TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1223473 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1400 on: February 02, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »

Overall, rather toe-curling. Simon's red sparkly shirt is a crime against fashion, however, maybe it's my hangover or I'm developing a minor crush on '83-era Cathy LeSurf.  Shocked
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1401 on: February 02, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »

Overall, rather toe-curling. Simon's red sparkly shirt is a crime against fashion, however, maybe it's my hangover or I'm developing a minor crush on '83-era Cathy LeSurf.  Shocked

You deserve a full on 24 hour long 'Day Trip to Bangor' ear worm for that, Sir.  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1402 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »

You deserve a full on 24 hour long 'Day Trip to Bangor' ear worm for that, Sir.  Grin

It was a lovely time... Cheesy

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #1403 on: February 02, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »

I'll give the rest of the Guv'nor series a listen.
That version of The Rose and the Rock is great. Is Stella Marris a good one to go for ?
Actually, there was a thread about all this, now I think about it.

Some of the Lesurf stuff is horrific, but Stella Maris is actually quite good. The best one, I reckon.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1404 on: February 02, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »

What prompted me finding the clip was a bit of an Ashley Hutchings  binge on my part this week. I made a playlist of all aspects of his career-Albion Bands, Morris On stuff, All-Stars, just a sampler of it all that I really enjoy. Though I'm not a fan of Cathy Lesurf either, there are a few songs where I do sort of get the appeal and understand why she appeared on so many albums at the time. And when I hear them as part of a broad swath of Ashley's career it does fit in nicely. So I would say keep digging through those albums Mike. Also, though it was somewhat disappointing overall, if you can get your hands on the Free Reed Ashley Hutchings set there is some good stuff there too.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1405 on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »

It was a lovely time... Cheesy

In the early nineties I went to a recording engineering seminar with one David Foister, who happened to be the producer of "Day Trip To Bangor".
He was honoured to have had a hand in a single that reached no. 3 in the charts, but admitted that it's been a bit of a career-long albatross round his neck !  Cheesy

[attachment deleted by admin]
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1406 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »

but admitted that it's been a bit of a career-long albatross round his neck !  Cheesy

It's albatrosses that pay the mortgage though...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1407 on: February 02, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »

It's albatrosses that pays the mortgage though...

Large bill?

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1408 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

What prompted me finding the clip was a bit of an Ashley Hutchings  binge on my part this week. I made a playlist of all aspects of his career-Albion Bands, Morris On stuff, All-Stars, just a sampler of it all that I really enjoy. Though I'm not a fan of Cathy Lesurf either, there are a few songs where I do sort of get the appeal and understand why she appeared on so many albums at the time. And when I hear them as part of a broad swath of Ashley's career it does fit in nicely. So I would say keep digging through those albums Mike. Also, though it was somewhat disappointing overall, if you can get your hands on the Free Reed Ashley Hutchings set there is some good stuff there too.

I have been looking at that box, actually, but it's a tad expensive on eBay. However, Free Reed are selling it without the bonus CD and the actual box for £16....might have a punt... Smiley

Well I never did..
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #1409 on: February 02, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »

Just watched the clip...oppps, really enjoyed it. Proper folk pop. Awful outfits but that was the 80's for you. Was this one of the last clips of Simon sans beard?

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1410 on: February 02, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »

I have been looking at that box, actually, but it's a tad expensive on eBay. However, Free Reed are selling it without the bonus CD and the actual box for £16....might have a punt... Smiley

I don't have the bonus but that sounds like a good deal. There is some duplication from the Guv'nor series which was one of my hangups with it. The other being the book and organization of the discs was just rather bizarre IMHO. Other than that though, for just the music, that is probably not a bad deal

DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #1411 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »

I quite like that actually! But what about this one? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuVmSJxDy0
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1412 on: February 02, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »

OMG, I had not seen those clips before.  Ashley was quite whimsical in the early 1980s, no?
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1413 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »

Ah yes, that show came about from the era when Ashley was in a brief relationship with Pam Ayres.*

*Full details in Brian Hinton & Geoff Wall's fine Hutchings biography "Always Chasing Rainbows", available on CD-ROM from Talking Elephant Records
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1414 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:56 PM »

That one I've seen.
Tyger and Pammy eh ?
I've got a couple of her albums on vinyl from back in the day. I used to do Throw Another Chair Leg On The Fire Mother by heart in my best Pam Ayers voice. It was pretty good, but my Ethel Merman was better.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1415 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »

Ah yes, that show came about from the era when Ashley was in a brief relationship with Pam Ayres.

Blimey - the things you learn on TAW.

Watching the footage with Ms Lesurf...well, I had no idea that Ashley was so adaptable!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1416 on: February 03, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »

I genuinely just nearly wet myself there.  Tyger and Pam.  Well, well, well.  Hilarious.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1417 on: February 03, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

OMG, I had not seen those clips before.  Ashley was quite whimsical in the early 1980s, no?

... and Simon Nicol's Corn Flakes guitar too!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1418 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »

Ashley,it would appear, was, maybe still is, the Leigh Griffith's of the folk rock world!!!!

The Dude abides
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #1419 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »

That line up was superb when in top gear. I saw them in Borehamwood and they had to stop because of  fire alarm, and again at the Roundhouse - that was being recorded on a Teac Reel to Reel I remember!!!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: