Steeleye gigs
<< < (4/10) > >>
Harbottle (Martin):
Quote from: Siobhan Nelson on August 23, 2007, 08:07:50 AM

Just thought I'd post a few ramblings about memories of Steeleye gigs.

My first Steeleye gig was at Hammersmith Odeon, Rocket Cottage tour - the gig when all the night's takings floated down through the ceiling.  Yippee... I came home with far more than I'd paid for my ticket.  :) Chris went the next night, and he said loads of people turned up with carrier bags - but they only did it the one night!  Anyway, money aside, it was a great gig.  Fantastic first view of Steeleye - middle of the front row.  I can remember gazing up at Maddy in complete awe.  I still try and get middle front row for Steeleye whenever I can (though no, I don't still gaze up in total awe like I used to - I'm not a teenager any more!).

Seen them whenever I can over the years, and I think the current line-up is wonderful.  Not keen on the 2nd Maddy/Gay line-up, which I saw a couple of times, but then I'm not a Gay Woods fan at all - sorry, those who are (though I do like Hark The Village Wait).

Went to 'The Journey' - what a great day that was...

Saw the Storm Force Ten line-up twice - thought they were really good.

Another Steeleye-related highlight from long ago is Silly Sisters on their 1st tour, at Sadlers Well in London.  Magic...

Latest highlight: Spanfest!

I saw them first in a poxy Lancashire town called "Colne" at the "Municipal Hall", where about seven years before I'd appeared myself in some grim school panto... I think this must have been around 1991/1992 and the lineup was, erm, Prior, Johnson, Harries, Genocky, Knight. This was a fab show, though, with a good atmosphere.

Saw them a few years later in Burnley, another grim Lancashire town, and when PK did his violin solo ("Canon"?) some old git in the audience started shouting "We didn't come to listen to this rubbish!". I remember when Steeleye came back on the atmosphere wasn't great... And it was clear the band were annoyed by it. I have a feeling we didn't get an encore. I wonder if PK remembers this?

Saw them in Chesterfield in the 1990s with Prior/Woods - but it seemed very short, although I was drunk. Last time was at Warwick Arts Centre in Coventry, Winter CD tour, which was packed out, and with a really good atmosphere... And an infinitely better venue than the others I'd seen them in!

I listened to Bedlam Born this morning. I really like it apart from the Gay Woods songs.

Jim:
burnley is the athens of the pennines my friend and colne is ....well.....the.... err.... colne of lanky
well at least its not nelson
bowler:
My first Steeleye gig was in a pub The Springfield Tavern in Bounds Green London in around 1969/70, it was upstairs and the room was full, the worrying thing was the floor moved as people jumped and swayed around and some of us thought we might end up in the Pub below.

The odd thing was about that gig was that there were 2 females singing, now I believe it was the lineup that is featured on "Hark The Village Wait" where Maddy and Gay performed lead vocals but the historians seem to say that that lineup never played live, but I am not the only one to remember it that way, both my wife and a mutual friend both remember that lineup in the Springfield Tavern.

I have seen them many times since including the Palladium on the 35th Anniversary tour and both Kentwell Gigs, plus Maddy on her own, with the Girls and with the Carnival band and with Tim at the Barnet Folk Club at the Black Bull Whetstone London N20 in the late sixties.

Looking forward to Spanfest 2008
Harbottle (Martin):
Quote from: Jim on August 23, 2007, 11:08:38 PM

burnley is the athens of the pennines my friend and colne is ....well.....the.... err.... colne of lanky

That's not how I'd describe Burnley. There may be children present.

Tell me about it! I had the misfortune to be brought up in Nelson and was quite eager to leave when I finished my A-levels. I don't miss Lancashire in the slightest.

davidmjs:
Quote from: Harbottle on August 24, 2007, 01:21:42 PM

Quote from: Jim on August 23, 2007, 11:08:38 PM

That's not how I'd describe Burnley. There may be children present.

Tell me about it! I had the misfortune to be brought up in Nelson and was quite eager to leave when I finished my A-levels. I don't miss Lancashire in the slightest.

And you live in....?  Ahhhh yes, Coventry....  ::)
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page