TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 27, 2021, 07:28:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddi Reader on tour  (Read 1828 times)
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »

We went to see Eddi at the Stables in MK last night - excellent venue for those who haven't been before, btw.

The band played most of the new album, and I'm thrilled that she's continued with her Burns project, or in her case, definitely a labour of love.  When she sings the Burns songs I just sit there with a big daft grin on my face and tears in my eyes - to use her own words, it's perfect.

Highlights from the new material were Baron's Heir, Mary and the Soldier, the Shepherd's Song (Eddi's words to THAT tune from Songs of the Auvergne), Safe as Houses, Galileo, Should I Pray, and a very bold interpretation of Burns' Banks and Braes.  Peacetime, the title track which is by her long-time collaborator and sidesman Boo Hewerdine just didn't work for me, could have been the mix on the night.

She also did Lucky Penny and Hallelujah and finished with Willie Stewart and I didn't want it to end.  Good value too - onstage for more than two hours without a break.  Great band - Boo and Ian Carr on guitar, John McCusker on fiddle, mandola and whistle, Kevin Maguire on double bass, Alan Kelly on accordion and Roy Dodds from Fairground Attraction on percussion. It's early in the tour and they took a couple of numbers to warm up but they were flying after that.

Support is a young man frae Glesca, Roddy Hart, and well worth coming in early for - a Scottish Ron Sexsmith with strong simple imagery, played on piano and guitar.

All in all a terrific evening and I urge you to get along if you can.  She's one of the most genuine and generous souls on the scene and it comes across with every note.  I'm hopelessly biased, of course, but there you go...

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: