TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: northampton's 'Deco Theatre' to close!  (Read 10975 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:12 AM »

well i've just heard from a work colleague that the deco, the venue that took over from the roadmenders when that closed down last year, is also to close. leaving northampton without a rival theatre/venue.

'Curtains close on The Deco
The Deco theatre in Northampton has announced that it has closed its doors for the last time.'

is the headline on BBC Look Easts web site.
bugger. Undecided

it'll be fine.......
AnnieD
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »

Yes we saw that on the local news last night. Never been there but it looks a lovely place. Always a shame when a venue folds.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »

i've never been in it but the point is its left northampton venueless apart from the derngate theatre Sad

it'll be fine.......
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »

was the deco the one run by the jesus army who tried to pull the plug on the levellers gig because people started to stand up?
(northampton kind of died a good few years back really, in a gig sense anyway, i'm sure the clubs are still packed on a friday, sign of the times..) Sad

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »

that's the one babe, but it says that the jesus army centre will not be affected and that anyone who has tickets for shows before 2nd may 'should' get their money back (minus the bookin fee) in 14 days.

it'll be fine.......
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:51:52 PM »

But the Roadmender has risen from the ashes.....

david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »

But the Roadmender has risen from the ashes.....

We went to see Ralph there in November and it was full.  Great venue and it's a great shame, but I never thought Northampton could sustain both the Deco and the reopened Royal/Derngate complex - and even that's in financial trouble apparently.

BTW, in addition to the excellent Roadmender, there's also Northampton Folk Club at the Old Black Lion, near the station, known as the Great Knight Folk Club.  Nice room and a listening audience - I did support there last year and enjoyed it.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »

Surprised and saddened by this news; only went there once, last year, to see Richard Thompson, and was impressed by the place (but not impressed by the long drive back to Norfolk late at night!). Met Nuthouse and son in the bar. Also impressed by that pub down the road that Nuthouse had recommended. As for the town- well, not sure I'd want to live there!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:38 PM »

Always sad to hear of the demise of any music/arts venue. Way too far for me, but it is a loss nonetheless.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »

what is the "jesus army" when theyre at home?
i do hope it isnt what it sounds like

The Dude abides
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:32:08 AM »

i'm no authority jim, but alas, i fear it is kind of what it sounds like. but not an army.
that was clear wasnt it!!

it'll be fine.......
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:11:11 PM »

I think that the Deco failed make best use the opportunity presented during the Derngate refit; the gigs put on and the ticket pricing just wasn't going to win hearts and minds.

I have often wondered why no-one in the Northampton area does anything to compete with the Stables.

The Stables is a lovely venue but it is quite expensive (though you get what you pay for in terms of comfort) but more that that, it is impossible to get to without private transport.

The Roadmender, in it's previous incarnation, had people like Martin Taylor, Ernest Ranglin and Courtney Pine play and they drew good crowds but, as far as I can see, little was done to encourage a regular audience for such gigs which, after all, tend to attract an older audience into a town centre venue who very well like a drink or two. Speaking to someone who put on gigs at the Roadmender, more was made in one night of a well known Rock/Blues band than a month of 'club' nights with PFY drinking water !

The Great Knight puts on some great gigs but there is a place for something between that and the Derngate - hopefully 'new' Roadmender will deliver.

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »

i'm no authority jim, but alas, i fear it is kind of what it sounds like. but not an army.

Occasionally militant happy-clappy soldiers for Jesus.  Made me a bit uneasy on the occasions we went there but it was unobtrusive.

- STILL MY CITY
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »

Occasionally militant happy-clappy soldiers for Jesus.  Made me a bit uneasy on the occasions we went there but it was unobtrusive.

BTW, no offence intended, but it has absolutely no appeal to me at any level.

- STILL MY CITY
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »

Certainly on the fringe of mainstream Christianity the Jesus Army is often regarded as having certain "cultish" elements about it, most noticably the encouragement of members to live communally and discouraging relationships from outside the church membership. As a practising Christian I would echo, your comment about being a bit uneasy.

http://www.jesusarmywatch.org.uk/      demonstrates concerns
http://www.jesus.org.uk/                     is the Jesus army site

Make up your own mind if you're interested.

Jackdaw
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 04:54:55 PM »

I think that the Deco failed make best use the opportunity presented during the Derngate refit; the gigs put on and the ticket pricing just wasn't going to win hearts and minds.

I have often wondered why no-one in the Northampton area does anything to compete with the Stables.

The Stables is a lovely venue but it is quite expensive (though you get what you pay for in terms of comfort) but more that that, it is impossible to get to without private transport.

The Roadmender, in it's previous incarnation, had people like Martin Taylor, Ernest Ranglin and Courtney Pine play and they drew good crowds but, as far as I can see, little was done to encourage a regular audience for such gigs which, after all, tend to attract an older audience into a town centre venue who very well like a drink or two. Speaking to someone who put on gigs at the Roadmender, more was made in one night of a well known Rock/Blues band than a month of 'club' nights with PFY drinking water !

The Great Knight puts on some great gigs but there is a place for something between that and the Derngate - hopefully 'new' Roadmender will deliver.

If you're out of town and not on a railway line Northampton is only accessible by car, and the Deco had quite the most confusing and unfriendly car parking arrangements I've ever seen at a gig.  And it's in an iffy part of Northampton too - both the 'Mender and the Great Knight are in more salubrious parts.

The Stables is a really good venue these days, but it wasn't always thus.  And yes, it is expensive - marginally but consistently pricier than the Corn Exchange in Cambridge.

Let's hope that the new Roadmender can deliver.  Not hopeful that the Derngate can or will step into the breach - their gigs are very MoR.

- STILL MY CITY
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:30:28 PM »

Not hopeful that the Derngate can or will step into the breach - their gigs are very MoR.

I agree and this gives alternative venues a clear run at our pockets/calendars/affections...

Courtney Pine lined up for the Roadmender again I see

When he played Roadmender before he was awesome - we saw him a short while later in the Derngate and it was a shadow of the Roadmender gig. Perhaps it is no surprise that the better gig was in a club-by, more intimate setting

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »

Certainly on the fringe of mainstream Christianity the Jesus Army is often regarded as having certain "cultish" elements about it, most noticably the encouragement of members to live communally and discouraging relationships from outside the church membership. As a practising Christian I would echo, your comment about being a bit uneasy.

http://www.jesusarmywatch.org.uk/      demonstrates concerns
http://www.jesus.org.uk/                     is the Jesus army site

Make up your own mind if you're interested.

Jackdaw

a bunch of sad wierdos

The Dude abides
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »

This is a great shame - saw RT there last year, and thought the venue was great. Would gladly have gone back there if anyone I wanted to see was appearing there.

Hadn't picked up the religious overtones, but did feel a bit vulnerable waiting outside for a cab to take us back to the hotel (no drinking & driving for me).

DC
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 12:10:49 PM »

This is a great shame - saw RT there last year, and thought the venue was great. Would gladly have gone back there if anyone I wanted to see was appearing there.

Hadn't picked up the religious overtones, but did feel a bit vulnerable waiting outside for a cab to take us back to the hotel (no drinking & driving for me).

DC

Are the taxi drivers really that frightening in Northampton?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: