TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 01:35:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different in the flesh  (Read 7150 times)
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« on: July 09, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »

I wasn't sure what to call this topic!

I bought a double CD of Rory McLeod second hand from a little CD/vinyl shop we have in Wantage.  I knew he was playing at Party on the Lawn but I knew nothing about him and had never heard his music before,

The first track was Baksheesh Dance, which to me sounded a bit weird and so did most of the CD his vocals were bizarre and I didn't give it much of listen.l He stepped upon the stage at Party on the Lawn.  He started with Baksheesh Dance and I was totally blown away by it.  It all made sense seeing Rory singing live and seeing him as a person.  I now think the man is a total genius and he is brilliant on the harmonica.  What would have happened if I had not seen him live?Huh

Has anyone else had pre conceived ideas about an artist and then come away with a different view after seeing them in the flesh?

GOD BLESS THE BROKEN ROAD THAT LED ME STRAIGHT TO YOU
x

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »

It's worked in reverse with me. I always though van morrison would be a good communicator with an audience...until i saw him live in essen, germany in 1980. The first words he said were. "If you're wondering what i'm doing at a pop concert.. so am I)
   To this day and many shows i've seen since, especially glastonbury, he hasn't so much as uttered a word.
kascade

Loc: bedfordshire

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:28:56 AM »

Rory is a complete entertainer,I love to see him play live Grin
                                Auntie Kas & Stanley Tiara Fez

Don't try to understand me,just love me
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:00:27 AM »

i knew nothing about rory till we saww him at sunrise and i agree, the man is a genius!
still not heard his recorded stuff tho........

and i'll just say robert plant re: the van morrison tale from vince.........

it'll be fine.......
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

Hi

Keeping it in the board... Wink

SftBH are a gazillion times better live than they come over on thier CD's. Skirky sent me some of thier stuff when I was doing my radio thing, and I 'quite liked' it...but the set they did on Saturday @ Cornbury (same songs, different context) was fantastic, thier energy and the fact they were having a ball really came over. I would love to see a longer set sometime  Grin

Same goes for Nancy Kerr and James Fagan, and Kate Rusby (I can't actually bear to listen to her on CD any more, but do love her shows!)

Cheers

Fi
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 11:24:26 AM »

have been trying to think of bands i've seen who really came over so much better live than i was expecting, and i couldn't really, but SftBH really shone on that large stage, next festival they play won't be first on the bill.
not at all phased by the event, not swamped by the scale of the stage, tight, loud, energetic, and very entertaining. if half an hour too short...
shouldn't have expected less i know, but great job all round!
(nice logo too...) Wink

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »

To this day and many shows i've seen since, especially glastonbury, he hasn't so much as uttered a word.

Re Van Morrison, you may be grateful for that. Saw him at Audley End House last year and he turned round half way through and gave his lead guitarist a public b******ing.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »

Is the poor bloke STILL his lead guitarist??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »

Must be a loony to stay with 'im. VM is not good company on performance nights, I have been told on Good Authority.

On topic, Paul Weller was rubbish when I saw him in the flesh, seemed completely out of his box and had a running verbal fight going on with anyone asking for a "Jam" tune. Came across as a complete pillock.

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

The most recent act that I saw that surprised me was Deacon Blue at Cornbury on Saturday.  I couldn't stand them when they first came out (I was only 12) and I was dreading an hour of them.  I actually thought they were a lot better live than they were on records and appearances on TOTP. 

I also think that The Dylan Project sound a lot better live than they do on record.  I needed to see them live in order to appreciate them; on record it just falls a bit flat.  However, that is my impression and I appreciate that most people won't share it.
vikki rose
Sleeves rolled up

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 06:49:57 AM »

Fi & I were discussing this yesterday. Seth lakeman anyone? On record some of his stuff sounds a bit 'flat' but the cd covers & various pictures of Seth looking brooding over the landscape of Dartmoor are suppost to make you forget this fact. Live however he needs no such tricks & plays many more a foot stomping melody.Ahh to be sure.

Vikki xx

Friends of the Oxford Folk festival. F OFF in the nicest possible way......
www.oxfordfolkfestival.com
www.oxfolk.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: