TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: info/reviews of CD-ROM version of vol.2 Hutchings bio  (Read 6741 times)
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« on: September 08, 2007, 11:49:25 PM »

I'd really love to know what anyone who has this thinks of it, as well as have
info on how it might be gotten hold of, especially since the printed version seems
to not have any home at the moment.  Of course, if a printed version is published, I'd probably greatly prefer the convenience of that, but I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait that out if this can be had now.  

Please, anyone who has this, what are your impressions?

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
terryg

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:10:58 AM »

I would also like to hear about how to get your hands on this CD-ROM, since I can't seem to find a way to buy it on Ashley's site. Any ideas out there will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry G.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:32:58 PM »

You can email co-author Geoff Wall at g dot wall at virgin dot net.  Over 400 pages of fascination await!  A rather longer review will appear on www.greenmanreview.com in a couple of weeks....

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 06:40:09 AM »

The review is now up, at http://greenmanreview.com/book/book_hinto_wall_hutchinsredux.html

fstix (Michael)

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »

Excuse my necro of this thread, but Geoff Wall has informed me the Ashley Hutchings ebook is now also available via eBay, for those who don't have a copy yet...

http://tinyurl.com/5rg2sz

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »

ive got it
but i find this sort of thing a bit of a pain,i really dont like reading books off a screen and its a big old tome to print off yourself
i still prefer to read books in book form

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »

I bought it from Ashley at Cropps 07...  still haven't got round to 'reading' it yet...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »

Thanks for the reminder. There are now just 8 left on eBay - I hope this means that almost all of the 500 pressings have been sold. While £15 seems a lot for something which is only a CD, £7,500 doesn't seem  a large renumeration for the authors.

While I spend a vast part of my life using computers, like Jim I would actually have preferred this as a book. Like Amethyst, I probably won't get round to reading it for a long time.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:57:24 AM »

Yeah it's not quite as convenient as a paper version, but if this is all there's going to be (and if there is a paper edition it'll have to be edited down anyway) then I guess we take what we can get!

This might make it sound like a chore to read, but the actual story is fascinating and certainly draws you in, despite the format...

mh

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

There are lots more photos with the CD though.  That's one advantage.  Reading from a laptop in a comfy chair is not so bad either and I've done a lot of that this week because of my poorly shoulder.
JohnH
Pace some moments

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »

I have just finished reading it, after buying from Ashley at Cropredy - the authors were busy so he took the money on their behalf, during signing session. It is an amazingly thorough work and can be quite hard work to read but you really do get to understand the man behind the work, and really valuable insight into all the projects. It's a book I'll keep coming back to, and it has inspired me to revisit those old albion cds and tapes. And yes the pics are a delight. There is a lot about Ashley's personal life which I sometimes found a bit much, although it is very well written, and maybe not enough in-depth analysis of the musical side of things (for me). But I would say this book is well worth the effort if you love detail (every release and every gig is detailed) and love knowing the inspiration and background for the music you're listening to!

John
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:02 AM »

All the copies in that particular listing were sold rather quickly somehow  Smiley  It's been relisted so I guess it will be available via eBay for a while - just do a general search on "Ashley Hutchings".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: