TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in this sort of thing? (FC appearances on the BBC)  (Read 10018 times)
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« on: December 20, 2006, 10:55:29 AM »

ISTR Peggy saying that he'd like to release a DVD of the various TV appearances by FC and/or its members' other projects, but that actually tracking down material was problematic.

Just for the hell of it, here's a complete (as far as I can tell) list of all those of Simon's appearances on BBC television that still exist in the archives. The descriptions are from the BBC's programme database, so they can be a bit jargony. Would it be worth compiling a complete list of all this sort of thing, relating to all band members, with TX dates and programme numbers? It will probably interest some fans, and might even be of use in getting some of this material released in some way.

Old Grey Whistle Test (TX 11th January 1972, programme number LNF1438W) - ":`Time is Near'(2m27s/1m43s in) `Time is Near'(2m28s/15m36s in) `The Hanging song'(5m08s/7m52s in) `The Hanging song'(5m08s/18m07s in) Spool also incls other incomplete takes of both songs. NB:Drummer is wearing t-shirt with `Miming' written on it. Simon NICOL is playing guitar signed by Eric CLAPTON & others"

Six Fifty-Five Special (TX 9th August 1982, prog. no. A:NBME236T) - "Sally JAMES introduces entertainment programme featuring Fairport Convention & folk singer Martin CARTHY. She intvs Simon NICOL of Fairport Convention & Martin CARTHY.
FAIRPORT CONVENTION perform Walk Awhile (4m15s) & Dirty Linen (3m50s) FAIRPORT CONVENTION with Martin CARTHY perform Iron Lion (3m15s) & Meet On the Ledge (4m20s) MARTIN CARTHY performs Lovely Joan (2m35s)"

Six Fifty-Five (TX 4th August 1983, prog. no. B:NBMF305H) - "Sally JAMES & Barry MASON pres mag prog from the Pebble Mill courtyard. Guests are Fairport Convention, Demis ROUSSOS, Jimmy TARBUCK & Terry VENABLES.
ITEM 01: Fairport Convention: VT (8m50s): The folk group sing the tradition songs "The Royal Selection No 13" & "Adieu Adieu" & Sally intvs Simon NICOL of the group"

London Plus (TX 9th August 1985, prog. no. D:LCAR532N) - "Bernard Falk rep from Cropredy nr Banbury, where the annual Fairport Convention reunion concert is being held this year. ACTUALITY:ls village of Barford St Michael(14.46-14.50)ms horses run abt in field(-14.54)ms field(-14.57)ms weather vane(-15.0)vars ex members Fairport Convention practice for concert together(-15.36)ms Falk to cam zo ls concert site(16.40-17.20)ms men set up stage(-17.28)ls concert site(-17.33)vars helpers walk thru fields(-17.44)vars Harold WELLS drives tractor(17.59-18.19)vars group boy scouts briefed abt organising crowds at concert(18.30-18.50)vars ex members group inc Richard THOMPSON practice for concert(19.13-20.25) DUPE EX OGWT:11.1.72:Fairport Convention sing"The Hanging Song"(15.36-16.20) INTVS:Simon NICOL & Dave PEGG(Ex Group Members)Abt reunion get together every summer(6.20-16.40)Fortunate that still survive as professional in the music business(18.50-19.13) Johnny JONES:Stage Manager:Proud to still work for the band(17.44-17.59) Harold WELLS:Poacher & Fairport fan:Music is great(18.19-18.30)"

Gosling's Ganders (TX 8th May 1987, prog. no. RNWC737J) - "Ray GOSLING in a white taxi visits junctions off the M6 motorway (chosen randomly by a computer on board taxi) & talks about the places he visits.
JUNCTION 30: GOSLING visits Smithills Hall & tells story of Protestant preacher George MARSH & his footprint, watches Smithills Hall Trio playing (Bax BARKER, Simon NICOL & Ric SANDERS) (inc gvs ext Smithills Hall (24.55-28.11) EX LIB: Maddy PRIOR singing " Saboteur" (Photo Assignment tx'd 10.10.83, NMRD301H)(08.31-08.59)"

South Today (TX 18th January 1989, prog. no. D:RSRW803D) - "Sally TAYLOR intvs folk rock group "Fairport Convention" who performs in studio "Summer before the War" from their last album "Red & Gold"; INTV:Simon NICOL re success of the sixties & appeal to the younger generation Studio Performance of "Summer Before the War" on HSO6762 VT INSERT:Old Grey Whistle Test 1972 performance of the "Hanging Song" ."

There are three more appearances between 2003-2006, but they are in things like the BBC-4 documentary on RT, so they're pretty widely available.

And just for trivia's sake, the absolute oldest surviving FC-related programme in the BBC archive appears to be the following :

Once More With Felix (TX 16th December 1967, prog. no. LLV9285F) - "Julie FELIX hosts her own music show with guests including Spike MILLIGAN reading poems from his book Milliganimals and up-and-coming folk singers Martin CARTHY and Dave SWARBRICK. SONGS PERFORMED : Julie FELIX sings "The World Goes Round & Round" (dur 01m05s) "Dos Arbolitos" (dur 02m) Martin CARTHY & Dave SWARBRICK sings "Byker Hill" (dur 02m05s) Julie FELIX, Martin CARTHY & Dave SWARBRICK sing "Early Morning Rain" (dur 02m38s) Pedro SOLER performs "Alegria" (dur 04m) Julie FELIX sings "I Think It's Gonna Rain Today" (dur 02m23s) "Somewhere There's Gotta Be Me" (dur 02m05s)"

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »

Good idea, Danny. What is this BBC database you're quoting from? Is it something everyone can access?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 11:07:10 AM »

Yep - just go here : http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:45:18 AM »

There have been quite a few on other channels as well. I taped a couple of hour long Cropredy documentaries and theres "Time It Will Show..." Which was featured on the IACRA video.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »

Releasing tese on DVD has actually been looked into & the licencing fees were too high to provide any sort of return on sales.

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

It is still interesting to know what is out there though. Looking through the small list there must be so much more is the first thought that came to mind.

It is the bands business to decide if it is too expensive.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »

Oh, indeed, I wasn't suggesting that the list wasn't for posting, all I was saying is that this list has been known about for some time by various interested parties who were thinking about licencing it for release, but were persuaded not to by the cost per unit of product.

There was just no return for those interested.

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »

I think a DVD of all unreleased FC tv appearances would be wonderful. Hopefully, the costs can be justified, but it is also a labor of love. The clips should not fade away into obscurity. I would love to purchase one. Or even a multi volume set.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »

the list at the top of the page isnt exhaustive
what about the many Pebble mill at one appearances as FC also Swarbrick and Nicol
theres mountains of stuff out there somewhere

The Dude abides
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 06:45:43 AM »

The Pebble Mill tapes I think were all wiped....

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:19:34 AM »

by the beeb, maybe
but poor quality, home taped versions exist
there may be higher quality copies out there

The Dude abides
Simon Withers

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »

I think I may have Fairport on video - Pebble Mill at One performing 'London River' so at some point if the really good footage direct from the beeb has been lost then I think I have this at least.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: