TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:40:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some 'what iffery'....after Full House...  (Read 9611 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« on: April 20, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

A bit of mindless meandering for a Sunny Friday afternoon...

I believe that if RT had not left Fairport after Full House, then the next record would have been an absolute stormer. I reckon it would probably have contained:

Bonny Bunch of Roses
Journeyman's Grace
Sickness and Diseases
General Taylor
Staines Morris(?)
Battle of the Somme(?)

Plus (possibly) other RT compositions. Whilst these songs have surfaced elsewhere over the years, the sheer omph of this line up at this time would have made a truly amazing record. Still, live and session recordings exist, which is something!

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers

Adam
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:55:02 PM »

A bit of mindless meandering for a Sunny Friday afternoon...

I believe that if RT had not left Fairport after Full House, then the next record would have been an absolute stormer. I reckon it would probably have contained:

Bonny Bunch of Roses
Journeyman's Grace
Sickness and Diseases
General Taylor
Staines Morris(?)
Battle of the Somme(?)

Plus (possibly) other RT compositions. Whilst these songs have surfaced elsewhere over the years, the sheer omph of this line up at this time would have made a truly amazing record. Still, live and session recordings exist, which is something!

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers

Adam

I couldn't agree more, Adam.  In fact I'm really surprised that the Full House line-up didn't manage a second album towards the end of 1970 - I guess they were touring too hard to find the studio time.

You can add to that list:-

Now Be Thankful
Sir B McKenzie's.....
Banks Of The Sweet Primroses

Put those together with your suggestions and that's one hell of a great album that never was!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »

So what's wrong with Angel Delight?

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »

Nothing or that's another thread but in the land of what-if it came next or not at all.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:32 PM »

Nothing much - I love it.  But I prefer the versions of Journeyman's Grace, Sickness & Diseases and Banks of the Sweet Primroses that they were doing with RT before he left.  When you've heard those you really notice RT's absence on Angel Delight.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »

i have a feeling that "poor will" would also have made the cut on the 2nd full house line ups lp

angel delight - theres not enough of it about these days - yummy

The Dude abides
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »

i have a feeling that "poor will" would also have made the cut on the 2nd full house line ups lp
angel delight - theres not enough of it about these days - yummy

Always preferred instant whip mmm butterscotch!

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Dr Monk

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »

As poor will didn't make the cut first time round, and Now be Thankful and Sir B McKenzies had already been recorded but were not chosen for Full House, its hard to think that they would have made a second FH line-up album.

The most frustrating and yet tantalising thing about imagining the 'what if' scenario is that we just don't know where the music would have gone next if RT had stayed - but that it would have probably have been very good.

As it goes I reckon we got the best two for the price of one deal out - some great subsequent music from Fairport and a rich vein of material coming from RT - all of whom worked together again in various guises.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

As poor will didn't make the cut first time round, and Now be Thankful and Sir B McKenzies had already been recorded but were not chosen for Full House, its hard to think that they would have made a second FH line-up album.

Now Be Thankful and Sir B were recorded after the Full House sessions.  It's not that they weren't chosen - there's no way they'd have left Full House so short after rejecting Poor Will if they had Now Be Thankful in the can.  The tracks were recorded for a single, and Fairport could have easily added the single sides to the next album - not an uncommon practice.

Jules

Dr Monk

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »

My mistake - I had thought that Now be Thankful was recorded before FH and didn't bother to check Embarrassed had always wondered why it wasn't on FH as it's one of my favourites.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: