TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:02:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1238008 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1680 on: September 08, 2023, 09:55:50 AM »

Lovely.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1681 on: September 08, 2023, 10:09:04 AM »

Yes, my Fairport too.  Great fun.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #1682 on: September 08, 2023, 10:53:21 AM »

That's great - and a very good reason to delay getting on with the gardening ...

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1683 on: September 08, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »

I was at those gigs…and still have the VHS tape!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1684 on: September 08, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »

Can you clarify the date then, Robert?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1685 on: September 08, 2023, 03:30:01 PM »

Filmed in May of 1991 if I recall correctly. Would have to double check the video at home. Touring The Five Seasons album. Think the full show is on YT as ‘Alive In New York’

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1686 on: September 08, 2023, 05:21:54 PM »

Filmed in May of 1991 if I recall correctly. Would have to double check the video at home. Touring The Five Seasons album. Think the full show is on YT as ‘Alive In New York’

That would be around the time I first stumbled across the band. I'd not long moved to Oxford and bought tickets for their show at the Apollo, on a whim. I remember the support was the excellent Kieran Hapin. Still have my copy of his Crystal Ball Gazing cassette that I bought on the night.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1687 on: September 08, 2023, 05:38:50 PM »

Fab...glad my old head still works (occasionally)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1688 on: September 08, 2023, 08:13:28 PM »

Just to elaborate further, this was at The Bottom Line, much loved club for folk and folk rock especially, located in Greenwich Village but closed many years ago now. It wasn’t exactly a cheerful venue in the looks department, and had some pillars that obstructed your view. Seating was at long tables and uncomfortable seats….that being said I missed it! Most bands like Fairport would do 2 sets a night and I would go to as many as I could. I also Steeleye there, after Gay Woods had rejoined, touring the ‘Time’ album. One of my favorite memories was Oysterband, with John Jones in full leather jacket, boots and sunglasses mode stepping out on a table in front of  the stage with his melodeon, miraculously dodging people’s drinks. Good times!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 08:28:32 PM by RobertD » Logged

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1689 on: September 08, 2023, 08:48:27 PM »

Just to elaborate further, this was at The Bottom Line, much loved club for folk and folk rock especially, located in Greenwich Village but closed many years ago now. It wasn’t exactly a cheerful venue in the looks department, and had some pillars that obstructed your view. Seating was at long tables and uncomfortable seats….that being said I missed it! Most bands like Fairport would do 2 sets a night and I would go to as many as I could. I also Steeleye there, after Gay Woods had rejoined, touring the ‘Time’ album. One of my favorite memories was Oysterband, with John Jones in full leather jacket, boots and sunglasses mode stepping out on a table in front of  the stage with his melodeon, miraculously dodging people’s drinks. Good times!

Fairport played there in '84 ish as well I remember with a Swarb, Peggy, Simon, DM lineup as I recall...I've got a really good recording somewhere.

RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1690 on: September 08, 2023, 09:08:04 PM »

Fairport played there in '84 ish as well I remember with a Swarb, Peggy, Simon, DM lineup as I recall...I've got a really good recording somewhere.

Yes The Bottom Line and one called Gerde’s Folk City were the big folk venues. Small Town Romance was culled from gigs at both venues I believe

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1691 on: September 08, 2023, 10:25:34 PM »

That would be around the time I first stumbled across the band. I'd not long moved to Oxford and bought tickets for their show at the Apollo, on a whim. I remember the support was the excellent Kieran Hapin. Still have my copy of his Crystal Ball Gazing cassette that I bought on the night.

Sadly no longer with us, Kieran stayed at our house when I booked him for our folk club way back. He turned up with Maart on bass and was amazing although our ears were ringing by the end of the evening. Fee for the night was just £35. A very talented songwriter.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1692 on: September 09, 2023, 11:40:05 AM »

Sadly no longer with us, Kieran stayed at our house when I booked him for our folk club way back. He turned up with Maart on bass and was amazing although our ears were ringing by the end of the evening. Fee for the night was just £35. A very talented songwriter.

After I moved to Leeds, I used to see him play, every now and again, at the backroom of The Grove Inn. Always put on a great night.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1693 on: December 08, 2023, 05:18:40 PM »

And now, a tune oft played by FC... performed here by Yorkshire-based jazz-rock combo Back Door (from their 3rd LP, Another Fine Mess, and released as a single!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XbVWuLNes

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1694 on: January 06, 2024, 11:11:50 AM »

What do we know about this little beauty?  I've never seen it before.  Clearly the '73-4 lineup playing in the Brasenose garden, presumably at that time...

Contains some great local footage.  Well worth 15 mins of your time...

https://vimeo.com/263372898?fbclid=IwAR3aDTVCOCsJyp3QLsm0DKswldNRTcYazFZDGen7kcA740GiaySPphdK9pA

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1695 on: January 06, 2024, 01:30:02 PM »

What do we know about this little beauty?  I've never seen it before.  Clearly the '73-4 lineup playing in the Brasenose garden, presumably at that time...

https://vimeo.com/263372898?fbclid=IwAR3aDTVCOCsJyp3QLsm0DKswldNRTcYazFZDGen7kcA740GiaySPphdK9pA

I've seen the footage of Polly before, but not the rest of it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1696 on: January 06, 2024, 02:05:39 PM »

What a treasure! Thanks David for sharing! Smiley

I had a VHS tape ("It All Comes Round Again"), a 2 hour documentary with "Polly on the Shore" included from this footage, along with much from Cropredy 1987. I would love to have seen a DVD release to replace my worn out tape, because it's a great watch!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:19:33 PM by Glen S » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1697 on: January 06, 2024, 03:21:48 PM »

As has been pointed out elsewhere (and which I missed actually) it is mimed (or most of it is anyway - there's some debate about Hexhamshire Lass).  I asked DM what it was used for.  "Promotion"  Grin  I actually find the non band scenes some of the most interesting parts of the film.

Bernie

« Reply #1698 on: January 06, 2024, 05:05:47 PM »

Thank you David! I have never seen this particular lineup together. Brilliant footage.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1699 on: January 06, 2024, 05:44:00 PM »

I don't think the shot of the baby being fed the dregs of someone's beer glass would pass the censors these days!  Where is that child now, I wonder...?!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: