TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Glastonbury Festival  (Read 8344 times)
Bearded Flip (Phil)
Has a theory

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« on: June 29, 2005, 10:18:56 PM »

Hello people

Just wondering if anyone else is going to this party??? Whilst the size makes it a bit inpersonal, it still has lots going for it.
There's always something going on, and has 18+ stages with a very varied array of music.

Roll on next wed.   

Doh! Didn't see this but in answer - YES and it was fantastic. We had been away for 5 years after 11 years without missing so didn't know what to expect!!!

The Levellers were fan-tast-ic and we were on the barrier for the whole set! Lots of other wonderful music, Peatbogs, Shooglenifty, E Carthy, S Shannon etc etc....the weather was ....hot...hot...biblical...muddy...hot...hot....so 'variable' but nice.....sorry for all the peeps who lost their tents but I think they all got looked after from what I have read...

And my views after 5 years away (hope you don't mind) are that the thief/idiot/townie drunkard element has largly been replaced with open friendly people and I honestly mean that... Yrs the traveller element is no more but thats just the way it is, still lots of colourful happy people and music/theatre/dance/cabaret etc etc is mindblowing...

Oh and if you like Tom Waits, you just got to check out Jason Webley.....he's totally cool!!!!

Thanks...and hi btw, i'm newish ere... Smiley

Magical Sounds
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:22:32 PM »

Welcome, sounds like you had fun  Grin

Haven't been there in fifteen years or so  Roll Eyes 

I can recommend, oh bugger, what's it called, August some time...?!?

Anyone ?

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Karlhippy
You will love it, but it's big

Loc: Birmingham

Brummy hippy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 05:23:51 PM »

Right.....bear with me
Wed: got in after crashes and queues on M5 and road to Pilton. Tent was set up fairly quickly. Got beer and went for tour. Always good to see familiar and not so bits every year. Looking good. wow- the amount of kids (under 12's free). Is it my imagination or is more middle class than Cropredy / Cambridge / Guilfest - who knows..... Wink Meet up with some mates, have beers and jazz woodbine's all is good. Nice sunny easy day, bit cloudy. ring g/f - laughs at me, says severe weather warning on way.
Thurs: 4.30am, watch sunrise - beautiful, with massive cheers from stone circle. Go to bed. wake up around midday, lovely day. Look around meet more friends, much of same. Compare life, all is good. Go to bed at 4am.
Fri - Thunder wakes me up around 8.30am. Camped up on Pennards (hell's hill) The pictures that the Sat papers show are true. There was a river running through the campsite. It was 4+ft deep in places. Lighting is scary (thought it was inside of my head though) Groan and get b/fast. The Thrills - very good, good melody and performance. Find time to chill in the Greenfields, then food and watch the gods that are Alabama 3. Drink some more and watch the Fatboy Slim set from the safety of the main path. The lights, the sheer force of bass + volume. Sit around neighbours fire till 3am, go to tent and sleep.
Sat: have long needed dump - yak, and i thought i had a strong stomach. Get fried egg and cheese roll, and wander over to watch Hayseed Dixie. These guys are class, and HM will never sound the same in these ears again. War Pigs done hillbilly style - mad but great. The energy, skill and passion that these guys show is amazing. Watch the Levellers who are in fine form - nuff said  Tongue More time in the Greenfields and wander over to the Avalon field to watch the Dixie's again, this time with more friends. They are even better. Proclaimers and the Peatbog Fairies follow - I didn't care by then. I walk up into the Greenfields (yes there is a pattern) and lose the next 3 hours of my life. The sun is coming up, and go to find my tent. By the time I pass out it is 5am again.
Sun: much the same (dump, food, beer, greenfields, wandering) Catch the end of miserly Van the Man and watch Brian Wilson with one of the biggest crowds ever. It was great. The sun shone, the sound was perfect, the audience sang and danced to mainly the second part of the set - great classic gig. However he is 'not well' to put it mildly. Watched the the Wailers do a great set of mainly Bob Marley numbers - yeah man!  Caught the end of Shooglenifty and plodded back to the tent and passed out around 1am.
Mon: queues, motorway, bath, decent loo, bed, sleep....

BTW: i would have watched more, but walking in sticky mud (or any mud) takes 3 - 4 times longer to move around.

Where the sun sets, and the melody is fine, I shall be dancing merry with the 'Lord of the Dance'. I will be happy, and let the soul of the earth flow through me.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:32 PM »

Glad to see you made it out in one piece Karl, got all the mud out yet?  Wink

Happy mainly.
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »

Nice  Grin

Ta KH

Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Karlhippy
You will love it, but it's big

Loc: Birmingham

Brummy hippy

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 10:28:55 AM »

It is still the best large festival, but it is BIG and I est. that i must have walked 30+ miles
over the weekend. My legs still hurt, and I think I have lost weight

fun tho'  Grin Grin Grin and it was lovely to see kids enjoying themselves

Bramble FM 69.9  Wink Grin

Where the sun sets, and the melody is fine, I shall be dancing merry with the 'Lord of the Dance'. I will be happy, and let the soul of the earth flow through me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: