TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 28, 2021, 06:12:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Lake Swimmers  (Read 2572 times)
Hester
shovelling the walk

"too ill to post"

« on: February 03, 2007, 05:35:13 PM »

For those who like hushed, shimmering, contemporary folk music, you'll love The Great Lake Swimmers (basically singer-songwriter Tony Dekker and friends), who've recorded their spare acoustic magic in the unusual but atmospheric settings of an abandoned grain silo and a small lakeside church:

http://www.myspace.com/greatlakeswimmers

... Dekker's voice soothes me far more effectively than anti-anxiety meds.

Saw them live at the church of St. George the Martyr in Toronto a couple years ago.  Fabulous!

[I may be pagan, but I seem to go to 'church' a lot these days -- for concerts, folk dancing, etc.  We're a pretty secular lot here in Canada, so the churches are becoming de facto community centres, concert halls, and recording studios, just to pay the 'rent' (well, taxes & utilities, really).  Saw Jeff Tweedy play solo at Trinity-St. Paul United Church a few years ago.  He seemed to be somewhat bemused by his surroundings, and got a bit flustered anytime he happened to swear, because he realized he was doing so "in church".]

Cheers, Hester

"And I'll not say a word,
We do the best we can..."
    ~ James Yorkston, "Summer Song"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: