TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160537 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »

Countdown to Cropredy starts now Smiley

Surely the Countdown to Cropredy starts the second Sunday in August doesn't it?   Wink

Thanks for the review - I'm considering a quick dash down to Preston on Friday night...assuming tickets aren't a problem...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »

St Albans:

MoF has pretty much summed it up (he and Mrs MoF were sitting right behind us, so it was good to meet them). I'm still unsure about some of the new material, but have now bought SoO, so will be listening to that over the next few days to see if it grows on me. Best Wishes is confirmed in my mind as a lovely song, and is definitely one which R and I will be adding to our repertoire (though with only two voices we won't be able to deliver the whole harmony effect).

The addition of Beth to WKWTTG was just magic - in fact the girls were on good form throughout; this was Kat's "home gig" - as she said, ten years ago she was in the audience here for her first FC gig!

The lads seemed to be in very good spirits throughout, and this was confirmed in conversation with each of them after the performance. Had a good laugh with Peggy, when I pointed out that I was particularly looking forward to his Birthday Bash as I'm only seven weeks younger than him - he took a good look at my luxuriant curly locks and said: "We weren't born in the same year, surely?" - sad but true; I think he got the talent and I got the hair.

DC
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »

I'm allowed to say now, as it's Mrs Keith's birthday, that we are going to the ICA, in London, on Saturday. Standing only - so should be good for tall people.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »

You're not trying to take the children are you keith.. I've heard that they won't allow children there!!  Angry Angry

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »

A lot of clubs don't, Jen.....

Can't really add to what Malcolm & Clive added above, except to say that Beth's verse in WKWTTG is simply superb for someone so young! Well done to Beth - and she's going to be oh, so bored when she goes back to her GCSEs next week.....

They came on during Tam Lin & did their dance again too. Good to meet Clive, qwho I recognised, and Malcolm, who collared me!

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »

The chilrden in question are not little ones though...  but I suppose they weren't to know that...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2007, 05:51:38 PM »

Nor was I......

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »

Chipping Norton: Looks like we meet at The Chequers.

Peggy's glow: Maybe something unfortunate had happened to his volume meter shirt. Wearable electronics might have its down side.

He didn't have it on Adrian - I think he had a Swarbaid t-shirt on but difficult to tell from that distance.

Shame coz I'd have liked to have seen the volume meter one in action - Gower Flower tells me it's fab!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »

No kids Amyjen, they're having fun with their cousins. We shall be drinking lots of wine.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »

I had no idea that the Insitute for Contemporary Arts was a club Undecided
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »

Just to quickly add my 2p to the St Albans review.

UTTERLY AMAZING!!  We all went home very happy bunnies.

Haven't seen the Chaps visibly enjoying themselves quite this much for a few tours.  Especially Peggy.  I think TTL have certainly lifted the spirits.  And perhaps the whole 40th anniversary thing.

TTL were great, especially that there young Beth - both in their set and WKWTTG.  Spontaneous applause at the beginning and end of her verse.  Truly fab and brought that song to life for me, that's for certain.  Very much enjoyed the Tiny Tam Lin(e) dance too.  A good giggle.

A mention in dispatches for Chris' whistle(s).  The blue anodised one is lovely.  He told me what it was, but I've forgotten.  Not an Overton, the other one that took over from him (not Kerry/Chieftain either).  Lovely blue anodising!!  And a great tone too.  The tin whistle was just a fairly ordinary one, but really added to the end of Polly on the Shore.

Got my tour t-shirt signed by the Chaps, as I had the album signed at the launch.  Will have to not wear it until Cropredy now.

A word of warning for anyone planning to get a t-shirt from now on in - they only have Large ones left, in the short-sleeve variety!!  Demand has seriously outstripped supply this time round!  Be prepared for a scrum at the last few gigs of the tour!  Could become a collectors' item...  Especially a signed one Wink

Anyway, it's a silly time of night to be still sat at my desk, so I'll stop now.

Just one last thing - If you haven't got a seat on this tour, SORT IT OUT!!!  You'll regret missing it, I promise!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
parkwood
torn away from morris men

Loc: Glasgow, UK

« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:39 PM »

That's a Colin Goldie Overton whistle Anna. Colin actually used to live in St Albans, but now is in Germany. Bernard Overton still produces whistles in the UK too.

I thought I'd mention this as there is a lot of confusion regarding this
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whatamess.html

Aside from this there are fakes being made in India and there's lots of controversy surrounding a very famous whistle/pipe player! The forum at Chiff & Fipple is essential if you're into whistles!

Barry

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

I had no idea that the Insitute for Contemporary Arts was a club Undecided

I don't think it's the fault of the ICA Angela, Roots & Shoots is a music club that just happen to use the  ICA for their events.
Having said that I suppose there are age restrictions on many of the films shown at the ICA too.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2007, 10:14:58 PM »

Veering off-topic a bit, but I pray indulgence...

Thanks for the info Parkwood.  That tallies with the little snippets of history I've gleaned across a few years.  I ran into Phil Hardy at the St Albans Folk club a couple of times and my, he's a character.  Obviously his version of that history is very slightly differnt to the one on that website, but not in any material way if you know what I mean.  His whistles are good, and some models have the advantage of being tunable.  Wouldn't help my Overton though - it's not even in tune with itself (so much for the advantages of hand-making instruments) and that stretch!!  I just can't get over the stretch on the Overton to the low D hole and while it does make a lovely sound I just don't play it because I can't make it sound good with all the missed notes.  Hey ho.  It's nice to hear a (closely) related instrument being played very nicely.

Saying that, I dug it out earlier this evening and played a couple of slow airs on it; I guess I could work on it.  Better get practicing my hornpipes and jigs & reels, challenge himself to a playoff at Croppers!!  (NOT!)  Think I'll stick to the Concert Flute in C - it's tunable, chromatic and the holes aren't nine miles apart!

OK, back to the topic... (I'm off to find this whistle forum...)

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
parkwood
torn away from morris men

Loc: Glasgow, UK

« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2007, 11:31:50 PM »

I have a short stretch, tuneable model from Colin! The intonation is spot on and you can chose the tonal qualities/breath requirements when you order. The low F I have is even nicer (check out my Myspace).

It's interesting that Chris is playing more whistles. Does anybody remember the guy who played low whistle with Vikki Clayton?

Magic Fingers

« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:05 PM »

It's interesting that Chris is playing more whistles. Does anybody remember the guy who played low whistle with Vikki Clayton?

Might that be Chris Conway?

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2007, 12:52:58 AM »

Huddersfield-7th March 2007. Just got back from tonight's show at the super,many-balconied Lawrence Batley Theatre with Tracey Thorn's excellent new record for company.Another great show-even better,if anything,than The Winding Wheel a fortnight ago.TTL are getting better and better.Nice to see and hear Kat for the first time.In My Room was great as were Requiem and the closing Darling.I'm really hoping they go out on their own soon-It'd be great to see a full-length set.Other than Simon's washed and slippery fingers at the very start of Widow,Fairport didn't put a foot,or finger,wrong all night.Rather than run through the whole set again,I'll detail a few personal highlights-Ric's solo riffs on Wait for the Tide to Come In were,well,dirty.It seems he's fallen back in love with some of his weirder fx pedals and good luck to him.Whilst Chris' Low Whistle intro to Polly was great,it was his Tin Whistle counterpoint to the closing section that really stood out.Maybe it was something to do with being sat next to the stage left PA speakers! His singing throughout was great,too-particularly on Wait for the Tide and South Dakota-no mean feat after such a long tour.Beth's singing on WKWTTG was beautiful,too-glad I got to hear this.Let's hope there's a TTL presence on the Sat night at Cropredy.With a brief burst of Stairway To Heaven(in Am!) Simon led the band into a great guitar heavy-Hawkswood's Army and then a superb Matty with devil-horn sighs from Helen and Peggy givin' it some Gene Simmons at the end! What an ace show! Have Fairport considered making some soundboard Cd's or downloads available from this tour? I know we've just had Off The Desk but,as a lot of bands are starting to do,it'd be great to get hold of a decent version of this whole set.Rob? I guess they'll be a few tears and a lot of hugs on Sunday when the tour winds up.At least Beth has the Easter hols to look forward to! The rest of us can look ahead five months to Cropredy.Hoping to hear the album's unsung hero-Chris' Spring Song and maybe Farmboy's Wages there along with the others.Hope you all enjoy the last few shows!
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2007, 07:43:41 AM »

Might that be Chris Conway?

Almost certainly.  He frequently plays two at once Shocked

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2007, 08:03:59 AM »

We were gong to give the Wintour a miss and hold out until Crop but,as a result of the reviews on the board, gave in and went to Huddersfield last night and aren't we glad we did. Missed most of TTL due to disastrous navigaton (mine) so can't really comment but Fairport were great. As usual the new tracks sounded much better live. Loved 'Untouchable', Edge of the World' and 'Hawkswood's Army' in particular. My youngest came out buzzing and saying that the only thing wrong was that you couldn't dance sat down! She was particularly impressed with Simon on the electric, compared a riff to Metallica Shocked but said Simon's was much better Grin Who says kids these days have no taste. All in all a great night. Good to see Amy and Puggs there, Good seats Amy? Roll Eyes

rachel
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »

Shame coz I'd have liked to have seen the volume meter one in action - Gower Flower tells me it's fab!

Some details of the electronic shirt: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/8a5b/ Aparently made in Europe somewhere. It works, but was somewhat overwhelmed by the stage lighting at times.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: