TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:10:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson Band Tour  (Read 59136 times)
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »

Great review of Roundhouse gig in today's Guardian.
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »

No, but we are going to Basingstoke tomorrow as a birthday surprise for Dennis, so if anyone else is going hope to see you there. Tiara  

My daughter and I will also be there as a birthday un-surprise for me - we're in row n in the circle if you want to wave at us!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »

Anyone going to Cambridge on Thursday???

Yep. As long as I don't get stuck on the M25 car park on the way!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »

Yep. As long as I don't get stuck on the M25 car park on the way!

I'll be there too.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »

We were going to the Liverpool gig, but then found we couldn't go (Chris's fault... grrrr!), so we had to sell our (2nd-row) tickets to someone else.  Really disappointing, as we'd been looking forward to it.

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »

I presume that everyone has seen the link on Beeswing to a podcast of a gig by the band in June in USA. It is a full recording (about 2 hours) and is both easy to download and legal
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

That's Beesweb (really http://www.richardthompson-music.com/) and I presume you are talking about the NPR show at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11167464 ? Or is there another that I missed?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 05:28:57 PM »

Do you mean the Live in Washington DC one? If so, I believe Bob Barrows fiddled about with it a bit and made it more listenable (ie, louder!) and posted it somewhere on here., but I can't find it.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »

I had a copy of it up on savefile, but it got deleted due to lack of activity. Shoot me an IM if you's like me to upload it again.
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:15 PM »

Yes, me too. Hope he does "Who Knows Where the Time Goes". Never heard him sing that: I didn't realise it was in his current repertoire till someone mentioned it earlier.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
LC

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »

Hope he does "Who Knows Where the Time Goes". Never heard him sing that: I didn't realise it was in his current repertoire till someone mentioned it earlier.

I don't want to claim credit for this Grin ...but at the Cropredy signing session I asked him if he would sing this at the London show, as I had persuaded friends in the US to go to one of his solo shows there earlier in the year and he had played it then, much to my amazement (it was their first RT concert!). He said he didn't know as this was a band tour. When I mentioned that he usually plays a couple of solo songs as well, he just smiled and replied, "Well, we'll see."

I had no real expectation that he would play it, so was thrilled when I read on here last month that he had played it at the Vancouver show. I still did not want to hope too much, for fear of disappointment, so hearing it on Saturday night was a special moment in a great concert. I hope you get to hear it tomorrow.

BTW, does anyone know if he played it much at all before this year?
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »

Could this be a TAW convention at an RT gig???

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:48 PM »

Could this be a TAW convention at an RT gig???

I don't see why not  Cheesy

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 11:03:43 PM »

BTW, does anyone know if he played it much at all before this year?

Yes, regularly at his solo shows - not quite so regularly at band gigs - because he only sings it solo, and there's usually only a two-number segment in the middle where the rest of the band go off for a piddle....

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »

Yes, regularly at his solo shows -

Regularly?  Only very recently (last couple of years) if that's the case, I think....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »

nah - certainly played it solo five years ago....not every night, grant you, but regularly. If not that, Genesis Hall was his tip to his past...

LC

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »

I was wondering because I have not seen him play it in the last 10 years or so (not that I've been to all the shows!), and don't have any recordings with it on (not that I have them all!). Apparently, when he sang it at a US show early this year he was virtually apologising beforehand, as if he had not played it in a long, long time. I then read, either here or on the RTList, that it was a rare occurrence.

Whichever, I was happy to hear it on Saturday.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 10:08:30 AM »

nah - certainly played it solo five years ago....not every night, grant you, but regularly. If not that, Genesis Hall was his tip to his past...

I want evidence and I want it now  Smiley  I'm checking setlists of all the (several hundred) solo shows I've got and it doesn't show until last year....not saying he hasn't done it earlier at all - it's the use of the word 'regularly' I'm struggling with....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »

I want evidence and I want it now  Smiley  I'm checking setlists of all the (several hundred) solo shows I've got and it doesn't show until last year....not saying he hasn't done it earlier at all - it's the use of the word 'regularly' I'm struggling with....

Let's not turn this tread into a - http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=24669.msg312522#msg312522  Grin

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »

Let's not turn this tread into a - http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=24669.msg312522#msg312522  Grin

No lets, and what tunings was he using, and someone let us know the exact tab for every song he played, and what strings does Pete Zorn use on the mandolin, and does Danny Thompson take two bottles into the shower - I demand to know and I AM NOT OBSESSIVE!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: