TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steeleye Chatter  (Read 380120 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »

New violinist announced Athena Octavia.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »

"Athena loves incorporating her passion for many different genres of music into her performances, and with her highly trained ear is able to improvise in many styles from RnB, pop and jazz to EDM and even dubstep. "  This could be interesting!  She'll also lower the average age by about 10 years just by turning up...  and possibly cause a heart attack or two amongst some of the audience.

What happened to the last new violinist?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »

"Athena loves incorporating her passion for many different genres of music into her performances, and with her highly trained ear is able to improvise in many styles from RnB, pop and jazz to EDM and even dubstep. "  This could be interesting!  She'll also lower the average age by about 10 years just by turning up...  and possibly cause a heart attack or two amongst some of the audience.

What happened to the last new violinist?

Well, there have been two (Jessie Mae Smart and Violeta Vicci) doing a 'job-share' the last few years, both with young families, I think.  So maybe neither could make this tour?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2023, 11:35:03 PM »

The cynic in me says that she's probably cheaper.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2023, 09:42:04 AM »

New Steeleye song released:

The Green Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQ1B64sCX0

Written by Bob Johnson back in 1985 and dusted down & recorded by the current line-up for a forthcoming compilation of the same name. Other new songs for the compilation include a version of Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding and something called Hey Nonny Violence.

Didn't think I needed another Steeleye comp but I think they've hooked me for this one.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2023, 04:56:22 PM »

I see the band are playing in Lancaster on May 4th next year - I noticed it in the Grand Theatre programme which came through the door yesterday. I can't see any mention of a tour on the official website but there are some more dates listed here...

https://steeleyespanfan.co.uk/latest-news

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2023, 01:45:14 PM »

I clicked on the suggested link, but was actually more interested to read that there is to be a forthcoming CD release "Live at the Bottom Line 1974", which will hopefully be a worthy tribute to the great Bob Johnson. I've never heard of Omnivore Recordings, so I hope they are reputable.
Greg E

« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2023, 09:29:17 AM »

It is reputable. They contacted me beforehand to help with the set list. They have the rights to years worth of Bottom Line club recordings from 70s and 80s.
Really lookin0g forward to it. Its great audio quality and a fun chaotic show typical of their US tour shows of the time.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #288 on: December 27, 2023, 10:49:36 AM »

Thanks Greg, in that case I shall definitely purchase. I refused to get the "Good Times of Old England" box, because I hate getting a load of stuff that I already have (on both vinyl and CD in some cases !), but this is definitely another kettle of fish entirely  Cheesy
Greg E

« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2023, 07:33:16 PM »

That's a reasonable position to take, but I hope you have had chance to listen to the two live concerts from the good times box set, the Rainbow 1974 concert and 1976 US one. They were new releases and the Rainbow concert in particular is a near perfect classic era concert.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #290 on: January 31, 2024, 05:31:46 PM »

The Enid as posted on their FB group.  Tim Harries at the back on the Right

* 424715630_10232588187145445_5659109372644520676_n.jpg (1602.15 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 259 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2024, 03:09:31 PM »

It's now exactly one month until their gig at the Lancaster Grand and I'm slightly alarmed to see that they've only sold about half the seats in the theatre. I've checked a few ticketing websites. See Tickets only lists their Falmouth date and Ents24 lists it and three other dates, including Carlisle which is sold out, but not Lancaster. One or two other sites don't list any Steeleye Span gigs at all.

I didn't manage to get a ticket the last time they were here as it sold out well in advance. I hope sales pick up over the next few weeks. Tickets are £30 including fees.

https://lancastergrand.co.uk/shows/steeleye-span/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: