's fed up of playing it, having acquiesced too many times to the request.

Oh, and he only ever plays it solo, but a lot haven't worked this out yet...intelligent fans, has RT....

I have a feeling that people shout out for songs without any real interest in hearing them..for example at Oxford Playhouse in 1995 or so there was an idiot shrieking for Wall of Death, even though it had been played about 4 numbers earlier.  The other song I have heard people shouting out for both in Oxford and Vancouver is Johnny and the Pirates "Shaking all Over" - RT even played a couple of runs of the riff in Vancouver.  Bizarre.

Similarly at every Bert Jansch show there will be someone screaming for "Needle of Death",

Thank Drunk I'm God
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »

At the solo gig I went to, we were sitting with a woman who was enamoured with the sheer poetry of the lyrics: "if someone compared me with a bee's wing ... sigh" - her date was the one who shouted for it when RT asked for requests ... and he played it!
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »

I really like it, and I would go so far as to say it is one of my favourite songs ever written! Reportedly written with the mysterious, enigmatic, free-spirited folk singer Anne Briggs in mind, (who also is the inspritation for Sandy Denny's song "The Pond and the Stream"); it has that late 60's mix  of freedom, optimism, rebellion, "back to the land", romance, but ultimately disillusion; in it's lyrics and narrative, and then the quiet guitar playing, together with that gorgious sound of the Northumbrian pipes on the original studio version.
I didn't mind him not playing it so much, but brilliant and tear-jerking song all the same!
gmf (Giles)

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »

I must say I like 'Beeswing' too!

But I wouldn't be so rude as to demand it vocally in the middle of a band tour...
LC

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »

At the solo gig I went to, we were sitting with a woman who was enamoured with the sheer poetry of the lyrics: "if someone compared me with a bee's wing ... sigh" - her date was the one who shouted for it when RT asked for requests ... and he played it!

Also, some people might be at their first - and maybe only - show so will not have heard it a dozen times before. This was the case with friends at a US solo show earlier this year. They requested Beeswing and RT smiled in their direction and seemed happy to play it. They were certainly happy to hear it.

Whether or not it's one of his best songs isn't really the point as it's clearly a favourite for many (including me!). In the Free Reed box set, it was also voted one of the top songs that people would play to newcomers to RT's music.

Needless to say, aggressive and repetitive requests are definitely out of order.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »

Also, some people might be at their first - and maybe only - show so will not have heard it a dozen times before. This was the case with friends at a US solo show earlier this year. They requested Beeswing and RT smiled in their direction and seemed happy to play it. They were certainly happy to hear it.
Was that the Fall River show?
LC

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2007, 02:16:47 PM »

Was that the Fall River show?

No - Covington, KY. But it would have been funny if it was the same show you referred to. Grin
Breezestar

Loc: Haydock

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2007, 03:48:31 PM »

I must say I like 'Beeswing' too!

But I wouldn't be so rude as to demand it vocally in the middle of a band tour...

It got demanded again at the Liverpool gig last night, RT gave in and performed it during his solo section after VBL 1952. Awesome gig, he did around two and a half hours altogether.
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

Was a good gig wasn't it although had I'd been any further back I'd have been the Wallasey Wonderer!

The demanding songs issue is one which will always divide the audience. Last night's requests / demands were handled with humour. I wanted him to play several songs he didn't but as the majority of them are pretty morose anyway it didn't really matter.

The band were very good as were the backing singers!

At a Christy Moore gig, which may have been exactly a year ago, at The Phil he said he didn't usually do requests but in some places he doesn't get the option. This may be his standard answer but he has other ways of shutting people up.

Stewie Griffin.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »

The band were very good as were the backing singers!

Just checking - you are referring to the rest of the band, and not some separate singers here?

Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »

Just checking - you are referring to the rest of the band, and not some separate singers here?

No at one point there was a couple of rather fetchingly dressed backing singers.

Their dancing was poor though, very eighties.

Now if I'd taken a photo.....

Stewie Griffin.
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

Glad you went, as this was the last night of his current UK tour, or so I believe. Was going to say, that I whilst agree with your quibble about £20 plus gig ticket prices, this is still only a little more (say a round of beers) than seeing an ordinary local band in some local pub- allright, maybe slight exaggeration, but you would probably be kicking youself today if you had not gone !
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »

Next up - his 1000 years show, if everything works out. Some time in 2008.

Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »

RT will be bringing 1000 Years to Maine again this January...I've seen this show twice and highly recommend it. Do wish he'd come up this way with the band tho.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »

I caught the only two shows he's done so far in the UK - very enjoyable, and a good way of him touring around the same places within a year.

Just don't expect to hear *any* of his usual product...

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2007, 04:38:55 PM »

1000 Yrs is the most interesting thing he is doing right now from the basis that you get to hear nothing you expect to and actually spend the evening being surprised, it's almost like seeing RT for the first time.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »

And Debra Dobkin, on percussion.....as good as Jerome is on the kit!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: