TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:16:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Violent Femme' - Richard & Linda Article in the Independent on Sunday  (Read 7649 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« on: September 02, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »

http://arts.independent.co.uk/music/features/article2912605.ece

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »

Nevertheless, having been a prominent and very pretty face on the folk scene of the late 1960s, Linda Peters, née Pettifer, eventually married the scene's pallid genius, Richard T, adopted his Sufic principles along

So Linda was Peters when she married Richard, nee Pettifer. So was this her second marriage? According to the article, when she met Richard, she had just finished an engagement to Joe Boyd, but there's nothing more.

So, who was Mr Peters? Or is Peters just a shortening of Pettifer?

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »

Nevertheless, having been a prominent and very pretty face on the folk scene of the late 1960s, Linda Peters, née Pettifer, eventually married the scene's pallid genius, Richard T, adopted his Sufic principles along

So Linda was Peters when she married Richard, nee Pettifer. So was this her second marriage? According to the article, when she met Richard, she had just finished an engagement to Joe Boyd, but there's nothing more.

So, who was Mr Peters? Or is Peters just a shortening of Pettifer?

According to WikiPedia she changed her name between Uni and becoming Mrs Thompson.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

The answer, if I had read to the bottom of the article, is in a quote from Linda....

But I have been married my whole life. I was actually married for about five minutes when I was 16, Gretna Green and all. And I married my present husband five minutes after my divorce from Richard.

Bryan

Loc: Caterham, Surrey

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

Thanks for the link to an interesting article

Scary Coincidences

It's amazing what you learn from reading this board. I wasn't aware of Linda's original surname till today but amused to
hear that she shared MY surname though mine, Petifer, is spelt with a single 't'. Although it's not a common name nothing too
amazing, except that another fact I learnt on here, a couple of years ago was that I was born the very same day as Richard.

While writing this a third coincidence has just occurred to me, a short while ago I was looking at a war memorial carrying the
names of two brothers called Pettifer, where is it?      
in Cropredy churchyard oooooerrrrr  Smiley

Bryan

Bryan
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:20:37 PM »

Interesting choice of five folk-rock classics. Why, I wonder "Pour Down Like Silver" as opposed to Bright Lights or Shoot Out the Lights?

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:47:47 PM »

Interesting choice of five folk-rock classics. Why, I wonder "Pour Down Like Silver" as opposed to Bright Lights or Shoot Out the Lights?

'Cos it's better?   Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »

'Cos it's better?   Wink

How could that be? It doesn't have Don't Renege on our Love on it?  Wink Smiley
Dr Monk

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »

Interesting to hear about the abandoned Nick Hornby script - one of his essays in '31 songs' is on Calvary Cross - well worth reading. If a little over-written at times it is clearly the work of a music lover (as if anyone who had read Hi-Fidelity had any doubt of that).

I'm with David mjs on the choice of album - I love Bright Lights but if I had to pick one it would be Pour down like Silver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: