TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:17:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: St Agnes Fountain, High Barn, Dec 6th  (Read 9061 times)
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« on: December 07, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »

I was up all night with that Keith, who dared to sleep in 'The Snug' despite my lingering tobacco fumes...hence late report...

But anyway...

I bleedin' hate carols, me. However...

No-one could fail to be enchanted by the delightful aural honey that is The Aggies. David Hughes - coolness and accuracy personified, with an unusual (in my experience) backseat role for the evening, just keepin' it all flowin', and proud possessor of the best 'spoken word' bit.

Mr Leslie - well if I wasn't convinced of the man's virtuosity before, which I probably was come to think of it, well I definitely am now - unassuming, beautiful fiddle and backbeat mandolin to die for, plus some wonderful vocal turns. Oh ye who doubt him, recant, recant I tells ya!

Julie Matthews - marvellous keyboarding and the ability to make a man who hates carols cry at 'Silent Night'. Splendid.

Last but top of my list - Chris While - I believe I may have stumbled across (in the 'smokers' room or 'outside' as it's usually known) and said "You are the best country singer I've ever seen", and I stand by it. But folks, let's not limit her, let's not put her in a box, she is simply the most stunning singer, with a bagful of songs to match. I remain in awe and really quite bewitched.

Managed a chat with all of the Aggies, and what a welcoming, friendly bunch they all are - signing CDs and yakking with all 'n' sundry like good 'uns. Even the soundman was lovely - "Is it too loud down the front?" he asked during the interval at the bar (as you do). Me - "Well my Mum (75) is suffering a bit, if it's loud she gets a bit of distortion what with her tired ears". Duly, the second set was wound down just a smidgen, just to take the edge off. Hence a happy Mum, free to enjoy without nastiness. Hmulley's mum (bit of a family affair, this one) was in raptures all evening, in fact so was our whole table.

Go see. I can't say no more stuff.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:11:44 PM by James SftBH » Logged

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:05:40 AM »

Nothing to add except grateful thanks to the lovely James and Helen for putting me up up with me : their guesthouse comes highly recommended, though I'd stay clear of that snug unless you want terrible duets of Wish You Were Here all night  Grin

Got to speak to all the Aggies last night, and even got a few minutes with aforementioned and astounding Chris Leslie - what a charming man. Mr Hughes was, as ever, the perfect host.

A couple of piccies and that's me, happy as a sandboy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:07:37 AM »

duets of Wish You Were Here all night  Grin

Oh god!!!! Now I remember.......... Embarrassed Good stuff that Brewers Gold.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 09:40:35 AM »

Lovely photos Keith, I took a camera, but was too far back to take any pics.

Amy

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
polly
I came I saw I clicked

its me again

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 10:52:26 AM »

Im off to see them at the Sun Hotel Hitchin tonight.Trouble is there are no tickets on sale  in advance so it is one of those venues where you just turn up and queue and keep your fingers crossed you can get in.Lets hope its not a case  of theres no room at the inn Roll Eyes
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »

Get there VERY early Polly... well worth the Q Smiley

Amy

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 06:07:24 PM »

Lovely photos Keith, I took a camera, but was too far back to take any pics.

Amy

Thanks Ames

Was with High Barn royalty, so couldn't avoid being at the front, such a drag  Grin

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 07:16:06 PM »

Poor you!!

Amy Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: