TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:45:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA 2007  (Read 54665 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »

Umm, sorry but I thought this thread was about Fairport's current Yankeedoodle tour? (mutter, burble, burble.....)

Technically it was, embittered old Jim helping lazy but youthful Ollie navigate the wonders of bittorrent to discover the joys of fairport acoustic convention in the USA.

now there's a man with his eye on the ball

The Dude abides
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »

Saw the lads at The Towne Crier last saturday. Excellent show as always.

Still, it's just not quite the same without Mr. Pegg. Anyone else here in the US feel the same way??
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »

I wish I could comment but that would require my having seen them live before ...This Sat will be my first time. Smiley
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »

I wish I could comment but that would require my having seen them live before ...This Sat will be my first time. Smiley

Wow, Bob! Make sure you take extensive notes and tell us ALL about it Grin Wink

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »

Wow, Bob! Make sure you take extensive notes and tell us ALL about it Grin Wink
That is definitely on my agenda  Smiley
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2007, 05:30:02 AM »

Just arrived home from my first FC gig - totally satisfied.
It was an historic performance: Chris was indisposed with a chest infection, so Simon and Rick performed as a duo. Overcoming some initial technical issues, they gave a tremendous performance. My wife, who was not very familiar at all with Fairport (despite my playing them to death the past few weeks), exclaimed: "He's such a good fiddler!", so she apparently enjoyed it as well. I'm going to bed now. Pictures and setlist can wait till morning.  Fez
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »

Just arrived home from my first FC gig - totally satisfied.
It was an historic performance: Chris was indisposed with a chest infection, so Simon and Rick performed as a duo. Overcoming some initial technical issues, they gave a tremendous performance. My wife, who was not very familiar at all with Fairport (despite my playing them to death the past few weeks), exclaimed: "He's such a good fiddler!", so she apparently enjoyed it as well. I'm going to bed now. Pictures and setlist can wait till morning.  Fez

The incredible shrinking band!  Glad you enjoyed it though, and let's hope Chris isn't too poorly...  Look forward to the pictures (of the duo, not of Chris being poorly...that would be silly)  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

When my wife and I arrived at the Narrows Center in Fall River, already feeling the effects of a very hot, muggy evening, we could not miss the sign on the door announcing that Simon and Ric would be performing as a duo due to a chest infection afflicting Chris Leslie. Full of concern for Chris, we trudged up the steps to the third floor of the converted textile mill, only to discover the true meaning of "hot and humid". A very light breeze coming through the open windows was only felt by those fortunate enough to be sitting or standing near those windows, and a single fan was of no help at all. Fortunately, we came prepared with plenty of liquid refreshment  Wink

The FAD (Fairport Acoustic Duo) opened with Over the Next Hill, but technical problems (loud snapping sounds I suspect were coming from the monitors) forced them to stop midway through the song. While Rob B. and Simon attended to the equipment, Ric entertained us with some standup material until the problem was sorted, upon which, with no prior discussion it seemed, they launched into the song right from the point they had left off!
For the next two hours, despite the absence of Chris' vocals and mandolin fills, these two consummate professionals rose to and met the challenges of both the heat and the task of bringing us through 40 years of Fairport history. There were three songs with which I was unfamiliar: the one song they played from SoO, Your Heart and Mine, an instrumental, and Over the Lancashire Hills which I have since discovered was from a Simon Nicol solo album. I was a little surprised at the lack of SoO songs, but I suspect the absence of Chris Leslie may have contributed to that outcome.

Best wishes for a quick recovery to Chris. Here is the entire set list:

Over the Next Hill
Close to the Wind
Morris medley: Sheriff's Ride/Upton-on-Severn Stick Dance
Crazy Man Michael
Instrumental medleyL Sophisticated Lady/Here, There and Everywhere
Genesis Hall
Instrumental I did not recognize - I think it was Woodworm Swing
Travelling by Steam
Over the Lancashire Hills
Your Heart and Mine
Slipjigs and Reels
Wood and the Wire
Canny Capers
Hiring Fair
Meet on the Ledge

Pics to follow.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »

Pic #1

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »

Pic #2

Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:45 PM »

Pic #3

Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »

Pic #4

Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »

Very glad to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the gig despite the humidity and Chris not being able to play. I remember thinking last year that Simon and Ric made a great duo when they did the Beatles song and then Summertime together.
Here's hoping Chris is better soon.
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:18 AM »

I and members of my family attended the Friday 1 June show at Bodles Opera House in Chester NEW YORK, and also the Sunday 3 June show at Joe's Pub in New York City (last show of this year's USA Tour).

On Friday night, Chris had a severe sore throat and could not sing, but he was on stage playing his instruments.  The setlist was almost the same as in Bob's report from Fall River Mass. the next night, adapted to have more songs that Simon sings, plus a few more instrumentals.  There was some difference in order, and we had one more instrumental (I think it was the medley from LIEGE & LIEF); we also had "Widow of Westmoreland" as the closing number instead of "Meet On The Ledge".  Also, "Girl From The Hiring Fair" segued into "Summertime" in the manner that the FAC configuration has been doing it for several years.

When I heard from Bob's report that Chris could not appear at all Saturday night, I was concerned that his condition was getting worse, but I still planned to attend the Sunday show, as I've heard from past reports that Simon and Ric do quite nicely as a duo (consummate professionals that they are).

When I entered Joe's Pub Sunday evening, I was immediately brightened: I saw 3 chairs on the stage, with Chris's instruments set out.  So I wondered: would we be back to Friday night's format?  Well, I'm happy to report that, while Chris has significant recovery to go, he DID SING!  He sang "Keep On Turning The Wheel" and "The Vision" from SENSE OF OCCASION, and also "I'm Already There" and "John Gaudie" (the encore), plus the backup singing he usually does on other songs.  In particular, I was surprised at the inclusion of "I'm Already There", because I think of that as real anthemic vocal workout number that one would want to be in full normal condition to do.  But Chris just would not be denied!  

In sum, the chaps delivered a steaming show to close out the 2007 USA Tour.  The people were very happy and were even clamoring for a second encore.  However, there was not time for that with Joe's Pub's format, whereby they had to clear the house to get ready for the next show with another band.

In particular, it was a happy occasion for me, because my son and his girl friend were there.  He'd had to miss the Friday show because that was her high school graduation day; but now on Sunday, he got to bring her to her first Fairport Convention show.

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php#news1

chris writes from america

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »

There's a song coming, isn't there? The one about the school of dolphins displaced by the giant aircraft carrier. . .
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

thats a brilliant idea of the yanks, naming an aircraft carrier after an idiot.
It will turn up off some unfriendly country and all the "enemy" soldiers will be unable to fight cos they are laughing so much.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2007, 09:34:01 AM »

thats a brilliant idea of the yanks, naming an aircraft carrier after an idiot.
It will turn up off some unfriendly country and all the "enemy" soldiers will be unable to fight cos they are laughing so much.

You can't really call RR an idiot Billy, be fair. He did leave a sizeable library to the nation, and some of the books hadn't been coloured in either!

Jackdaw
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »

Interesting analysis of RR's white house diaries on the BBC t'other day. Basically, despite any appearance to the contrary, he appears to have had his marbles up to the end of his Presidency.

I'm no RR fan, and possibly willing to buy into a theory that the diaries must have been ghosted, but the BBC thought it unlikely....

If he was an idiot, he was an itiot savant, much as Muhammed Ali was/is. Low IQ, high cunning.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »

If he was an idiot, he was an itiot savant, much as Muhammed Ali was/is. Low IQ, high cunning.

Muhammed Ali - low IQ?  I think not...  Ronald Raygun on the other hand....  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: