TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:51:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sense of Occasion  (Read 206741 times)
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2007, 04:36:45 PM »

I think the Spring Song is beautifull, the words just magical, summing up eloquently the coming of spring. The de-deing at the end I think is quite a clever way of bringing in the Princess Royal tune, which is a well known Morris tune and danced to in many May Day ceremonies. There's a version of Princess Royal on Morris On.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »

I'd go anywhere for a David Hughes snog.

Fascinating as the thought of Cocker and Mr Hughes snogging away is, it may be too exciting, enticing or arousing for the usual denizens of the Fairport section who may want to talk about that dreadful distraction music.This as we know just gets in the way of all the fun.

Adrian has a thread in announce were we can all enjoy the delightful anticipation of the Freeman/Hughes snogathon 2007 in an appropriate and safe place.

He is a wonderful snogsmith you know.

You can find it her:  http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=20415.0

Have fun everyone.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #362 on: February 17, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »

Bought SOO last night. So impressed with Hawkwood's Army! Brilliant live, such drive and Fairport-like for me! Sounds good loud on the pc drive this morn!  Grin Really good song, very strong, that's the sort of stuff I like to hear Fairport do!

Also really like Chris singing The Vision which softly follows the above!

Would be very interested in hearing Pegg and PJ doing Galileo's Apology, so will check this out!  Grin

Your Heart and Mine sounds similar to The Rose Hip I think, love it though, thanks Ric!  Smiley

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »

For me, there’s plenty of emotional engagement and connections made, musical or otherwise (ho hum).  I love it, love it, love it!  Looking forward to hearing some of it live at a winter tour gig; plus other favourites.

Apologies for dragging this up and for quoting myself, but it seems I may have created the wrong impression with my ‘ho hum’ comment. Undecided  I did not mean to imply that the journey connections on the album were dull (how could anyone say that?) but rather, my keep harping on about them was.  I’ll get my anorak, shall I?   Embarrassed

I like the dee-dee-deeing in Princess Royal.  It’s light and cheerful and communicates perfectly the feelings you get when you walk out on a spring day.  Smiley  Dee-de-dee-dee-dee, dee-de-dee-dee-dee …
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »

I`ve been plucking up courage to say this . I`m with MarkV  on this one . I `ve played it many times  now .--- I really want to like it but --- .
Sorry folks -I find it --Dull and Uninspiring .
I`ll get my coat  Tongue Fez

You are what you eat !!!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #365 on: February 18, 2007, 10:20:20 AM »

You can go off people you know PB.. but then you knew I'd say that didn't you.... Lips Sealed

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »

EVeryone is entitled to like or not like it, I reckon. Tastes are different....

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2007, 12:52:02 PM »

Not all of it is dull, and I did not say that it was dull myself, just someone amending my post in their quote. Roll Eyes

However it is less inspiring to me personally than other albums.  But I do want to hear the tracks live.

Taste are different and changeable.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »

Not all of it is dull, and I did not say that it was dull myself, just someone amending my post in their quote. Roll Eyes

However it is less inspiring to me personally than other albums.  But I do want to hear the tracks live.

Taste are different and changeable.

My opinion's certainly changed after seeing the tracks live!
Although luckily they played the tracks live that I thought were strongest on the album.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #369 on: February 18, 2007, 02:48:46 PM »

Guilty as charged I'm afraid. It was me that utilised your format to insert my own comments. Sorry if this has caused any problems but my opinion on SOO remains the same and following numerous listens to try and like it, I would add disappointment to my feelings towards the album.

Cheers Nigel
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #370 on: February 18, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »

this is all very interesting.  I very much enjoyed what I heard at Canterbury, and thought that this could be the stongest album for some time ..... but I get the impression that the album itself might not come up to those expectations.  I shall have to hear it before I buy, methinks ...

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »

I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and the expression of their personal taste.

My post wasn't as a result of an opinion here, but someone much closer to home!  I thought it best to clarify.

My comment, 'who could say it's dull' was careless.  I certainly did not intend any offence.  Sorry everybody.  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »

I think "dull" is probably a bit strong, notwithstanding whether anybody actually said it was or not! Some of it has grown on me in the nearly two weeks since I got the album and I find myself humming it even when I am not listening to the disc. But I think it is fair to say that it is not the most consistent collection, even of the band's relatively recent career and there are tracks that drift by somewhat anonymously without really permeating one's consciousness. In a landmark year I think perhaps we were hoping for something great and that is perhaps an unreasonable expectation. Sorry chaps.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

I love this album and find all but one of the songs a real pleasure to listen to.

I couldn't possibly have made up my mind after only a single hearing, but after many and two live shows I think it's truly fab.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »

Every day I trek to the mail box to see if it's arrived, no sign yet.  Cry

I'm going to try a new tactic when I listen inspired by my younger friends who insist that the more recent incarnation are preferable to the  older versions, I'm going to pretend it is an album by a band I've never heard before.

We'll see how it goes but until the US postal service do there bit it will be awhile.

This album does however seem to have split the vote more than others.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »

Bah Humbug - have not got a copy yet.

I try and support my local Independant, but he has not recieved it yet.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
robbo

« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »

Mine arrived at the weekend and its not been off the turntable. Oops, does that give my age away! Overall I like it. Its taken a few listenings but then it usually does but most of the album has grown on me. Still not sure about Tam Lin. For me the difference between Simon's and Chris's voices is just a bit too marked on this one. The opening number is OK but no more and for me they should have had a punchier number up front.

Otherwise its very good. Hawkswood army is excellent and Gallileo's Apology is a fine number. I think I could well be buying PJ and Peggy's new one on the strength of comments here and this song.

Chris's writing fits the band I think at this moment. I can understand why for some it is a bit light but he does paint a few pictures for me.

Can't wait for next Sunday when I hope the live versions will be as good as the reviews.

robbo

Hello
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #377 on: February 19, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »

Ok folks my take on SOO is..

The covers and rearrangements give it the impression of a CD I already know, it feels very familiar. Maybe Chris' songwriting has that effect as well, he has a very definite style. So as far as that goes I wasn't blown away by anything sounding really new. However, what I was really impressed with was the production quality and mix of the album. Absolutely top notch and a huge improvement on the last three or four FC offerings.

The instrumentals left me a bit cold - nothing really different there, but I do like Edge of the World as a song and Hawkwoods Army will make its way onto my FC rock-out compilation - reminded me a bit of Wat Tyler in its structure but a good song and none the worse for that. Best Wishes is great and has a sesne of Swarb's Last Waltz about it, a combination of melancholy and positivity.

One problem for me is that the opening track isn't one that hooks me into the album as a whole, I felt the same about Over the Next Hill and XXXV as well.

So, if asked for out of 10 I would nudge this up to a 7.5, and although it will probably get played well in the car I don't think its one I'll be putting on at home very much.

Jackdaw

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »

Ok folks my take on SOO is..

The covers and rearrangements give it the impression of a CD I already know, it feels very familiar.

I feel pretty much the same way about it, it's pleasant enough but like you've heard it all before somehow.
For me "Untouchable" stands out as a real good track a Squeeze type familiarity (did they do this song?) I like "In Our Town" and the reconstructed "Tam Lin" very much, Gallileo is well OK but "Bowmans Return" on the other hand is to my ears way, way OTT. (Ric's obvious liking for massive effects on the fiddle leaves me a bit cold)
The rest of the CD is nice, apparently the adjective favoured often by grumpy old men searching for bland positives - yep, that's me, it's more nice than dull. The artwork is rather surprising, very clever and well painted but certainly not in any way flattering. It sort of exudes a frumpy old geezers image, so opposite to the bands real life character/characters.

In comparison, for now, I prefer OTNH but this one needs a bit more playing yet and who knows, with some live tracks toi enjoy at The Winding Wheel on Thursday I might get to really like it.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #379 on: February 19, 2007, 01:47:20 PM »

For me "Untouchable" stands out as a real good track a Squeeze type familiarity (did they do this song?)

It's the opening track on Glenn's solo album Transatlantic Ping Pong

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: