TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 16, 2019, 06:27:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you remember the first time......  (Read 22820 times)
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« on: September 05, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »

That you heard some serious folk music?

I was about 13 or 14 in the early seventies and my local church youth club got a band in. I did'nt know it at the time but they were covering steeleye span songs. They were good to. when they played two magicians I was blown away. They finished with Thomas the rhymer I could'nt get it out of my head. Took me a couple of years to find out where the songs came from and I've been listening ever since.

when was your first time
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »

At school in the 6th form... we had a common room and a regular folk club gathering.. there was a girl called Jan (!) and another called Tina... and others probably from the local boy's school.. it WAs a very long time ago!

Can't recall titles of much that they played.. but there was Leonard Cohen Suzanne, Banks of the Ohio (did he write that?) and songs such as Crazy man Michael.. and songs by a certain Sandy Denny too...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »

At the home of some friends of my parents in about '75.  Morris On was played on the gramaphone and I was hooked from the age of eight.

Jackdaw
Marky

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

Back Wom

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

1975 again, when my sister came home with Steeleye's  "All Around My Hat" LP.

Keep your glow on...
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:59:22 PM »

Hearing the Weavers on the radio when I was really young (That's Pete'n'Peggy Seeger and friends for those of you younger than me Smiley

(Big argument starts now as to whether that was folk Grin)

As far as Native English Folk is concerned that would be the Aldermaston March in '62, things like The Sun is in the Sky. Ewan McColl wrote most of that stuff.

First folk acts I paid to see at the Oddfellows Hall, Portsmouth in '65/'66:- Paul Simon, Carolyn Hester, The New Lost City Ramblers and Tom Paxton.

There's a quirky set of memories Smiley

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »

bbc singing for schools

The Dude abides
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:59:15 PM »

I've mentioned these before but in chronological order;

The girl who babysat me had Living In The Past as a single. I used to pester her to play it repeatedly. It and the band with the funny name I coudn't remember dropped off my radar for 15-20 years after that. Finding it again and hearing it at Cropredy was beyond special.
A couple of middle aged ladies, Jaqi and Bridie who used to travel around Liverpool schools singing folk songs, in particular Mist over the Mersey and Streets Of London.
The Spinners and the Houghton Weavers used to pop up on local TV.
Mike Harding's Bomber's Moon was the first folk album I bought.

Hard to tell which one is the first serious folk moment.
Now I think about it, it's been an interest that developed in parallel to whatever was around at the time.

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »

Ralph McTell - Streets of London. When I was about seven, I think, it was on the radio a lot. It was the first song I'd ever heard about ordinary, fragile people, and it actually made me cry.

Thinking about it, though, my dad used to sing "Molly Malone" to me sometimes when I was very small. I guess that song was almost a precursor to "Streets of London" and had the same melancholy atmosphere; is it regarded as a folk song, anybody, please?  Huh

Ian  Smiley  Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 05:28:16 PM »

Thinking about it, though, my dad used to sing "Molly Malone" to me sometimes when I was very small. I guess that song was almost a precursor to "Streets of London" and had the same melancholy atmosphere; is it regarded as a folk song, anybody, please?  Huh

'Molly Malone'...wey aye, definitely! That's the sort of thing most people would think of if you say you're into folk music.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

Agent

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »

Does Country Dancing in a small village Primary school count? If it does, when I was about 4.

Serious folk, probably FC when I was about 16, going to Croppers etc.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:39:55 PM »

If Danny Boy counts.. then my dad always sang that when he'd been on the Guinness, so from the first time I could hear anything then!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 06:33:49 PM »

bbc singing for schools

That rings with me too - we were always singing Hebridean songs and Burns songs at primary school.
After that it was Robin Hall and Jimmy McGregor, the Spinners and the Corries on TV.

First real folkie experience was following a motley crew called The Great Fife Roadshow around the east of Scotland in 1970.  Some lineup - Rab Noakes, Archie Fisher, bits of Lindisfarne and a very young Barbara Dickson.

Got my first guitar later that summer too.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »

Actually, in chronology terms the previous post is cobblers.

Depends on your definition, but it was almost certainly John Peel playing Chelsea Morning and If I Had a Ribbon Bow in 1967 and spending all my pocket money on that first Fairport album that got me started.

See Jude - it's all your fault!!  Wink

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »

2 things.

The 6th form college I was at made each tutor group do an assembly once a year. One of my friend's tutor group did the story of the man they couldn't hang, and played the songs live.

The drama group I was in in the sixth form was doing a Christmas variety show, and sang Gaudete. It is the first thing I ever sang in public (on the bass harmony). I then investigated further work.

Paul

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »

Fred Wedklock when I was around 13 or 14 in a local pub folk club sort of thing.  Remember a song about a policeman, and some one being called an ambulance.  Then got into proper music, rock, progressive etc and left the folk world behind until around 10 years ago when I bought a History of Fairport.   Shocked

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »

Fred Wedklock when I was around 13 or 14 in a local pub folk club sort of thing.  Remember a song about a policeman, and some one being called an ambulance.  Then got into proper music, rock, progressive etc and left the folk world behind until around 10 years ago when I bought a History of Fairport.   Shocked

I am a British Bobby, I pound a Bobbie's beat. You can tell it's me that's coming by the pounding of me feet.

Paul

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »

Actually, in chronology terms the previous post is cobblers.

Depends on your definition, but it was almost certainly John Peel playing Chelsea Morning and If I Had a Ribbon Bow in 1967 and spending all my pocket money on that first Fairport album that got me started.

See Jude - it's all your fault!!  Wink

Ooooops! Grin Yes -but what fun eh? Grin Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »

bbc singing for schools

That rings with me too - we were always singing Hebridean songs and Burns songs at primary school.
After that it was Robin Hall and Jimmy McGregor, the Spinners and the Corries on TV.

First real folkie experience was following a motley crew called The Great Fife Roadshow around the east of Scotland in 1970.  Some lineup - Rab Noakes, Archie Fisher, bits of Lindisfarne and a very young Barbara Dickson.

Much the same for me except it would be the White Heather Club first up followed swiftly by Hall & McGregor on Tonight. And I'd have to add the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem who I saw several times (well my folks are Irish).

David, we could easily have been at the same gig in the 70s as I remember the Roadshow crew as well! Small world sometimes eh  Cool

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 10:05:57 PM »

Folk club at the Parson's Pightle in Old Coulsdon mid 1970s.

Chance for some under-age drinking at cheap prices, and good old-fashioned sing-along folk singing.

Then the rugby club (that used the same venue) lost the alcohol licence.  Roll Eyes

A folk club with no beer - well it just didn't work !  Tongue

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Global Moderator

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 12:08:51 AM »

1964/5 - CND and a folk club after school. Our one male teacher played guitar and we listened to his records and sang along. Unheard of in a high school for 'gals'.

Sneaking into the Burton Folk Club aged 15 in 1965. It was in a pub in Stapenhill, the Barley Mow I think, and was all 'shhhh' and fingers in ears. I am sure I saw some influential people but their names meant little to me. I just enjoyed the music.

A year or so later I got in with a bad crowd and discovered other folk music, including early Fairport Grin Grin Grin

It was all downhill from there.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: