TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:19:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1223464 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1320 on: August 22, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

Not sure if it has been posted before, but there's a complete FC concert from the Bottom Line in New York from 1987 (I think) on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGr4_elQ28

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1321 on: August 22, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »

Not sure if it has been posted before, but there's a complete FC concert from the Bottom Line in New York from 1987 (I think) on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGr4_elQ28
This is fab Will! Thanks for posting the link  Smiley

Maart's guitar...  Cheesy I miss that sound

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1322 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »

That looks very much like the "Alive In New York" video, recorded for Japanese TV, in May 1991, & released (it says) by Woodworm Records USA, Ltd.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1323 on: August 22, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »

I think it probably is - there is a slightly cringy introduction when the band members talk about the Japanese instruments they play!  I'd never heard of that video before.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1324 on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

I think it probably is - there is a slightly cringy introduction when the band members talk about the Japanese instruments they play!  I'd never heard of that video before.
It's very cringy!   Lips Sealed  but the concert itself is of the time when I first heard of FC so it's quite special to listen/watch again. In fact the first time I saw them live was the 5 Seasons tour.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1325 on: August 22, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »

Indeed it is Alive In New York and 1991 sounds correct as some of the material was from The Five Seasons. Though you can't see me I was at this show...or shows as Fairport always did two sets at this and other small American clubs in these days. Most of the time you could manage to pay for both shows and get a word with some of the band in between sets at the bar. I still miss The Bottom Line. It was a dark and kinda dingy place, with two annoying columns on either side of the stage that often obstructed the view but the sound was always really good I seem to recall. Saw a lot of other people there over the years too of course-Oysterband, Iain Matthews, Steeleye Span, and a bunch of singer=songwriters.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1326 on: September 01, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »

Fairport's official Youtube channel has been busy today. By last count, 19 songs from Fairport's set up, along with others like Mr. Lacey with Toby Lee. I'm sure you all know how to find it but just in case-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMzMcRsGBw4h6wIR8WYLW_g

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1327 on: September 02, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »

Just in case you haven't already spent ages on YouTube watching Fairport, I'll bump this.

All desk recordings with video from the screens. HD and all.

It's all here

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1328 on: September 02, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »

Brilliant, thank you!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1329 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »

Not having been at Cropredy it was good to see these - a decent sounding set overall but how the Chris song about DIY made it in over Lalla Rookh or Lord Marlborough is a mystery.

Another question though is about Simon - obviously as he is getting older his voice isn't quite as resonant as it was - which is fine by me - but has he always gurned as much when singing? At times it looked as if he was physically in pain, is it something I just have never noticed over the years but it does look a bit odd.

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1330 on: September 06, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

Another question though is about Simon - obviously as he is getting older his voice isn't quite as resonant as it was - which is fine by me - but has he always gurned as much when singing? At times it looked as if he was physically in pain, is it something I just have never noticed over the years but it does look a bit odd.

He's always had a very 'expressive' singing face, hasn't he?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1331 on: September 06, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »

Not having been at Cropredy it was good to see these - a decent sounding set overall but how the Chris song about DIY made it in over Lalla Rookh or Lord Marlborough is a mystery.

DW
Both Simon and Peggy were singing with exaggerated expressions at the warm-up and on Crop Saturday, I assume they've undertaken some exercises to extend their range.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1332 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »

DW
Both Simon and Peggy were singing with exaggerated expressions at the warm-up and on Crop Saturday, I assume they've undertaken some exercises to extend their range.

Good point - I hadn't thought about that. I thought he sounded pretty good on the clips and great to see Naked Highwayman back in the set.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1333 on: September 07, 2016, 09:12:12 AM »

DW
We thought that - nobody would have noticed if it wasn't for those pesky screens!

Chris Dennis

Loc: Perranporth, Cornwall

« Reply #1334 on: September 07, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

Probably been posted before but make no apologies for this version of Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Mary Black - I'd not heard it before today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQWqlbaI6bc&index=1&list=RDLQWqlbaI6bc

Imagine Mary Black doing the set before Fairport at Cropredy 2017 and joining them later for this.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1335 on: September 08, 2016, 02:26:39 AM »

It is indeed a beautiful version and thanks for posting it - I've never heard it before. I love a lot of her earlier, and especially more folky, stuff. However, noting that this was recorded round 20 years ago, and having heard her singing live (on the telly...) a few times over the past few years, I don't think her present voice would be up to such an exquisite rendition (not being bitchy, just sayin', her voice has "matured").

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #1336 on: November 14, 2016, 05:54:56 PM »

Two filmy bits from our Fotheringay gig at Roots aan de Zaan, Zaandam, NL, Sept 24 2016.

https://youtu.be/hkUGdDm_2sk
https://youtu.be/2_rAQGDBwZY

Almost two months after Jerry's stroke, so sadly without him, but PJ Wright did very well.
Also, this was the last gig including Kathryn Roberts whose place is now taken by Debbie Cassell.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1337 on: December 24, 2016, 09:54:51 AM »

Just put on youtube and with a smattering of a Christmassy tune in it, here's a track which Trader Horne played at the Green Man Festival in August this year. With Jackie and Brendan McAuley, Mark Fletcher, Phil Toms Pierluigi Cioci and me :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGECISmy_Y

Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1338 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »

Thanks for posting this clip Jude, I love it.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1339 on: January 13, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

Here's about 20 minutes of Iain Matthews from a show in Texas in 1994. I completely forgot hearing him once do And It Stoned Me at a show roughly around the same period but remember being pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQD8y1tPEw

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: