TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 12:27:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinks - advice wanted  (Read 5834 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: June 08, 2006, 12:31:13 PM »

Dear all

I've recently really got into the Kinks, having bought Village Green and three compilations which cover all periods up to 1986. I really like 'Sweet Lady Genevive' and 'Sitting in the midday sun'. However, reviews of Preservation Act 1 and Act 2 are universally grim.

Would I be wasting my money in getting hold of these records? Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Adam
jOhN
Lord of Time, Space & Beer
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sunny Nottingham

I bet you won't recognise me at the bar!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »

Oh!!!!! ....Sorry this isn't what I thought it would be about!!!! Grin Embarrassed

You could also try some of Ray's solo stuff,

Try here http://www.raydavies.info/

I bet Fat Billy will be along in a bit!!!!! Grin

I am Dyslexia of Borg, prepare to have your Ass Laminated!!!
Neil
About to blow
Local Moderator

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »

The early stuff is generally more consistent, try Arthur or Muswell Hillbillies and Something Else, the later years are more patchy Preservation Act is well interesting but every album has some worth. Also read X-Ray for a fictional autobiography to find out all the "truth" about the band.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:01:57 AM »

How did I miss this one? - Huge Kinks fan here, I even love Preservation I/II, although they are not for the faint hearted.

From VGPS, the next three to get are Arthur, Something Else and Muswell Hillbillies.

If you like what you hear, then Kinda Kinks and Lola v's Powerman and the Moneygoround.

For 'later Kinks' (the album is only 24 year old!) try 'Give the People What They Want - it has some **** (including the title track), but Better Things, Art Lover, A Little Bit of Abuse and The Destroyer are all Ray at the top of his game.

If after all of that you want more, then you are an adict, so buy the rest and listen without prejudice. One day you might even find yourself splashing out £££££ on 'The Great Lost Kinks Album' (which is fvery good) and 'The Dave Davies Album'.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:57:22 AM »

in these days of the internet who pays ££££'s for anything?
esp bootlegs Wink

The Dude abides
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

in these days of the internet who pays ££££'s for anything?
esp bootlegs Wink

'Great Lost' is not a bootleg - it was an official release in the US by Reprise, but never re-issued. A vinyl copy in good condition is expensive.

It is of course available on Bootleg nowadays - but I don't think we are meant to talk about 'unnoficial recordings' here!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:35:26 PM »

Thanks for all the advice - Arthur duly purchased, and great stuff it is to! I especially like Shangli La. Muswell Hillbillies will be next, but I'm limiting myself to one a month (Mrs Adam will not be impressed if I splurge out!). Could be a great year ahead...!

Cheers

Adam
 Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: