TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joe Boyd on Simon  (Read 6560 times)
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« on: July 03, 2006, 11:12:18 AM »

In Joe Boyd's "White Bycicles", p. 168 (what a time he had!), We may read: Simon Nicol evolved into the most solid sympathetic rhytm guitarist I ever worked with.
I solidly agree, and add that next Simon evolved into a great singer and interpreter (a proof is Excalibru DVD, where Simon singing kiks off a star like Roger Hodgson and sound better even than great Gabriel Yacoub.

Best to all

Paolo
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »

Absolutely! Just listen to the rhythm guitar between 2.47 and 3.10 of "A Sailor's Life"... along with Richard's unbelievable lead, Ashley's jazz bass musings (superb!!) you have Simon's rhythm.... THAT was the GREAT FC sound.... Loads of other examples.... A great player. Still plays very very good electric when the moment carries him away.... MORE Simes! MORE!!! Either that or leave and start your own band!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »

Either that or leave and start your own band!
Now now Mr Diamonds - I thought you were looking froward to 2007!!
We'll have no more of that kind of loose talk around her!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »

Absolutely! Just listen to the rhythm guitar between 2.47 and 3.10 of "A Sailor's Life"... along with Richard's unbelievable lead, Ashley's jazz bass musings (superb!!) you have Simon's rhythm.... THAT was the GREAT FC sound.... Loads of other examples.... A great player. Still plays very very good electric when the moment carries him away.... MORE Simes! MORE!!! Either that or leave and start your own band!

But JoD when Simon had the chance to do his own thing he produced two solo albums which were distinctly middle of the road. You can't force someone to be a rocker when they ain't.

Jackdaw
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »

He's also played some superb electric rhythm guitar with the various Thomo bands in the early 80's....there's a german tv show of (I think) an 83 performance which also features Mattacks i think and Simon makes the whole thing gel together superbly...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »

But JoD when Simon had the chance to do his own thing he produced two solo albums which were distinctly middle of the road. You can't force someone to be a rocker when they ain't.

Jackdaw

You think not? Hmmmmm. time for another Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.... see? What an old f**t I am!!

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »

Either that or leave and start your own band!
Now now Mr Diamonds - I thought you were looking froward to 2007!!
We'll have no more of that kind of loose talk around her!

He can always come back from touring the West Coast of America with his hot rock combo to play a gurest spot at Cropredy.

Wink

Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »

Another interesting point at p. 216 of Boyd's book: one night, southafrican sax virtuoso Dudu Punkwana tought Simon and Richard how to play Zulu guitar rythms for a failed project that truly anticipated Paul Simon's Graceland (anyway a Simon did it!)

big best (and very sorry for penalties in Germany  Grin)

P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: