TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:25:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sailor's Life - the Genre  (Read 22399 times)
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »

Has anyone mentioned the live version of Reno, Nevada by FC? That builds in much the same way and has a blinding solo by RT on it.

This is news  Smiley

First looks at google tells me it was never released.

Is it possible to get my cheque book (sorry plastic) out??

If so, where, how much......

Andy

PS Hope Australia beat England in the 20/20 !
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »

Has anyone mentioned the live version of Reno, Nevada by FC? That builds in much the same way and has a blinding solo by RT on it.

It's an extra track on the remastered first FC album Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »

Sorry, Andy, I meant to say!  Roll Eyes

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »

Are you talking about the version that's on the BBC boxset? If so, as good as that is, it doesn't hold a candle to the albeit poor-audio-quality version that was played during Jude's phone interview with that gent from NY. RT was on FIRE

That was from a French TV special wasn't it?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 07:20:14 PM »

Are you talking about the version that's on the BBC boxset? If so, as good as that is, it doesn't hold a candle to the albeit poor-audio-quality version that was played during Jude's phone interview with that gent from NY. RT was on FIRE

Yes it was from the Bouton Rouge French TV show.

That same recording is on the remastered 1st self-titled FC album, the one with 4 bonus tracks,
And yes Richard was unutterably FAB on that Cool Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
rolyh
n3wb

Loc: Suffolk

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

Hanged I Shall Be - Albion Country Band - Battle Of The Field
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »

Yes it was from the Bouton Rouge French TV show.

That same recording is on the remastered 1st self-titled FC album, the one with 4 bonus tracks,
And yes Richard was unutterably FAB on that Cool Grin

There is actually a video of that, as I remember it being on Folk Britainia.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:59 PM »

Did anyone mention Gresford Disaster from the Albions?  Gotta have that one!

But if you want to come close to that journeyman, primal dynamic, the Dead is a good resource - lotsa stuff from the Vault and D-Picks releases to find Sailor Life-ish mojo.  Look for live material from 1974 in particular.  New Potato Caboose from the already mentioned Anthem of the Sun will satisfy as well.  

Look for Golden Palameno's Drunk With Passion album, for track The Haunting (w/ RT guitar).  That will get you where you need to go!

I'll think of some more stuff later!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 11:27:01 AM »

I have to admit to not listening to this track for ages, but I am now....WOW!  Cool Cool Cool I'd forgotten how good this is. I really wish that the L&L line up at Cropredy had done this.

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »

A lot of these suggestions include a certain Mr RT somewhere in the mix. . .so try the contrasting but equally brilliant tracks:

The Cuckoo's Nest (first Morris On album: nb the lyrics make Bonny Black Hare sound like Enid Blyton)
Shoot Out the Lights (Richard and Linda T)
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »

Late entry:

"Fanny Blair" by the Oyster Band - I'd forgotten how good this is, murky recording and all.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

In all the answers and suggestions here I don't think we should forget what a great question it is that is being asked... What is this "thing" about "A Sailor's Life"? A superb track... even out-stripping Sloth for that ensemble-playing, theme-building, integrated development... So with something that good you do, of course, look for a "follow-up" or "the next Fairport Convention 1969" etc... I'd look at The Way I Feel by Fotheringay... has some of the elements... build, tension, relaxation etc... But also The Doors have been mentioned ... good call... "The End" has some of that fantastic "suite" feel... Sloth itself, of course... But all in all it's about groove (hip, huh?) - about a bunch of excellent musicians working together to develop a theme... maybe more of a jazz thing? Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain or Miles Ahead? Pause to consider what would have happened iof Richard Thompson had worked with Gil Evans... But again... try the long versions of Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young, or Cortez The Killer...

Great question anyway... and the dtumming is utterly superb... Martin... still missed!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 11:11:02 PM »

Yes indeed... what is the ethereal component that keeps "A Sailor's life" alive; concurrently at many levels yet with a brooding, throbbing presence running through it.

I agree "The End" and also suggest "When the Music's Over". I heard a cover version of Cortez the Killer recently and it was magnificent.

Thanks for the input on alternatives so far. Most useful. I have just received Trees and Television and will start playing those.

Another album that really does it for me in the same way is King Crimson's Islands.

At a different level, I'd like to suggest Terry Riley's "A Rainbow in Curved Air".

I think a quality that I'm starting to recognise is the sense of timelessness that I feel whilst I am listening to these tracks. They all seem to be able to hold the moment for an extended period.

Andy
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »

At a different level, I'd like to suggest Terry Riley's "A Rainbow in Curved Air".

I've always been intrigued about that record - I must hear it sometime.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: