TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 09, 2021, 07:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daisy Chapman -- Aberdeenshire singer  (Read 2128 times)
Hester
shovelling the walk

"too ill to post"

« on: February 12, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »

The recent post on the Aberdeen music scene reminded me to mention the recordings of the late traditional ballad singer from Aberdeenshire, Daisy Chapman.  As a middle-aged widow in the 60s, this a capella singer began to perform in folk clubs and at festivals, and some of these performances were recorded and have been issued on a CD called Ythanside by Musical Traditions.  Here are the liner notes:

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/chapman.htm

... and here's where you can order the CD:

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/records.htm

[Select "MT CDs" from the "choose a catalogue" box, then scroll down near the bottom of the page to find the Daisy Chapman CD.  Lots of other interesting trad. folk recordings availabe from that page as well.]

Daisy's vocal style is very traditional.  Her high, clear, slightly quavery voice may even seem a bit shrill to some.  The CD may be less "easy listening" and more "source material".  You might think of her as a female lace-curtain answer to Jimmy MacBeath.

I'm thrilled to have these recordings.  My maternal grandmother's parents came from Aberdeenshire, and I've traced those branches of the family back to the 18th & 19th centuries.  They were predominantly farm servants, tradespeople, and later, factory workers.  I like to think they would have known many of these songs.  And although my family has never been really "musical", my grandmother loved to sing carols at Xmas.  Her voice wasn't very strong, but her style was not unlike Daisy Chapman's.

I've even seen the river Ythan, and two of the farms on either side of it where one pair of my great-great-grandparents worked as farm servants before meeting (probably at the kirk in Logie Buchan) and marrying in 1863 (exactly a century before my birth).  I wonder if they knew the love ballad "Ythanside"?

Cheers, Hester

"And I'll not say a word,
We do the best we can..."
    ~ James Yorkston, "Summer Song"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: