TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:41:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Matty Groves" in upstate New York, USA  (Read 5487 times)
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« on: August 06, 2007, 06:02:44 AM »

I can't make it to Cropredy this year, so, to at least partially fill the resulting void in my life, last Saturday (28 July), my wife and I drove 150 miles north of New York City to a farm near Hillsdale, a small town east of Albany near the Massachusetts border.  We spent the day at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival.  It is in many ways like a smaller version of Cropredy, lasting 4 days with people camping out.  This was its 19th year.  You can see more about it on www.falconridgefolk.com.  

The evening show had six sets, the last being a group called The Strangelings.  They are comprised of The Kennedys (Pete and Maura, who have put out a number of recordings under their own name) and several other people.  Several songs into their set, I suddenly hear a familar opening riff.  OMIGOD! CAN IT BE?  YES, THEY ARE PLAYING "MATTY GROVES"!  In an arrangement very like the original FC version on LIEGE AND LIEF.  (It was remarkable that they had only just acquired their fiddle player shortly before their set at the festival.)  That was indeed a great and appreciated surprise.

You can see more about The Strangelings on The Kennedys' website, www.kennedysmusic.com.  They have a CD and a DVD available.

Meanwhile, I send my best wishes to all who are attending Fairport's Cropredy Convention.  I'll be there in spirit, even if I can't be in person.

Cheers ///  Tom***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »

you can also hear it in the strangelings myspace http://www.myspace.com/TheStrangelings along with their take on "season of the witch"
thanks for this post Windy old boy,i saw them both a few years back when they were both part of Nanci Griffith's blue moon orchestra

The Dude abides
Harry (Jules)

Loc: Banburyshire

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:59:01 PM »

Bob Barrows will feature a Kennedy's track on Show 131 of the Brolly.
Coincidence or what!

Cheers,

Jules

Promoting the music, heritage and characters of Banburyshire.
www.banburyshire.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: