TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 159359 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »

Hmmmm - thought so.....

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

Indeed, leave us a surprise!

It's unlikely we'll get as far as St Albans without someone giving the game away though...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »

Great shot of Steve Ashley & Chris Leslie - two Thoroughly Good Eggs.

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »

was unsure wether or post this in here or in TUT.  Managed to drag my sorry a**e over to Brum o n Saturady to get a ticket for the gig.  managed to bag one a front row seat in the stalls!!!!  Grin Grin Fez(Smug git? me?.............never! Grin)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »

was unsure wether or post this in here or in TUT.  Managed to drag my sorry a**e over to Brum o n Saturady to get a ticket for the gig.  managed to bag one a front row seat in the stalls!!!!  Grin Grin Fez(Smug git? me?.............never! Grin)

Well, there's a pair on ebay currently sitting there at 99p with no bidders...  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

Four nights in to the tour and the band are working up a head of steam, after the few inevitable technical problems at the outset in Tewkesbury. The following night in the intimate club-like atmosphere of the Brook in Southampton, there was a great vibe and you could sense the guys were coming to terms with the new songs and the refreshed arrangements of standards.
Then it was on to the Basingstoke Anvil, this venue is always a firm favourite for the band with it's beautiful acoustics. The chaps were still a little tentative but it was clear their confidence in the new material was steadily growing. The audience in excess of six hundred included Tetsu from Tokyo, who had jetted in especially for this show. After the performance long queues formed in the foyer as fans waited patiently to chat with and have shiny new Sense of Occasion Cd's signed by their hero's.
Sunday night's Dorking Halls gig was in my view the best yet, there was an assured air about the chaps as they went about their business. They are now reasonably comfortable with the set and are steadily going up through the gears, not quite in overdrive yet but the smiles on their faces as they walked off stage at the end of proceedings said it all, FC are firmly back in the groove.

The set gets under way in traditional style with two firm favourites Widow of Westmorland & Sir Pat. then the first new tune as CL sings the self penned opening track off the new CD. Keep on Turning the Wheel, a song centered around his fond memories of the iconic VW camper van and the swinging sixties. Mad Mick is followed by PJ Wrights song Galileo's Apology, then Wait for the Tide and Polly on the Shore before the first half is brought to a close with Ric's new tune The Bowman's Return, a celebration of CL's first 10 years in the band.
The second half opens with Tam Lin which has been revisited on the new album with a new arrangement, then Ric gives us his hauntingly beautiful new composition Your Heart and Mine. CL then sings FC's version of Glenn Tilbrook's hit song Untouchable before singing another of his new songs South Dakota to Manchester, GC makes the most of this opportunity to really let fly with some wonderful rhythmic drumming. Then SN sings a tremendous version of the Deserter followed by CL's Edge of the World. SN then slows the tempo right down with Who Knows, before blowing everyones socks off with Pete Scowther's Hawkswood Army
The set closes in time honoured fashion with Matty and Rutland Reel, look out for GC's hilarious antics as the rest of the band wait for the finishing flourish.
For the encore there is a slight change in tradition, firstly there is a fabulous four part harmony, singing the Steve Ashley composition Best Wishes (no I'm not going to tell you who sings the fourth part) wait and see for yourselves. the evening is closed with the obligatory and heartily sung MOTL, it brings a lump to the throat of yours truly every time.

Finally a word or two about Tiny Tin Lady, clearly nervous at the start of the tour but they too are learning quickly and growing in confidence. Their songs are good with some catchy tunes, mixing nice harmonies with some excellent guitar playing. They are quickly winning the audience over who readily warm to them. Oh! incidently they quite cheeky too but great fun to have around. They are certainly keeping the crew and band members alike on their toes.

pics; TTL's Helen, Beth & Danni about to walk on stage last night in Dorking.
       Gareth and Francis are once again managing the merch desk, seen here with Mick Peters the tour bus driver

[attachment deleted by admin]
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »

Superb review Martin. Thank you! Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »

Thanks Martin lovely review.

Which Deserter is it btw?

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »

The 'other' one from recently. Took me half the number to realise what it was, as they've rearranged it completely.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »

Thank you Martin.. can't wait for the Lincoln gig.. anyone else going??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »

Nice one Martin - thanks.  I've passed on your comments to TTL ..... as you will no doubt discover later tonight!!!!  Shocked Grin Wink

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 10:58:11 PM »

The band have a night off tonight, Peggy and Gez are at the folk awards in London. The youngest member of the TTL Beth, had to attend school today.
My pics are not great but in the absence of any other contributers, here is one of the TTL on stage

[attachment deleted by admin]
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:49 PM »

Hi Mike, The Deserter in question is the Traditional folk song, opening line "As I was a walking"  The version I have is on the Talking Elephant Cd "The Airing Cupboard Tapes 71-74" where it is performed by Swarb.
Not to be confused with the John Richards song on Simon's solo Cd "Before your Time" (Don't Despise the Deserter)
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »

Thanks, Martin for the review.
Watered my mouth - or is it ears in this case  Grin?

mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 09:20:33 AM »

Thanks Martin, obviously misunderstand Chris's reply then as it seemed to say it was the more recent one as in the one on Simons Cd. Glad its the other.

Looking forward to March 8th  Grin

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »

Apologies - I've re-read my earlier response.

'The one other than that heard recently' would've been better.

Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »

Hi Mike, The Deserter in question is the Traditional folk song, opening line "As I was a walking"  The version I have is on the Talking Elephant Cd "The Airing Cupboard Tapes 71-74" where it is performed by Swarb.
Not to be confused with the John Richards song on Simon's solo Cd "Before your Time" (Don't Despise the Deserter)

It's also on Liege and Lief, but are there any other FC versions? I can't find another on any of my CDs.
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »

It's also on Liege and Lief, but are there any other FC versions? I can't find another on any of my CDs.

Its on the following

25th Anniversary CD
Rareport Convention (disc 2) from the UnConventional box set
Airing Cupboard Tapes 71-74

The 'other' version as sung by Simon is on his solo album Before Your Time, Old New, Borrowed and Blue as well as XXXV

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »

Hi Mike, The Deserter in question is the Traditional folk song, opening line "As I was a walking"  

Faustus (Benji Kirkpatrick, Paul Sartin, Saul Rose) play this song and, confusingly for me at least, introduce it as "The New Deserter"  Does that help to clear things up? Undecided

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 04:54:21 AM »

Let me add my thanks, Martin, for the great review.   I can feel the vibes quite strongly way across the water in Brooklyn New York.  I wish I could be in the UK, "Land of the Wintour", RIGHT NOW!   But, real world being what it is, I'll have to be patient until 1 June at Bodles Opera House in Chester New York.  I already know I won't get to see Peggy, because he's got dates scheduled with PJ all through June.  So it will either be the Trio, or maybe Gerry will come along too this time?  But I'll be more than happy to see whoever does come!  Meanwhile, to my UK friends, I'm happy for your good fortune, ENJOY THE WINTOUR!

Cheers ///  Tom***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: