TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 22, 2019, 09:45:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst guitar solos ever!!  (Read 26345 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 01:26:55 PM »

My nomination for 'worst guitar solo ever' would have to be a tie between anyone who ever recorded so-called 'prog rock'. Shite, every single last second of it, absolute bag of shite.

rory, youre a man of taste Wink

The Dude abides
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

to tune one of the violin strings as if that made a difference

I've just tried it, it DOES make a difference Shocked

Bored of Leicester...

For a second I thought you were replying to the previous post.

My favourite has to be that beautiful, elegant yet passionate piano piece called 'Lick my Love Pump'

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Paul

Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 02:45:10 PM »

From the interview with Tufnel

GW: What happens in the case of a chord like G13?

TUFNEL: Okay. This is my other theory:
If you're playing that type of music, you shouldn't be doing it.

see, even Tuffers hates prog rock  
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »

Isn't it generic?  You love or hate this kind of stuff.  For me it's any solo where the objective seems to be about cramming the maximum number of notes into a bar at intolerable volume.  Most of the best-known perpetrators are already named above.

Give me tasteful leccy guitar players who understand the use of pace and silence - Clapton and Steve Hackett for two.

Best "worst" guitar solo has to be Neil Innes on the Bonzos wonderful Canyons of your Mind.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2006, 06:47:52 PM »

Best "worst" guitar solo has to be Neil Innes on the Bonzos wonderful Canyons of your Mind.

There was a fabulously awful guitar solo in 'On The Cover Of The Rolling Stone' which I think was  by Dr Hook Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:20 PM »

Give me tasteful leccy guitar players who understand the use of pace and silence - Clapton and Steve Hackett for two.

As the great Ian Hunter said of Mick Ralphs "You don't have to play fast to be good"

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

It's all in the gaps between the notes...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Matt Hicks
my talent is actually french polishing
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Plymouth and also in residence in Birmingham

The Mothman

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »

As the great Ian Hunter said of Mick Ralphs "You don't have to play fast to be good"

And realistically you hardly ever really need a guitar solo.

Matt

Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »

Matt

That's the bottom line folks  Smiley
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »

Matt

Numpty... without wailing guitar solos me and The Boy cannot play Nutters In The Jeep when in traffic jams

Ooh the thought of my air guitar and The Boy's air drums to Rough Boy or La Grange at full tilt sitting on the road into Oxford

The worst guitar solos are short ones.... bit like blokes - short ones......avoid 'em  Angry

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Matt Hicks
my talent is actually french polishing
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Plymouth and also in residence in Birmingham

The Mothman

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 01:57:34 AM »

You prefer taller blokes then!!!

You're absolutely right Nuthouse about the solos. But then you don't actuially NEED them do you. Guitar solos generally are all about excess in accordance with the laws of rock and roll.

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 08:37:29 AM »

Matt

Numpty... without wailing guitar solos me and The Boy cannot play Nutters In The Jeep when in traffic jams

Ooh the thought of my air guitar and The Boy's air drums to Rough Boy or La Grange at full tilt sitting on the road into Oxford

The worst guitar solos are short ones.... bit like blokes - short ones......avoid 'em  Angry

OI watch it. theres nothing wrong with being verticly challenged. Any more and yer knee caps get it!!
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »

Worst guitar solo? Every solo from Uli Jon Roth  Angry Sad

Some years ago he played a "Rock meets Classsic" gig, Clive Bunker on drums and Debbie Bonham on vocals in the second half, 2 keyboarders, bass, rhythm guitar, an Indian guy on percussion plus a string quartet.
Uli ruined Beethoven´s Ninth, Vivaldi: Spring, Mozart: Alla Turka.

He plays a 7 string guitar, he is very fast, but has absolutely no feeling for rhythm and the structure of a song.

Last song of the gig was Led Zep´s Stairway to Heaven, Debbie on vocals. She started the song very emotional, but Uli turned around to Clive and said :"Speed her up!"  It was horrible  Angry
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »

Uli Jon Roth.  Perfect example of the kind of guitarist you go to see rather than listen to, where the spectacle and the speed are much more important than the music.  You see it all the time at guitar shows where there are hundreds of teenage wannabees with the stance, the distortion, 2 zillion decibels and 60 notes in a bar, but not a shred of soul.

I find it all infinitely depressing.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »

This reminds me of the time I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan back in '87 with Joe Satriani (or maybe it was some other speed demon opening the show). I was amazed at his ability but was bored to tears after about 15 minutes. The guy sitting behind me had heard enough of it as well. I remember him yelling: "Allright, enough @**hole!"

What did the king say in "Amadaeus" when he critiqued Mozart? "There's too many notes. Cut some of them." LOL

PS: for the record Stevie Ray Vaughan was the absolute best in my opinion. That guy could play. Such a shame.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »

Ronald - sorry, "Roland" - Chadwick, he of the tumbly-hand, and the winning way with words and women  

Grin Grin Grin

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »

Must leap to the defence of Uli Jon Roth here.  Although in recent years he may have lost his way and become part of the classic/classical rock freak show, his early 80's albums are excellent, albeit heavily influenced by Hendrix.  Talking of which, I see no one has dared mention the name of the man who put showboating fret mangling on the rock map, namely Mr. Hendrix.  His version of the Star Spangled Banner can be taken as being as self-indulgent as any Van Halen style shredding.  Before I get flamed, I like Hendrix, but there seems to be double standards about rock guitar soloing - its ok if Jimi solos for hours, but not ok if anyone else does it...

Worst soloing for me is the end of Freebird, which seems to consist of 3 guitarists playing the same notes ad infinitum..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 04:38:41 PM »

This reminds me of the time I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan back in '87 with Joe Satriani (or maybe it was some other speed demon opening the show). I was amazed at his ability but was bored to tears after about 15 minutes. The guy sitting behind me had heard enough of it as well. I remember him yelling: "Allright, enough @**hole!"

What did the king say in "Amadaeus" when he critiqued Mozart? "There's too many notes. Cut some of them." LOL

PS: for the record Stevie Ray Vaughan was the absolute best in my opinion. That guy could play. Such a shame.

There couldn't be a guitar player who style was further from this thousand notes a second soul-less **** than SRV, Have you heard his version of Little Wing? That is a guitar solo
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »

agreed regarding Little Wing. Have you ever heard Stevie's "Tin Pan Alley" from Couldn't Stand the Weather? Simply brilliant.

I could never understand why on that one occasion they booked a speed demon to open for him.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 05:05:46 PM »

with the lad being in a band it has been my great displeasure to see loads of young lads involved in fret shredding, nearly all of whom have been bloody awful

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: