TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:49:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Jethro Tull record this year...?  (Read 8621 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: May 03, 2007, 04:12:30 PM »

I (think) Ian Anderson said at the Tull gig in Salisbury that a new Jethro Tull record will be released later this year Grin. Did I hear him correctly, and any idea what the line-up will be?

Cheers

Adam
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »

There's a Best Of... Acoustic, due out tomorrow.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:50:20 PM »

any idea of what tracks?

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »

1.  Fat Man                          2:51
2.  Life Is A Long Song              3:17
3.  Cheap Day Return                 1:22
4.  Mother Goose                     3:52
5.  Wond'ring Aloud                  1:54
6.  Thick As A Brick                 3:02
7.  Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of  4:10
   The New Day
8.  Cold Wind To Valhalla            1:29
9.  One White Duck / 010 = Nothing   4:37
   At All
10. Salamander                       2:51
11. Jack In The Green                2:29
12. Velvet Green                     6:02
13. Dun Ringill                      2:41
14. Jack Frost And The Hooded Crow   3:22
15. Under Wraps 2                    2:14
16. Jack-A-Lynn                      4:56
17. Someday The Sun Won't Shine      2:00
18. Broadford Bazaar                 3:38
19. The Water Carrier                2:56
20. Rupi's Dance                     3:00
21. A Christmas Song                 2:49
22. Weathercock                      4:20
23. One Brown Mouse (Re-recorded     3:40
   2007)
24. Pastime With Good Company (Live  4:13
   Denmark 2006)
how about these ones?

The Dude abides
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »

I'd love a real new JT album this year, but the band seem to be, ahem, "on hiatus" in recording terms. Sad

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »

Through my incessant sleuthing and irregular communication with four present and former Tullies, the idea tentatively is for a new record in October. It is possible (to my perception) that members of what has been the current band for 12 yrs and Ian's solo group will all be on there, officially Andy Giddings and Jon Noyce are still in the group although many ardent Tullies are quick to think the worst of Ian's intentions due to past history, once involving Maartin Allcock and of course the famous split in 80 involving Palmer, Barlow, and Evans. What gets forgotten is Barlow and Palmer were already leaving. John Evans was the most irreplacable and probably the most hurt. Jeffrey and Dave in the waybacks while irreplacable did leave on their own. BTW Doane Perry was back in the drum seat for the recent trek in S America. I understand of the 4? wonderful violinists used in the past 2 yrs at least Anna Phoebe will be on the new record. As well read a blurb on TalkTull that "a certain barefoot violinist" will be rejoining for a time later this yr. That of course can only be the very wonderful Lucia Micarelli. More than you want to know yet? Wait, I got more....

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »

Having seen the listing and then heard the album, as a lifetime Tull fan I can only say that this album is a colossal waste of time and money for any fan. Is it contract fulfillment time or what?

Pointless and made even more so by taking some acoustic bits from non-acoustic albums like "Thick As A Brick".

Don't buy this, please. One re-recording and a live performance? Never going to be worth the money.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »

Here´s an interview: http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_stars/ian_anderson.htm

He says some weird things about the line up: Whos´s in Jethro Tull really depends who picks up on the phone when I call them
 Angry Sad Huh
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »

I'd heard the others weren't happy about Ian doing his solo thing?

taylor
a soft spot for Tara Palmer wotsit

Loc: Slightly to the south

moving sideways

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »

Don't know about a new album but noticed that  acoustic Tull
are playing in cornwall Du Maurier Festival on 14 may  £32.50 per ticket !! and its sold out .

Turn the other cheek?   NO  just shut up !!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »

He says some weird things about the line up: Whos´s in Jethro Tull really depends who picks up on the phone when I call them
 Angry Sad Huh

That's hardly news is it - hasn't it always been thus (Martin Barre excepted)....?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

Angry Sad Huh

That's hardly news is it - hasn't it always been thus (Martin Barre excepted)....?

Yeah, Ulla, what do you know?  Roll Eyes

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:04:30 PM »

Angry Sad Huh

If the year were 1982 the answer would be yes, since then, admittedly in years when they have inched even further away from the limelight they have been blessed with a very stable lineup, Jon Noyce for 12 yrs, preceeded by Dave for 16, Andy Giddings for 15, Doane Perry for the past 23.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:14:06 PM »

Angry Sad Huh

If the year were 1982 the answer would be yes, since then, admittedly in years when they have inched even further away from the limelight they have been blessed with a very stable lineup, Jon Noyce for 12 yrs, preceeded by Dave for 16, Andy Giddings for 15, Doane Perry for the past 23.

I bow to your far greater Tull knowledge, but that isn't strictly true is it?  Although the members have been in the band for that long there have been times (for Doane certainly and also for the others as well I think) when they have been OUT as well as IN?  No?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:29:01 PM »

Having seen the listing and then heard the album, as a lifetime Tull fan I can only say that this album is a colossal waste of time and money for any fan. Is it contract fulfillment time or what?

Pointless and made even more so by taking some acoustic bits from non-acoustic albums like "Thick As A Brick".

Don't buy this, please. One re-recording and a live performance? Never going to be worth the money.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

I'm very curious about pastime with good company. It is a great track. How is that version? The set list is not that bad, I just own all of them already. But for a acousticy collection, this is not bad.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »

Angry Sad Huh

I bow to your far greater Tull knowledge, but that isn't strictly true is it?  Although the members have been in the band for that long there have been times (for Doane certainly and also for the others as well I think) when they have been OUT as well as IN?  No?
Yeah man in the absolutely strictest sense no, there was the time on what I believe to be one of their greatest tours, Light and Dark in 92 when Dave Mattacks gave the Tull, to put it mildly, a formidable rhythm section with his friend Dave, forget what the deal was with Doane on that tour, other than like Dave M he is a highly sought after player and maybe had his schedule booked, can't recall. Also the great Roots to Branches had Steve Bailey on bass for some or alot of the tracks, Dave's on some of it, this was when he was in the midst of leaving, and to me, incredibly, he did not like the record, but there again, I don't much like James Taylor, or dislike him, and i don't doubt he's a great talent and a good guy, just can't hear it, and Dave P loves him along with millions of others. And Catfish had some non member keyboard players on there directly before Andy joined, Maart was in the band at the time, although playing an instrument, keyboards, that was not his first calling, maybe he was busy with Fairport or his own stuff, can't recall. For nostalgic reasons as much as musical maybe this most recent unit has not been my favorite on the one hand, on the other they have been the co-authors of the most uninterrupted period of quality in Tull's career, if way short of their most popular, a string that extends from Roots in 95, and nearly including Ian's Divinities, very good, not quite excellent to now and including Ian's more recent solo albums. As great as the sixties and seventies were for the band and as irreplacable as Jeffrey and John Evan in particular to the band's character, (after all these were teenage buddies who kind of thought this unique thing up along with Ian, particularly their humor) I feel although all of the Tull album's have at bare minimum one excellent track some of the legendary album's from the seventies are less than excellent, specifically Benefit, LITP, Bursting Out, Minstrel and Heavy Horses, and Passion Play, very good is not excellent. Though I have most of these on remaster haven't had a chance to really listen front to back to any of them, although I can tell Bursting Out is notably improved.

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

Shocked Huh Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: