TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me.....?  (Read 19526 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: October 03, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

Didn't know whether this would be best within the new record thread or on its own....

I really hate, loath and detest the idea of re-recording old songs on new records - seems really lazy and shows a complete lack of imagination. It's great when Fairport revive an old song live, and I'd be first in line to buy a live CD of the show, but seeing these songs appear on the next studio record sets my teeth on edge! Shocked Loved hearing Sir Patrick Spens and Tam Lin on last tour/Cropredy, but my heart sank when I heard they were on the new record.........

It's not as if old recordings are difficult to come by any more, and I think it is a very fine line between 're-imagining' (ghastly word!) and turning into a tribute band of yourself. I also hate film remakes (mostly rubbish, couple of exceptions) and to a lesser extent book reworkings (except Christopher Fowler, who is the literary equivalent (at least in my frazzled mind) to Richard Thompson both in subject matter and style).

Hope I'm not too grumpy sounding (it is only 7.30!), but to sum up - old songs live - YES PLEASE!, re-recorded - NO WAY!

Am I alone in this, or does anyone have any notable exceptions to change my mind....?

Cheers!

Adam
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:42:51 AM »

No, its not just yourself
i couldnt agree more
it makes it easier to fill a cd

The Dude abides
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »

Didn't know whether this would be best within the new record thread or on its own....
Hope I'm not too grumpy sounding

Never dear boy.... carry on regardless

Jack "No-one ever called me Curmudgeonly" O'Diamonds

NB there has been very little good music since 1971 (thought I'd stir that old pot of chestnuts again...)

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:15:12 AM »

I agree with you completely - lazy, andd a bit of an insult to the fans.

NB there has been very little good music since 1971 (thought I'd stir that old pot of chestnuts again...)

Rubbish!

Auteurs
Kraftwerk
Portishead
Bellowhead
Tim Van Eiken
Eliza Carthy
Springsteens new one
Neil Youngs best work

Rambles of in to the distance with a list of 180000 acts.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »

I agree with you completely - lazy, andd a bit of an insult to the fans.

Rubbish!

Auteurs
Kraftwerk
Portishead
Bellowhead
Tim Van Eiken
Eliza Carthy
Springsteens new one
Neil Youngs best work

No Sir Martin, whatever you do don't start Mr J O'D off again  Grin

As to revisiting old tracks on new CD's I feel a bit different to the others who have posted so far. Sure, there will be some which add nothing to the mix but Simon's version of Who Knows Where The Time Goes is wonderful, not a rehash of Sandy's version but an entity in its own right. Surely something like that deserves to be recorded.

Jackdaw
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:16:57 AM »

Yaaaaaaaawwwwwwwn.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

i think its greedy, and lazy, and there are completists out there who will buy it all regardless, and waste a lot of money.

BTW, JoD, PLW, is it me or is this a case of deja-vu?  Wink

it'll be fine.......
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:46:24 AM »

Rubbish!

Auteurs
Kraftwerk
Portishead
Bellowhead
Tim Van Eiken
Eliza Carthy
Springsteens new one
Neil Youngs best work

I am gonna have to agree with JoD on this one - although I may add a handful of years to his date of 1971. Its all very well naming your 180,000 acts, but they would be swamped 1000 fold by the amount of dross released in the same period.

Take two of your examples - Young and Springsteen. If we take out the albums they have made that are decent and put them in one pile, then compare it to the huge number of absolutely sh*te discs they have released over the same period - JoD has a point.

Wink

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:57:55 AM »

The beauty of a selective memory is that we remember the good bits from an era and forget the dross. The more time passes away from an era the more of the dross of that era we forget...

...or...

the more time passes the more opportunity we have to recognise the value of the music that perhaps we didn't see first time around...

...or...

the more time passes the more likely we are to sense nostalgia on hearing the dross of the time, thus turning it into something more rose tinted than we thought it was back then.

The past is better because our observations are poor, our recollections are selective and memories are rubbish.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:02:29 AM »

Ah yes, the great 1970's - "Jump Up And Down And Wave Your Knickers In The Air", Shawaddywaddy, Telly Savalas "sings" If...

Them were the good old days...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Mark
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »

Of course there was rubbish in the 70s as well......it was the heyday of the novelty single after all, but there seemed to be a great deal more 'original thinking' going on too.

I suppose that today's proliferation of music by non-traditional methods is a double edged sword. Yes, good music can reach the public more easily than the days of major record label control, but it also means that the tens of thousands of talentless (like myself) wannabee's (unlike myself) can also get their conributions out there!

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »

i think its greedy, and lazy, and there are completists out there who will buy it all regardless, and waste a lot of money.

It's like Groundhog Day.

No good music since 1971. Pah! Ears need to be opened.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:02 PM »

Lulu, Cilla Black, Ken Dodd...

The 60s were rubbish too.

But I agree with the premise of avoiding rehashes of old songs unless they are in a completely different style : for instance, listen to Wonderwall by Oasis, Mike Flowers Pops and Ryan Adams - all superb and different.

"New" versions of folk-rock songs which are still folk-rock is not good unless there is something unique about both versions; so I accept (and love) the versions of It Suits Me Well by both Swarb and Sandy. If Tam Lin is that different from the original then all well and good - but it isn't.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Mark
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »

That's not what JoD said.

Perhaps eyes need to be opened too?

PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »

That's not what JoD said.

Perhaps eyes need to be opened too?

All right then. Very little good music since 1971. Pah! Ears need to be opened.  Wink
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »

Being a late-comer to the world of i-pod I have been quite dissappointed to discover how much of my CD collection is duplicated/triplicated already: original version, live recording, bonus tracks... and I'm definately not into 'rarity' collecting!
How about saving it all for a 'Live Greatest Hits' from a special field in a special year? Wink
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 11:21:54 PM »

Of course there was rubbish in the 70s as well......it was the heyday of the novelty single after all, but there seemed to be a great deal more 'original thinking' going on too.

I suppose that today's proliferation of music by non-traditional methods is a double edged sword. Yes, good music can reach the public more easily than the days of major record label control, but it also means that the tens of thousands of talentless (like myself) wannabee's (unlike myself) can also get their conributions out there!

Much of the 60s was utter drivel.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »

Is it just me or were people so stoned out of there tree's that they didn't realise how much pretentious **** was around in the sixties and seventies, I know I have bought most of it since then!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »

Time perhaps for:
'Sturgeon's Revelation is an observation that once humans are exposed to excellence, mere average desirability is disappointing. The more proper formulation might be something like "80% of everything is crud, and 10% of everything is ****."' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law )
and:
'Only the good survives', which in the music world isn't is true as it used to be, giving Brendan the opportunity to listen to newly re-issued old ****.

And also:
"I've got that deja vu feeling all over again".

More seriously, I'm happy to hear an old song / tune done differently and better, annoyed to hear it differently and worse, and unhappy to hear it done near identically. In the case of the new CD, I'm hoping for lots of the first.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:20 AM »

It's like Groundhog Day.

i'm truly stuck in the 70's, musically, but we've bought a few new albums in the last 2 weeks, namely muse, razorlight, the kooks, the feeling and paulo nutini, and i can categorically state that they are all 'good', muse is 's**t hot' and the feeling is gonna be 'an all time fave'.

they will sit comfortably beside our tull and our zep, and close to our box set of beatles vinyl.
there's room for everything.
even half man half biscuit.

it'll be fine.......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: