TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:20:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson Band Tour  (Read 59137 times)
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »

That's Beesweb (really http://www.richardthompson-music.com/) and I presume you are talking about the NPR show at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11167464 ? Or is there another that I missed?

Thats the one.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »

nah - certainly played it solo five years ago....not every night, grant you, but regularly. If not that, Genesis Hall was his tip to his past...

I want evidence and I want it now  Smiley  I'm checking setlists of all the (several hundred) solo shows I've got and it doesn't show until last year....not saying he hasn't done it earlier at all - it's the use of the word 'regularly' I'm struggling with....

Let's not turn this tread into a - http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=24669.msg312522#msg312522  Grin

No lets, and what tunings was he using, and someone let us know the exact tab for every song he played, and what strings does Pete Zorn use on the mandolin, and does Danny Thompson take two bottles into the shower - I demand to know and I AM NOT OBSESSIVE!!!!!
... and what was the first note in the sopranino solo? (ref. the Al Bowlly intro on the Live From Austin, Texas DVD and CD)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »

You are all out of your minds and really naive if you think I don't know that the questions you want answered in no particular order are:

1. Star sign
2. Favorite color
3. Meal that is least likely to be eaten for dinner
4. Color of pajama's he prefers to wear on the road
Is it true that Richard and band have a deep appreciation for neo-classical architecture and take every opportunity to indulge in this obsession even during the show, and does this get in the way of normal functioning of a rock'n'roll band on the road.
5. To finish if Richard could be any figure in history who would it be and why?

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »

The worry is that none of this is too far from the sort of thing that gets into the Q&As on Beesweb!
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »

Just for the record (or the CD), RT played Meet on the Ledge and Crazy Man Michael the last two times he's done an acoustic show here..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »

I've heard him do a variety of oldies over the last couple of tours. The oddest by a long stretch was a solo acoustic version of Sloth! (Warwick Arts Centre I think, 2004-ish) It was somewhat shorter than other versions and didn't quite feature as much bass or fiddle but it was fine nonetheless.

I saw him 4 times on that tour in all and in other places he played Crazy Man Michael instead. I recall him playing Genesis Hall but only on request (he also did Sam Hall on request but that was different...) but I don't recall him playing WKWTTG.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 05:47:14 PM »

The oddest by a long stretch was a solo acoustic version of Sloth! (Warwick Arts Centre I think, 2004-ish) It was somewhat shorter than other versions and didn't quite feature as much bass or fiddle but it was fine nonetheless.

Me want to hear that!  Anyone know if it was recorded?

I'm pretty certain he's also played The Deserter in recent years....although i'm damned if I can find a copy...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 05:58:50 PM »

The oddest by a long stretch was a solo acoustic version of Sloth! (Warwick Arts Centre I think, 2004-ish) It was somewhat shorter than other versions and didn't quite feature as much bass or fiddle but it was fine nonetheless.

Me want to hear that!  Anyone know if it was recorded?

I'm pretty certain he's also played The Deserter in recent years....although i'm damned if I can find a copy...

I guess you mean the trad version. I'd personally prefer if he did the John Richard's version.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

Me want to hear that!  Anyone know if it was recorded?

I guess you mean the trad version. I'd personally prefer if he did the John Richard's version.

I do....not a big fan of the other song, I'm afraid...as fine as it's sentiments are...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 06:19:44 PM »

Me want to hear that!  Anyone know if it was recorded?

He did it in the All-Request show that was recently available on Dime - look for Davmar77's version.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »

He did it in the All-Request show that was recently available on Dime - look for Davmar77's version.

Oh for God's sake - sometimes I'm such a buffoon... I've got this....  Thanks Bob.

Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:19 PM »

Great show in Basingstoke yesterday evening. The show was a sell out, which was good to see. We were right in the back row of the circle, but the sound was great and the view good. The band really rocked - enough to keep my 13 year old happy.

I don't have "Sweet Warrior" yet but think I will have to add it to my ever expanding CD wish list (which was quite small until I discovered Fairport and the many connected artists). I particularly liked a song called something like "Guns are tongues", which built up to a fabulous crescendo.

Since there has been some discussion about the acoustic interlude on here, the songs last night were "Vincent Black Lightning" (which sounded as if three people were playing guitars but it was just RT proving once again how great he is) and "Withered and Died".

Celebrity bass player spotted in Basingstoke (apart from Danny Thompson, of course): Dave Pegg.

Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »

I agree, an amazing show at the Anvil, Basingstoke last night, well worth the long journey and 'Holiday Inn'.  The sound was fantastic and though we were high up and to the left of the stage views were not restricted.

I cannot add to previous reviews, but highlights for me, seeing Dennis' face change when he went from grumpy teenager 'why have you brought me here on my birthday' to absolute bliss when told it was to see RT, and musically, 1952 VBL, Sunset Song and a blistering performance of Hard on Me, which I'm sure must have lasted for a good ten minutes..absolutly superb.

Michael Jerome has to be the coolest drummer/percussionist,... beautiful to watch.

Dave Pegg seemed to enjoying himself enormously as well, viewed him singing alond to Tear Stained Letter with the rest of us! Had a chat to him after the show. Said how much we were all looking forward to the 3rd and he said to  make sure we're all there on time as it will start spot on 7.30!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »

3rd time Lucky!!!!!!!!

Just got back from Cambridge. One word - WOW. RT was on top form, and I was directly in front of him, with about three very short people between me and the front barrier. He was on fire. And not his usual sedate self. Not thrashing around, but still giving it some welly. He even jumped once. Twice in fact! Stand outs - Al Bowly, Hard on Me (outstanding solo) TSL, I'll Never Give it Up and Guns are the Tounges. WKWTTG was beautiful (he only did it because someone on the front row asked for it. Although this didn't work for the poor soul who was shouting out for Beeswing every time RT picked up an acoustic!) I think I prefer his version to the current FC one. There was no interval, so it was two hours of uninteruppted RT. Bliss! They told us not to take piccies, but here are a few anyway.

Ollie

PS - I noticed two mics pointing out to the audience, could this mean a commercially avaliable recording? I hope so as it was a brillaint set.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »

Pete Zorn

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2007, 12:21:11 AM »

RT

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »

RT again

peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:11 AM »

I was also at Cambridge- just got back; yes, great set and night. Little "folk" and a lot of "rock" by way of musical genre. Also liked the support, (Nashville country singer, Diane Jones- reminded me of Gillian Welch a bit). I thought RT looked a bit rattled when that bloke first shouted for "Beeswing"- (nervous, rather than angry). I really wanted him to play that as well, but he is clearly not prepared to include it on this tour. Mind you, aside from his band not knowing it, the song would not be the same without the Northumbrian pipes.
Very appreciate audience as well tonight- mixture of mainly the grey-haired species, but  some studenty types as well, Cambridge being Cambridge.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »

They told us not to take piccies, but here are a few anyway.

Ollie

ANARCHIST  Grin Lovely pics, Ollie - thanks....

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »

They told us not to take piccies, but here are a few anyway.

Ollie

ANARCHIST  Grin Lovely pics, Ollie - thanks....

Nah, that's my Dad.  Grin First time he's been sober at standing gig at the Corn Exchange in 30 years LOL!

Edit: There were a number of subsequent posts that commented on taking photos at concerts. These have been moved to this thread ... Nick

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: